Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mariott Rewards
New to the one bag system...shaving question

So I'm new to the whole travel light systems, but since I travel frequently for work now, I'm enjoying the challenge.

For toiletries I've saved hotel shampoo and conditioner bottles of the tall and slim variety to refill with various toiletries and maximize the quart allowance. One question I want to ask the crowd is what you use for shaving? I've traditionally used aerosol shaving creams, but heard shaving oil is great. Anyone go this route to save space in packing toiletries? Any suggestions for a good product if you do?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mcready00
So I'm new to the whole travel light systems, but since I travel frequently for work now, I'm enjoying the challenge.

For toiletries I've saved hotel shampoo and conditioner bottles of the tall and slim variety to refill with various toiletries and maximize the quart allowance. One question I want to ask the crowd is what you use for shaving? I've traditionally used aerosol shaving creams, but heard shaving oil is great. Anyone go this route to save space in packing toiletries? Any suggestions for a good product if you do?
OK, I'm hesitant to reveal this because you might think I'm nuts: I shave in the shower without any shaving creme or oils. I've done this every day for five years and nicked myself once, years ago.

I've found that after I've washed my hair and my face (about two minutes), my facial hair has softened to the point I don't need a lubricant on my face. Or, perhaps more accurately, the water on my face in the shower serves as a sufficient lubricant.

Of course, one of the problems with recommending such an approach is that there's little documentation of how this works for anyone other than me. I think I have what would be called tough facial hair, and I'm not sure my face is that sensitive. Thus, my approach may not work for others.

But, I think it's worth trying when you're at home and have some time to spare. If my approach works for you, you've just eliminated one more thing you have to pack.

And I think it's actually resulted in closer shaves because there's less junk between my facial hair and the blades.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold

I have sensitive skin so I need to take a few extra steps. This is possible while packing light. With three products that take up very little space.

I use the King of Shaves oil, Four drops. ( there are several others check out Amazon) Sometimes I will use that as a pre shave oll and then use a special shave cream (toothpaste consisentcy) followed up by a special skin moisturizer.

How much space? The entire shave oil bottle is .5 oz. About the size of a 9V battery. The other two products I use i dispense into a contact lens case. The shave cream on one side the lotion on the other. I'm good for the week. When I return home I top off the products in my contact lens case.

Contact lens cases are a great inexpensive secure light weight alternative for packing light.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
OK, I'm hesitant to reveal this because you might think I'm nuts: I shave in the shower without any shaving creme or oils. I've done this every day for five years and nicked myself once, years ago.

I've found that after I've washed my hair and my face (about two minutes), my facial hair has softened to the point I don't need a lubricant on my face. Or, perhaps more accurately, the water on my face in the shower serves as a sufficient lubricant.

Of course, one of the problems with recommending such an approach is that there's little documentation of how this works for anyone other than me. I think I have what would be called tough facial hair, and I'm not sure my face is that sensitive. Thus, my approach may not work for others.

Not crazy at all. I've been shaving right after a bath for over 10-15 years or maybe more. I too figured out its the best time to shave for the exact same reason. I don't shave while in the bath though because of many reasons (no mirror in hotels in the shower , the steam interferes with vision, etc)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Love the idea of using contact lens cases! Brilliant!

I also save the best of the hotel supplied bottles and have a nice collection. I hate the ones where the tops are stuck on so they cannot be refilled.

I had an interesting chat with a hotel maid in Oregon who told me that even unused products left untouched by guests have to be removed and replaced from the rooms after that guest checks out. They are not discarded but go into a bin for the employees to take and use or are donated to shelters.

As anyone else come across this?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Every trip I use my iPhone to snap a photo of my luggage and also where I park my car including its license plate. I take another photo of the nearest location sign.

Do it in hotels as well.

Doing that saved me hours of searching in the New Orleans RiverWalk Hilton where there are 2 garages and lots of places to lose a car in the dim light.

PS on super light bags. This discussion has inspired me. I went through my extensive collection of the old LeSportSac bags made in USA and found a super-light messenger bag that may work for me as a 'purse like object'. It was one of those gifts given out at meetings and I've seldom used it. Will give it a try.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Yes, I take pictures of the luggage as well. I switch bags around a lot, particularly on the rare occasions when I check a bag. I've had the misfortune to report a missing bag and suddenly realized I wasn't sure I could accurately describe it from memory. (Blue and grey? Mostly blue? Brand? Green or 'brown'?) Easier to show the pic to the counter person and let them decide how best to describe in terms that make sense to them.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

For shaving tips, the best source is the Badger & Blade forum. However, I can share what I do.

I travel with "Bic Metal" disposable razors in my kit. I then use Proraso shave cream to shave. Proraso can be purchased on Amazon or via Bath & Body Works under the name of CO Bigelow.

I fill up a small leakproof Nalgene jar (.5 OZ or 1OZ I think) with the shave cream. I refill this jar before reach trip from the original tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...ywords=proraso

In the past I've also used Shave sticks from Speick and Tabac. However most shave sticks are a bit heavy/messy for travel.

PS. For Mirror/Steam. Smear a little soap onto a a mirror, wash off with a splash of water. There you go. Instant fog-free mirror.

For a travel mirror I use: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8501-...camping+mirror

Because it is so smooth, usually it will "stick" to just about any shower wall. If it doesn't, a piece of floss is enough to suspend it from the shower curtain rod.

Last edited by LordHamster; Mar 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Not crazy at all. I've been shaving right after a bath for over 10-15 years or maybe more. I too figured out its the best time to shave for the exact same reason. I don't shave while in the bath though because of many reasons (no mirror in hotels in the shower , the steam interferes with vision, etc)
I shave in the shower at home, but not while travelling due to lack of mirrors. However, my tip for the steam issue at home: A number of companies (Arm & Hammer, Tilex) sell a spray that you use after your shower to reduce/eliminate soapscum and mildew. I give my mirror a spray too, and I have no issue with steam the next day. But if someone showers before your next shower, you may have to spray it when you get in.

I don't travel for work, but I tend to one-bag it on vacations. I was fairly efficient in my trip to Seattle a while back where I packed seven days worth of clothes.

I use an Eagle Creek two-sided packing cube inside an LL Bean backpack (sorry, no link, it's 12+ years old).

In terms of clothes, I only brought one pair of pants and shoes (the ones I was wearing). No worries, I brought seven pairs of underwear, socks, and shirts. Also in my backpack was a thick, long-sleeved shirt that I use as a coat, and a baseball cap. All clothes are rolled up, including the socks. I probably had a few miscellaneous items in the outer pocket of the backpack (pens, papers, etc.).

I add a laptop (a major brick on that Seattle trip), a Tripp Lite power strip, generic headphones that came with my iPhone in a small pouch, and my phone charging cord.

I usually bring as many as six Kashi bars for snacks.

I use a flat toiletry bag that came in some luggage a while back. It fits all of my toiletries that I bring from home. --money saving tip: I refill everything from my home if I can (vs. buying more shampoo)--

Two potential disqualifiers from ninja status:
1.) I carried another thick shirt (aka coat) for potential use on the plane, in the airport, etc., and as another layer in Seattle (October trip). And when I say "carried," I pull it through one of the arm straps and it hangs below my armpit, leaving my hands free.

2.) The backpack is usually packed to the gills, and if I were challenged to put it in the airline's box, I would have to force it in, or possibly not get it in at all. Usually an airline will say it's too big if it has to be forced (seen it happen to others). And on really small planes, it will not fit overhead, but is usually not a problem underneath the seat in front of me. That being said, no one has ever challenged the size of my backpack, and I don't have issues putting it in the overhead bin on an average sized plane.

Last edited by FullMoonMadness; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:19 pm Reason: misspellings, clarifications
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I then use Proraso shave cream to shave. Proraso can be purchased on Amazon or via Bath & Body Works under the name of CO Bigelow.

I fill up a small leakproof Nalgene jar (.5 OZ or 1OZ I think) with the shave cream. I refill this jar before reach trip from the original tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...ywords=proraso
+1 on the Proraso shave cream. I use the Sensitive skin version, and, like LordHamster, I scoop some out and put into a small round plastic container that is close to the size of a contact lens holder.

As far as a razor goes, I use a Gillette Fusion Power razor.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16

I had an interesting chat with a hotel maid in Oregon who told me that even unused products left untouched by guests have to be removed and replaced from the rooms after that guest checks out. They are not discarded but go into a bin for the employees to take and use or are donated to shelters.

As anyone else come across this?
Yes. A lot of frequent traveling women I know take the toiletries every day ( at hotels that replace them every day, used or not) and donate them after their trip to women's shelters. Same with amenities kis on planes.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:36 am

This is an awesome thread.

Bag Of Choice
Bags Motherlode TLS Weekender (LOVE this bag)
(http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ertible/143101)

This bag is durable as hell, comfortable to wear for long periods of time, is designed with dual compartments in the main part of the bag, which you can either choose to use or not to use. The bag also has a separate compartment for a laptop, has zippers that are lockable with a TSA lock, and the backpack straps can be hidden if you don't want to use them. Its compression straps work great as well.

Useful Gizmo's

- 13-inch MacBook Air
- iPhone with noise isolating earphones (noise cancelling earphones are too bulky for my travel style)
- Camera

Clothing To Pack

I travel with 5-7 days worth of clothes and that's it. Well, unless I am going for less than 5 days which rarely ever happens. When packing make sure you think about layering your clothes so you can wear different articles differently that will make it look like a totally different outfit.

Depending on where I am going I normally either bring 1 or 2 pairs of shoes. Usually a nice pair of loafers for easy check in at the airport, and sometimes a more casual shoe.

Ninja Travel Tips

1. Roll your clothes when packing. I fit so much more in my bag this way. Recently I packed 2 suits + extra shirts, clothes for 7 days, 2 shoes + extras in this bag with no issues.

2. Only bring your necessary toiletries. Pack small bottles. You'd be surprised how long these last. Don't pack anything sharp (i.e., razor). Buy a cheap one when you get to your destination.

3. Don't check your bag. Waste of time.

4. Check in online before you get to the airport if you can. Just walk straight to security if you're not checking any bags.

5. Pack extra ziploc bags. They take up no space and usually come in handy at some point or another.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
This is an awesome thread.

Bag Of Choice
Bags Motherlode TLS Weekender (LOVE this bag)
(http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ertible/143101)

This bag is durable as hell, comfortable to wear for long periods of time, is designed with dual compartments in the main part of the bag, which you can either choose to use or not to use. The bag also has a separate compartment for a laptop, has zippers that are lockable with a TSA lock, and the backpack straps can be hidden if you don't want to use them. Its compression straps work great as well.
That looks like a really good bag. How long have you had it? Can it take a beating?

I had an LL Bean bag from elemntary school through my first two years of college. I beat it up and it took forever to kick the bucket. So I bought another immediately (my current one). It has taken a beating as well, and other than some fraying of the material on one of the straps, shows no sign of dying.

I've been thinking of getting a new travel bag (using my current for the gym) and yours might be a possibility.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
That looks like a really good bag. How long have you had it? Can it take a beating?

I had an LL Bean bag from elemntary school through my first two years of college. I beat it up and it took forever to kick the bucket. So I bought another immediately (my current one). It has taken a beating as well, and other than some fraying of the material on one of the straps, shows no sign of dying.

I've been thinking of getting a new travel bag (using my current for the gym) and yours might be a possibility.
I've had it for a little while now, just over a year and a bit. I've taken this bag everywhere for all my travel since then. 3 weeks in Europe walking everywhere, trains, airplanes etc. Another week and a half in Europe, same thing, also ferries. I've also taken it on a cruise since then. Taken it to places in the US. I literally take it everywhere and have not had one problem with it. It also has a lifetime warranty on it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
thanks for confirming this!

Originally Posted by Katja
Yes. A lot of frequent traveling women I know take the toiletries every day ( at hotels that replace them every day, used or not) and donate them after their trip to women's shelters. Same with amenities kis on planes.
Glad that toiletries get donated.

Our local women's shelter has a drop off location for such things and is thrilled to get amenity kits. They also need quality toilet paper, diapers and manicure kits (but only accept brand new ones for health reasons.)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Best thread ever! Thanks, all!

Bag: It's a generic gym-bag style bag (rectangular with two zippers along the top to access the main compartment) that I got for free! ^ It also has two side compartments and an outside zippered pocket.

I don't typically travel with a laptop, but if I need one I have a protective laptop sleeve that I can pack into the bag. (Can't find the exact one, but similar to this one.)

Why is it the best for me: When I'm one-bagging it, I feel that wheels end up making things bulkier and so I prefer the shoulder carry. The two-zipper access to the main compartment allows me to overstuff it but still close it securely. I use the outside zippered pocket to hold an envelope for receipts, etc.

Tech: I usually carry only a cell phone and Kindle, both of which can charge using the same charger. Charger is loose in my bag, cell phone in my pocket, Kindle in the side compartment of my bag.

If I know I'll need a plug adapter, I second (third?) the fantastic Kikkerland.

Some might call my lack of tech positively spartan, but I can pretty much do everything I need to on my cell phone.

Clothing: For a week-long trip, I'll typically bring one suit, three shirts, underwear, 4 pairs of socks (socks get wet sometimes so I find having an extra pair can be useful), one pair khakis, one polo shirt. I'll expect to do laundry. I usually only bring the shoes I'm wearing because I've found that I don't use an extra pair enough to justify the weight/bulkiness.

If I'm going somewhere cold, I'll add:
- charcoal merino wool V-neck sweater (I have one by Tommy Bahama that is thin and light but still warm, but I don't think they make it anymore.)
- Merino wool long-sleeve shirt that I can wear under my dress shirt

Unless I'm going to Siberia or Chicago, I've found that wearing the merino undershirt, shirt, merino sweater, and suit jacket are enough to keep me warm. I tend to run warmer than most, though, so YMMV.

Shaving: I'm a bit of a shave snob, but airlines are so inconsiderate and don't want me carrying razor blades on airplanes, so I have to "slum it" when I'm traveling. I usually carry a travel size can of Barbasol shaving foam (I can't stand gel) and a gilette razor. Canned shaving foam is not nearly as nice as what I normally use, but I guess the Molton Brown bath products at the hotel makes up for it.

Thanks, all, for the tips. I'm a bit of a luggage addict and this thread is not helping me quit. The Tom Binh bags look great and the ThinkTank camera bag idea is pretty awesome. I'm a big fan of rolling my clothes when I pack also, so the configurable compartments are probably hard to beat.

I'm also in the market for a new pair of traveling earbuds (preferably active noise canceling), so all suggestions are welcome! arjunrc, how do you like yours?

Happy traveling!

-S

Last edited by Sarfa33; Mar 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm Reason: typo fix

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.