Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Business Casual Pants suggestions

Old May 25, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hey folks - I did a search but didn't find anything on the subject that isn't at least four years old.

I'm preparing a "Go Bag." It's pre-packed (due to my line of work, let's just say... stuff happens) with toiletries, four synthetic-fibre polo shirts, undershirts, ex-officio underwear, Tilley socks... it's all stuff I can wash in the sink and keep going indefinitely on. If I throw a blazer over it, it dresses up enough to 'get by' in most business situations.

Here's my dilemma - pants. My clients are understanding enough - if I show up in a collared shirt and khakis, that's more than dressy enough. Sweat pants and/or jeans would not work.

I'd LOVE to find a pair of pants that:

a) passes muster in a business environment. Chinos are acceptable, Adventure-style cargo pants with bulky pockets would not be.

b) Is wrinkle-free after line-drying, versus coming out of a dryer.

c) Dries fairly quickly. Overnight would be ideal.

d) Can be packed indefinitely, but taken out, hung up or in a worst-case scenario, worn right away with a minimum of wrinkles.

It seems I can find that for every single piece of clothing I need to take, EXCEPT for pants.

Does such a wonderful piece of technology exist? Any suggestions?
Old May 25, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I use Outlier trousers, these, they work good with a suit jacket / blazer / sports coat and perfect for casual use too. They dry very easily, can be worn straight out of one's travel bag and weigh very little

They do other models too ^
Old May 25, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I wouldn't be so choosy about pants. In a business environment, I wash/dry clean shirts ten times as frequently as I do pants. What you want is something that resists wrinkling in packing. I've found the Croft and Barrow brand at Kohls very acceptable. And on sale, at $30.

Last edited by lwildernorva; May 26, 2016 at 6:13 am
Old May 25, 2016, 9:46 pm

I'm going to check out the outlier pants posted above, but until then I'll fully endorse bluffworks. I have the classics and the chinos and like them both. Neither are truly dressy in the traditional sense. I'd never wear them to work, but I'm a suit and tie guy. That said, I love them for travel and I've gone to some decent restaurants wearing them without feeling like a tool. They have a great hidden zip pocket to slow down pickpockets and that makes them my go to urban travel pants.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:01 pm

Try Brooks brothers advanced chinos. They fall on the dressier side of khakis and they're treated with a non-iron finish. They're not my number one choice (epaulet), but they're a gtg no iron option for travel.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
check out uniqlo

They have some dry fit fabric pants which would meet just about all of your requirements. (I have the shorts and they refuse to wrinkle, I'm assuming pants would do likewise)
Old May 26, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Dryfit golf pants/trousers

I have four pairs from IZOD: blaçk, navy, beige and charcoal grey. They are light weight, easy to roll up and pack, dries overnight, and light creases come out steamed in shower.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:55 am

Golf pants.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Matrick
I use Outlier trousers, these, they work good with a suit jacket / blazer / sports coat and perfect for casual use too. They dry very easily, can be worn straight out of one's travel bag and weigh very little

They do other models too ^
+1. Great pants
Old May 26, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anything like dockers/etc without labeling/branding, and better 'style' while remaining 'cheap' ?
Old May 26, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anything like dockers/etc without labeling/branding, and better 'style' while remaining 'cheap' ?
My wife just bought me some khakis from Gap. Regularly around $60, but she used a bunch of coupons and sales and stuff and got them for around $30-$40 a pair. I think they're slim or straight fit, don't know, but seem stylish and are definitely cheap compared to those $200 Outliers (which I'm sure are fantastic pants, but they're also $200).

I don't have uniqlo pants, but they're definitely affordable at around $40, less if on sale or clearance. My brother-in-law (slim athletic build) loves uniqlo.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for things like Outliers - where do you buy, and do they ever do sales ?

re drying/materials, there do seem to be some kinds of active pants (outdoor or fitness) that have added more business like styles. or business wear designed for 'tropics'

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My wife just bought me some khakis from Gap. Regularly around $60, but she used a bunch of coupons and sales and stuff and got them for around $30-$40 a pair. I think they're slim or straight fit, don't know, but seem stylish and are definitely cheap compared to those $200 Outliers (which I'm sure are fantastic pants, but they're also $200).

I don't have uniqlo pants, but they're definitely affordable at around $40, less if on sale or clearance. My brother-in-law (slim athletic build) loves uniqlo.
what is the labeling like for gap and uniqlo?

been a little while since i looked, but wish there were some 'cheaper' brands that did the zero/minimal labeling like some of the higher end brands.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:10 pm

I've never seen Outlier have any sales. They're only available online unless you're able to visit their office in NYC.

Their pants are expensive, no doubt, but they're now my go-to pants. I don't travel without them. Comfortable enough to wear in place of jeans (without the weight) and nice-looking enough that I'd have no problem wearing them out at night.

I assume a big part of the price is because the technical fabric doesn't come cheap. Light, water resistant and stain resistant. Checks all my boxes in a pair of travel pants.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Take a look at the Tilley pants. Can not remember the name but the ones with the stronger cloth. I use the ones in Blue as a somewhat dress up pant. They really hold up well. I do not think they would dry overnight that well but I do not see needing to wash them that often.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what is the labeling like for gap and uniqlo?

been a little while since i looked, but wish there were some 'cheaper' brands that did the zero/minimal labeling like some of the higher end brands.
There are no labels on the outside of my Gap khakis. On the uniqlo website, doesn't appear to be any labeling on the khakis/chinos, either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.