Reload this Page >

Best Pants for Travel - Recommendations Needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pants for Travel - Recommendations Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I bought Prana Brion pants from a local store at 30% off just to try them. After wearing them for the first time today, now I'm regretting not getting the other couple colors they had on sale.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I used to wear cargos for travel, but didn't like the bulkiness. I still have a couple pair of REI hiking pants (one is convertible) and they work better but have a few zippered pockets.

Most often, I wear regular chinos. I found a pair at J Crew that I loved for the fit and comfort and went back to buy a few more pair before the style (or J Crew itself) went away. They are cotton and extremely soft and comfortable. If it's less than a 10-hour flight, I don't even bother changing on the plane. In fact, when I do change into my Nike workout pants, they are thinner and looser, but don't breathe as well.

When it gets cold, I wear a base layer under the chinos and that takes up no room in the bag but helps insulate me well.

When I look at my travel pictures from the last five years or so, I'm always wearing the same pants!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Arcteryx Stowe or Palisade
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:16 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
Arcteryx Stowe or Palisade
I don't have any experience with those models, but I can emphatically recommend anything Arcteryx. I've had the same softshell rainjacket from them for 5 years and used it in constantly in Oregon winters and its condition is indistinguishable from brand new.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Outlier Dungarees
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by greycap7
Outlier Dungarees
Was waiting for someone to mention Outlier. The Climbers are not bad as well for travel
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
While still a big proponent of the Prana Stretch Zion, I recently discovered the ExOfficio Dylan jeans. They are a dark, mostly denim pair of jeans that have my requirement of a discreet zipper pocket on the front pant leg (convenient for wallet and passport). When paired with a nice shirt can have you looking quite sharp (at least better than most of the typical travel pants will allow!)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by island82
Was waiting for someone to mention Outlier. The Climbers are not bad as well for travel
They're discussed a bit more in the *other* pants for travel thread ;-)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ggestions.html
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
My local Costco (SLC) has the Ubtech travel pants currently in stock.

I got two more pairs for even less than last year .... $17.99 !

Check your local store, quick.

Jim
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I recently discovered the Royal Robbins Alpine Road Pants and am a huge fan. They are not baggy like most travel pants, are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, and have a thinner cut but also a slight stretchiness to them. They have a hydrophobic coating and are super easy to wash on the road.

I recently returned from a 3 week trip and found myself wearing these pants way more than my other pair of pants (Levis Commuters) since the RR pants feel like pajamas. They are also great for wearing on the plane.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan
My local Costco (SLC) has the Ubtech travel pants currently in stock.

I got two more pairs for even less than last year .... $17.99 !
Stopped by my Costco tonight (NC) and bought my husband a new color (Drk Reptile - sort of moss brown, or dark khaki? There is a hint of green, I think) These are slightly different than last year's model - they have a comfort waist. The hidden kind, not visible elastic.....
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Stopped by my Costco tonight (NC) and bought my husband a new color (Drk Reptile - sort of moss brown, or dark khaki? There is a hint of green, I think) These are slightly different than last year's model - they have a comfort waist. The hidden kind, not visible elastic.....

So overall still a good buy? How did the last year's pair hold up?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by el aye
So overall still a good buy? How did the last year's pair hold up?
I think we bought the light khaki and navy (? maybe dark grey - I get the pants & the shorts confused) last year and they traveled to Asia for 3 weeks among other things - held up great, don't wrinkle much (for leisure travel we did NO ironing - it's possible if you need/want to look extra sharp for business that you might need a quick press) Still going strong in husband's closet! And given the low price, they're almost a no brainer to try!

I will note that this year's version (at my store at least) is only available in 32" inseam, so we'll have to hem. Thought I bought 30" last year....
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:22 pm

Another vote for the Bluffworks chinos. I got a pair of the tailored fit in charcoal right before my 3 week trip through hot and humid Asia. Super comfortable and easy to dress up or down. They never got wrinkled and I didn't wash them that whole time (and they never got funky). The zippered pockets were super useful. It was the only pair of pants I wore for those 3 weeks (mixed in with shorts when appropriate). I'll probably pick up a pair of the khakis. I wish they had them in navy blue.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

The UB Tech men's travel pants are available on the Costco website now https://www.costco.com/UB-Tech-Men's...100303218.html
Inseams 30-36 which is nice. They don't have the color I bought in the store though. But I'll go through husband's closet and see if he needs navy, tan or grey that they have online....For $17.99

(I got an ankle length woman's travel pant too - nice basic black - I'll see how it holds up for $13.99)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.