Reload this Page >

Remote desktop software

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remote desktop software

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:54 pm

Teamviewer +1 here as well. I went with them when I dumped LogMeIn. I have not looked back since.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
...Remote Desktop tells me that my home computer is "Offline." It's not.
On the home computer:

1. Run Remote Desktop. There is a button to the right of the entry for that PC. It's a toggle. It should say [Disable remote connections]. If it says [Enable...] the setup is incomplete.

2. I sometimes see duplicate entries in the list. Does your home PC appear more than once?

3. If you use more than one Google account are both the remote and host PC logged into the same Google account?

4. Open the Chrome App Launcher, RIGHT Click: Chrome Remote Desktop to see the version number. I am on Windows XP and have 41.0.2272.41 . I gather there has been a problem with the app auto-updating.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
4. Open the Chrome App Launcher, RIGHT Click: Chrome Remote Desktop to see the version number. I am on Windows XP and have 41.0.2272.41 . I gather there has been a problem with the app auto-updating.
Probably should also check the version of the Windows host application through the Control Panel.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:44 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mia
On the home computer:

1. Run Remote Desktop. There is a button to the right of the entry for that PC. It's a toggle. It should say [Disable remote connections]. If it says [Enable...] the setup is incomplete.

2. I sometimes see duplicate entries in the list. Does your home PC appear more than once?

3. If you use more than one Google account are both the remote and host PC logged into the same Google account?

1. My computer was (again) there and with an "Enable" button. Did that.

2. It did this time; it hadn't previously. I enabled the "new" one and deleted the previous one.

3. Only one Google account.

4. I have no right-click option on the Chrome Remote Desktop launcher.

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:56 am
mia

1. My computer was (again) there and with an "Enable" button. Did that.

2. It did this time; it hadn't previously. I enabled the "new" one and deleted the previous one.
Does it now show online?

4. I have no right-click option on the Chrome Remote Desktop launcher.
On my Windows Taskbar there is a square icon containing 9 multi-colored squares. When I hover it identifies itself as Chome App Launcher. If you have that, open it and you should be able to Right click the icons, nor if a version mismatch is a problem.

There is a confusingly similar icon within Chrome itself. When I hover it identifies itself as Show Apps , and it seems to simply be a shortcut to this page: chrome://apps/ in which Right clicks do not display version numbers.

You can also check the version of the Windows application in Windows Control Panel, but I do not know if the Windows version is always the same as the Chrome version.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by mia
Does it now show online?
Now showing online in the Chromebook client machine; can successfully connect.

On my Windows Taskbar there is a square icon containing 9 multi-colored squares.
My bad. I was trying from the Apps Launcher in the bookmark bar.

Version shows as 41.0.2272.41
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:16 pm
mia

We know how to fix it, but not how to prevent it.

While looking at this I discovered that I had the opposite problem. My office PC functioned fine as a host, but I could not launch the Chrome app to use it as a client for other hosts, change the security code, etc. I had to uninstall from Chrome -and- from Windows, reinstall, and then I had a duplicate in the list.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:19 pm

The inconsistency makes it difficult for me to want to travel with only the Chromebook!

However, I've discovered that I can use TeamViewer's webclient and connect to the home machine; I like Chrome Remote Desktop better, but it's good to have an alternative if it mysteriously decides to stop working.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:24 pm
mia

...I like Chrome Remote Desktop better, but it's good to have an alternative if it mysteriously decides to stop working.
Agreed. This is why I kept LogMeIn. For awhile the Chrome client was broken, but it works again.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:28 pm

I wanted to keep LogMein, but I just couldn't do $80.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
LogMeIn used to be my go to product, but I think they waited too long to fix their 'Free' model that was being abused by many for years and are going to drive themselves out of business before too long. I opted to keep them this past year as I got a discounted Pro rate, I closed the account last month and am using TeamViewer, it works comparatively and is free for non-commercial use. LogMeIn is still the best price on average between them and TeamViewer for commercial use, but LogMeIn is going wild with their pricing, their basic Classic account for 250 machines 'Central' was $299 the first year, $499 last year, and is now $999. I think they are really losing it.

Anyhow, for friends and family that I need to remote into I use TeamViewer now, no complaints at all. For home I have a router with a VPN on the backside and remote in that way.

-Patrick
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
How to view/control desktop computer remotely?

I'm headed out of the country until next year. I just bought a new desktop for my business, and may need to help with it's operation while I'm gone.

I know there are free or cheap programs to do this, but have no clue.

The new desktop unit is just a vanilla HP, running Windows 10. 8gb memory, 1tb drive.

I thought the FT tech folk mght have a quick and simple solution. Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chrome Remote Desktop is free but I've never really been able to get it to work (though never really tried).

I used to use LogMeIn until they started charging an arm and a leg.

join.me is free, but it's mainly designed as screen sharing software - you need to have the remote user manually give you keyboard/mouse control.

GoToMyPC.com is free for 30 days and costs $12/month after that. Probably your best bet.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Chrome Remote Desktop is free but I've never really been able to get it to work (though never really tried).

I used to use LogMeIn until they started charging an arm and a leg.

join.me is free, but it's mainly designed as screen sharing software - you need to have the remote user manually give you keyboard/mouse control.

GoToMyPC.com is free for 30 days and costs $12/month after that. Probably your best bet.
Chrome Remote Desktop has worked well for me, and there are clients available for iOS and Android. Used with an iPad, the iOS version has saved my bacon on a number of occasions.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

TeamViewer is free for "personal" use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.