No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Nomatic travel bog duffel/backpack on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tic-travel-bag

Is there a frame or what?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Every bag, including this one, which has the laptop + tablet pocket in the main compartment is utterly unusable. I really don't want to open the main just to grab my tablet, that's a recipe for spilled items.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I just saw this on Kickstarter. One of my concerns is that there are no handles on the side, only on the bottom. The problem is that if you are going to carry it using the existing handles (duffle style), you will have to hold it far away from your legs in order to avoid bumping into them constantly. Also, one of the reasons that I carry a duffle is so that I don't have to gate check on regional jets. This is likely too big for that.

I would almost never use a one bag solution and have it try to replace the stuff that I carry in my rolling briefcase.

All that said, I do think that there are times when this would be useful, but it could also get really, really heavy when stuffed.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Used my Nomatic on a 3 day trip last week and will do so again on a weeklong+ trip to CPH next week.

To answer the questions:

* No it doesn't have a frame

* I was worried about get out my laptop as well but it turns out it is not so bad. If you open just the top (narrow edge) of the main compartment you can reach in an get your laptop without spilling the contents. Easy to do even while the bag is in the overhead bin.

* The bag isn't that wide and I had no problem carrying by the handles. But that said, I didn't carry it that way for long distances, mostly around the TSA checkpoint and up and down the jetway. I am lucky enough to by and large avoid RJs (a/k/a "Satan's Chariot") so I can't speak to that but it is not that big a bag -- smaller than my eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible.

I was pretty happy my first trip, but next week will be more of a test. I really like how easy it is to switch from using the backpack straps to the carry handles and not have lots of dangly bits.

I am a self employed tech guy and leisure traveler so I don't have to worry about business attire but do have to travel with gadgets (laptop, phones, etc) Mileage may vary for others...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
How has the bag been treating you?

How does the size of the Nomatic compare to something like the MLC (big but not max carryon) or Osprey Porter 46 (can get over the max)?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by leland
How has the bag been treating you?

How does the size of the Nomatic compare to something like the MLC (big but not max carryon) or Osprey Porter 46 (can get over the max)?
I was very happy with it and will use it again on my trip to PRG next month.

I'm not used the Osprey or the MLC but in the past I did use an MEI Voyager and the eBags TLS Convertible. I always found the backpack straps got in the way when you weren't using it as a backpack, but it was a pain to stow the straps and re-attach them. For me the system with the Nomatic is probably the main reason I like it so much (basically the duffel bag handles are connected to backpack straps. When you pull on one, the other gets pulled flat to bag)

My complaint with the MEI Voyager was it was too unstructured. If you traveled with a laptop you could cinch it down but then it was a pain to get out (and to replace). The problem with the eBags Convertible was it was too big -- I would over pack (maybe more a problem with me than the bag )

The top has small fleece lined pocket that was perfect for my cell phones (2 of them). There is a waterproof-ish "water bottle" pocket that I though would be good for my 311 bag but it turned to be tight for that. And there is something similar to the "forehead pocket" on the eBags. That was great for stuff I was more likely to use on the flight as it was easily accessible while the bag was in the overhead. I also need to get my laptop out while in the bag was in the overhead and I had no problem with that.

One side has an set of organizer pockets. Lap top charger, power bank and a couple of USB cables here -- You could get at them while the bag was in the overhead but it was a little harder than the "forehead" pocket. At the bottom of this was the RFID safe pocket which came with a 3-digit combo lock. That held credit cards I wasn't likely to need quickly and my foreign currency. The other side had a couple of slash pockets -- I put a notebook in one but didn't use the other.

The bottom has a "shoe pocket" but I don't travel with extra shoes so on the outbound it was empty but on the return I had my 311 bag, which made it easy to remove but I did double bag it -- when the bag was standing it was afraid it might get squished (didn't this time but I will watch for that). This is also where you store the laundry mesh bag that come with it (and I don't use).

These top and bottom pockets aren't magic -- they steal space from the interior so there was some minor re-adjustment needed when they were packed.

I chose the waist belt as my "accessory" but I didn't take it. It looked like it would be a pain to put on and off -- negating the thing I like about the bag.

The bag did get weighted at checkin at CPH and I said "I need to remember the weight" but it was early and I was caffeine deprived and promptly forgot it.

I didn't do any really long walks with it, maybe a half mile from the train station to my hotel. The backpack straps were comfortable for that distance.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer specific questions...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
@TheMadBrewer super helpful! Thank you. The bag sounds so close but I think I might skip adding it to my collection if it's smaller than the eBags. I know what you mean about the backpack straps - I never use them for the same reason. I bought a nicer shoulder strap instead.

I'm still in the phase (and yes it might be a problem) where I go without wheels (currently Campmor OPEC bag) to get the extra storage space for bringing a suit, dress shoes and a week's worth of undergarments. The OPEC bag is super unstructured - I use packing folders and cubes with it.

On top of the OPEC I have a North Face Surge II with all work stuff and big personal items (multiple laptops, their chargers, big Bose headphones, kindle, electric trimmer, toiletries and puffy or softshell jacket).

If I could downsize work to one laptop or wardrobe then maybe could attempt it. I know I need to get something for an OPEC upgrade - just not sure if this is the one that can really enable me to be happy onebagger. Might have to aim just a tad bigger for my OPEC upgrade.

Last edited by leland; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:47 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:51 pm

@leland No problem, the bag isn't for everybody

The ebags I was comparing it to is the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible, which on paper seems to be only 1 inch taller and same width and depth as the Nomatic, but I think the ebags "expands" more (not talking about the expansion zipper) so I was over filling it.

I only need to travel with one laptop (MacBook Air) and tablet (iPad Pro 9.7in). I also not traveling for business (though being self employed I am always "on duty") which simplifies clothing choices.

I really like using the backpack straps -- which is why I originally bought the ebags convertible. It is just they got in the way so much when I didn't need them. That is my #1 feature of the Nomatic.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
My Nomatic bag is expected to be shipped this week. Too bad I will be away while it arrives and the earliest I can put it to use will be in early May on my first international trip of the year.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
So, who is it not for? What kind of scenario will it not work well with?
And under that scenario what would be the alternative choice to make?
That would be nice to hear/ know.
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
@leland No problem, the bag isn't for everybody

The ebags I was comparing it to is the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible, which on paper seems to be only 1 inch taller and same width and depth as the Nomatic, but I think the ebags "expands" more (not talking about the expansion zipper) so I was over filling it.

I only need to travel with one laptop (MacBook Air) and tablet (iPad Pro 9.7in). I also not traveling for business (though being self employed I am always "on duty") which simplifies clothing choices.

I really like using the backpack straps -- which is why I originally bought the ebags convertible. It is just they got in the way so much when I didn't need them. That is my #1 feature of the Nomatic.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
isn't this same bag door dash deliveries my pizza in?

i think luggage should balance function and fashion, this fails on fashion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.