Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by k2trvl
In the context of one-bag carryon, does a DE shaver work if you cannot carry the blades or do you go hunting for blades at the dest ?
I would pick up blades at the destination. You can pick them up in Tesco/Asda etc here in the UK.

I'll admit to not being a flyer, rather a road-warrior. I keep to one small, light bag for the week, most likely a hang-over from light-weight backpacking (10kg bag, including tent, sleeping bag and food for 2/3 days).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Willinahotel
I would pick up blades at the destination. You can pick them up in Tesco/Asda etc here in the UK.

I'll admit to not being a flyer, rather a road-warrior. I keep to one small, light bag for the week, most likely a hang-over from light-weight backpacking (10kg bag, including tent, sleeping bag and food for 2/3 days).
If I fly then I switch to my cartridge razor. Still get an OK shave but nothing like the DE razor. Like Willinahotel I am also a road warrior (with some train time added in for good measure) but fly perhaps twice every 1.5 months.

My recent trip to India was 2.5 weeks so I did check a bag and packed razors. In fact because my next few trips wont be for as long and I don't want to check a bag I took extra and left some in the office there.

Some members of Badger and Blade will post them to their destination. I don't like having to go look for them - even in London where I'm sure every shop sells them.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by arjunrc
For all those who are maniacal about carrying only 1 bag, and need to travel on business often for a week (or maybe more), how about a thread with your tips on how you do it? (And of course, implicit bragging opportunity here).

2) No two bag systems, no matter how small the 2nd bag is. If you are carrying a laptop bag or a tote and another carryon, then its a 2 bag system.

3) This is a NINJA thread, which means your one bag MUST be a carry on, and must be able to accomodate your 1 week needs. (Overnight one baggers are trivial and doesn't qualify for the elite Ninja status )

So lets have some fun... My post will follow soon.
Definitely a two-bagger here.

I don't get the one-bag thing. Carry-on only I get. Backpack only I get...... But once you've gone as a big as airlines allow for carry-on and put wheels on the thing, why not load an extra bag on top. Is there actually any advantage in having just one bag.

And BTW - if you need the full airline carry-on size even for one bag for a mere one week trip, that makes you a cub scout ...not a ninja. (Gauntlet thrown )

Last edited by 5khours; Jul 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by 5khours
I don't get the one-bag thing. Carry-on only I get. Backpack only I get...... But once you've gone as a big as airlines allow for carry-on and put wheels on the thing, why not load an extra bag on top. Is there actually any advantage in having just one bag.
You get people who only travel with a backpack as their only piece of luggage? I sure don't. I'm pretty sure the only people who do that are the ones that fly Spirit Airlines.

But once you've gone as a big as airlines allow for carry-on and put wheels on the thing, why not load an extra bag on top. Is there actually any advantage in having just one bag.
With the incredibly shrinking legroom in domestic coach class a second bag stowed "under the seat in front of you" takes up valuable space that can be used to stretch your feet out.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
You get people who only travel with a backpack as their only piece of luggage? I sure don't. I'm pretty sure the only people who do that are the ones that fly Spirit Airlines.
I do quite frequently especially if it's less than a week. Not really a backpack though, just a Tumi knapsack that's kind of a substitute briefcase with room for a few other things.

With the incredibly shrinking legroom in domestic coach class a second bag stowed "under the seat in front of you" takes up valuable space that can be used to stretch your feet out.
Coach class is outside my area of expertise.

Last edited by 5khours; Jul 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Is there a thread like this for international two-baggers?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Definitely a two-bagger here.

I don't get the one-bag thing.
True, you don't get the one-bag thing

Last edited by arjunrc; Jul 31, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc
True, you don't get the one-bag thing
Definitely not! Can you explain it to me?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:27 am

I assume that the goal of this thread is to not check bag. Are people staying under the 7kg carry-on limit for many airlines? With electronics and without a Scottevest, this is very challenging.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by #10
I assume that the goal of this thread is to not check bag. Are people staying under the 7kg carry-on limit for many airlines? With electronics and without a Scottevest, this is very challenging.
Yes, but this ONE BAG thing is also a sport! Perhaps we live limited lives but I enjoy the challenge.

One of my co-workers finished a trip with only a large shopping bag after her carry on bag was stolen. A very well made shopping bag.

She upped the challenge for the rest of us!

Why not start a 2 bag thread? I do 2 bags when I have things that need to be in a checked bag. The obsession may be expanded to fit our needs!

Last edited by oldpenny16; Aug 1, 2013 at 8:39 am
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:14 am

I can't speak for everyone else, but here's why I one-bag it (for the record, I use a backpack):

- All of my stuff is on my back, keeping my hands empty; one less thing to juggle amongst the potential items: rolly bag handle, ticket, bottle of water, etc.
- It's easier to walk through a busy airport while not pulling a rolly bag, or carrying a second bag -- especially if your layover just became unexpectedly short
- one less thing to worry about going through security, the restroom, etc. -- just one less thing to deal with
- I like my leg room, and a second bag will cut into that, sometimes significantly
- I hate checking a bag because: I'm cheap, and I hate waiting for it to pop out at baggage claim (I want to start my vacation/trip ASAP)
- Even on most smaller planes, I can at least put my bag underneath the seat if necessary rather than gate check
- In the previous scenario, I probably would have had to gate check the second bag, now I don't with one bag
- In that same scenario, I don't have anyone else handling my bag, so the chances of theft, damage, or disappearance into a black hole decline to almost 0%
- I don't play the 'what if' game and pack things I won't use since I only have so much space to work with (Rick Steves said pack what you need, if something changes and you need something you don't have, buy it -- I hate wasting money, but I rarely have to react and buy something)
- I probably spend less time packing than the average person because I've got one bag to pack
- it limits the amount of (my opinion) useless trinkets/souvenirs you can buy at your destination -- if you need to bring more home, 'Rick Steves' it and mail it back (this has never happened to me, but I tend to buy shirts as souvenirs)

Frankly, I started one-bagging it in 2006 and I've enjoyed travel more since then.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
I can't speak for everyone else, but here's why I one-bag it (for the record, I use a backpack):

- All of my stuff is on my back, keeping my hands empty; one less thing to juggle amongst the potential items: rolly bag handle, ticket, bottle of water, etc.
- It's easier to walk through a busy airport while not pulling a rolly bag, or carrying a second bag -- especially if your layover just became unexpectedly short
- one less thing to worry about going through security, the restroom, etc. -- just one less thing to deal with
- I like my leg room, and a second bag will cut into that, sometimes significantly
- I hate checking a bag because: I'm cheap, and I hate waiting for it to pop out at baggage claim (I want to start my vacation/trip ASAP)
- Even on most smaller planes, I can at least put my bag underneath the seat if necessary rather than gate check
- In the previous scenario, I probably would have had to gate check the second bag, now I don't with one bag
- In that same scenario, I don't have anyone else handling my bag, so the chances of theft, damage, or disappearance into a black hole decline to almost 0%
- I don't play the 'what if' game and pack things I won't use since I only have so much space to work with (Rick Steves said pack what you need, if something changes and you need something you don't have, buy it -- I hate wasting money, but I rarely have to react and buy something)
- I probably spend less time packing than the average person because I've got one bag to pack
- it limits the amount of (my opinion) useless trinkets/souvenirs you can buy at your destination -- if you need to bring more home, 'Rick Steves' it and mail it back (this has never happened to me, but I tend to buy shirts as souvenirs)

Frankly, I started one-bagging it in 2006 and I've enjoyed travel more since then.
I agree with all of these. For myself, I would also add that I enjoy the challenge of one-bagging: how can I fit everything I need in the smallest possible space? It's like a Rubik's Cube or Tetris game come to life.

I'll admit that I also get a kind of smug satisfaction when I look around the airport and think that I've been able to pack more efficiently than probably 90+% of the people around me. It's probably not the most flattering thing to admit, but it's true.

Obviously, compared to the convenience of not having to worry about lost/damaged/stolen luggage and of having everything you need at your fingertips (really helpful during IRROPS), the above two points are minor, but, for me, they add a little to the joy of traveling.

-S
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:22 am

The problem with one-bagging, especially in Europe, where I do most of my travel, is that the airlines often weigh your one bag with an 8Kg limit, while they don't weigh the second bag. I usually put my liquids and other dense stuff in my briefcase to save some weight in my roller bag (Although I recently got caught by air france with a 12Kg combined limit for the two bags). I'm still searching for an expandable international size roller bag that weighs close to 4 lbs - any suggestions are welcome, otherwise I may have to make it myself. I currently use a rolling duffel that's pretty light along with a standard briefcase/laptop bag but even though my rolling duffel is compressible to meet the size limits, I'm going to have to sew on some velcro or straps to make it seem smaller to the eye.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:45 am
Original Poster

My experience with EU is a little different - I often fly Ryan/Easy etc - the el-cheapo ones. I've so far not been stopped or asked to weigh my carry on. I think it depends on how 'bulky' the bag looks (or if we are unlucky enough, an agent who just happens to be having a bad day).

The bag I use now, Gate8 looks very lean for the amount of stuff it can carry - maybe thats why. The other thing is many flights there charge you for the 2nd carry on - even if its a laptop bag! The problem of a one bag with a laptop is if I ever have to check it in then I have to take the laptop out without protection. This happened to me a few times with the Tumi I used to carry - to avoid that I would always put it in a neoprene sleeve and then put it in. But with the Gate8, since the laptop bag zips to the main compartment on the outside, it doesn't take up clothes space, and I can zip it out if ever I encounter an agent who has an issue with my bag.

Originally Posted by NYTA
The problem with one-bagging, especially in Europe, where I do most of my travel, is that the airlines often weigh your one bag with an 8Kg limit, while they don't weigh the second bag. I usually put my liquids and other dense stuff in my briefcase to save some weight in my roller bag (Although I recently got caught by air france with a 12Kg combined limit for the two bags). I'm still searching for an expandable international size roller bag that weighs close to 4 lbs - any suggestions are welcome, otherwise I may have to make it myself. I currently use a rolling duffel that's pretty light along with a standard briefcase/laptop bag but even though my rolling duffel is compressible to meet the size limits, I'm going to have to sew on some velcro or straps to make it seem smaller to the eye.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:10 pm

I flew Easyjet a couple of months ago from Berlin to London and they checked my bag in the sizer at three different points (beginning of the security line, end of the security line and at the gate - this was despite it having the "cabin baggage" sticker the third time). It fit every time, but it looks bulky (and I travel with a pillow which is compressible but bulky).

I'm thinking I may need to get some kind of vacuum bag kit and a smaller bag for flying those airlines. Also, I actually bought a "Bagket" but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.