Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 camera for newbie -- sunsets are important

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jec6613
Heh, not quite so simple. Within the same generation, with the same resolution, from the same manufacturer, I would buy, but just compare the Canon and the Sony sensors and you'll see that Sony APS-C sensors are several generations ahead of Canon full frame sensors in dynamic range. The picture is far more complicated than it appears.

Anyway, aside from that, although the Sony has already been purchased (and it's quite a nice camera, too!) for those looking in the future, check out the Nikon 1 line. There's always a few models sub-$500, and they're compact and easy to travel with, plus the autofocus is as fast as a D3x00 series DSLR, and the interchangeable lenses give versatility without too much size creep. My fianc and best friend both ended up with them for that reason - in between a phone and DSLR in quality (almost exactly in the middle, from what I've seen) and small to travel with.

For myself, I have a D7100 as my primary body when weight isn't a concern, and a D5100 for when I want to go light. The D5100 kit, which has plastic kit lenses with it, is actually lighter than most Sony mirrorless setups when lenses and everything are taken into account. It's also bulkier, as that mirror takes up space, and the lenses need to take into account the flange focal distance, but the compatibility with the rest of my Nikon stuff makes it well worth it.
I own Nikon 1 gear (I own a V2, formerly owned a V1), and I have to say, this is one camera lineup that IS let down by the Sensor technology. The Sony 1" sensor is FAR superior to that in any Nikon 1. That being said, the Continuous tracking AF performance is great, and that's the ONLY reason I would ever use my Nikon V2 over my Olympus M4/3 gear (I have an OM-D EM-1 and an E-PL5) - when I know that tracking AF performance will be important for me.

Basically, due to the sensor, the Nikon 1 system is very quality limited at ISOs above 800, whereas Micro 4/3 gear can do well up to ISO 3200, and most current generation APS-C systems can do well up to ISO 6400.

Sony's 1" sensor in the RX100 family is between 1 and 1.5 EV better than the 1" Aptiva sensor in Nikon 1 cameras.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: IHG Plat
i just got the pentax k-50 with 50mm lens for ~$490. and im very happy with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_body.html
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I own Nikon 1 gear (I own a V2, formerly owned a V1), and I have to say, this is one camera lineup that IS let down by the Sensor technology. The Sony 1" sensor is FAR superior to that in any Nikon 1. That being said, the Continuous tracking AF performance is great, and that's the ONLY reason I would ever use my Nikon V2 over my Olympus M4/3 gear (I have an OM-D EM-1 and an E-PL5) - when I know that tracking AF performance will be important for me.

Basically, due to the sensor, the Nikon 1 system is very quality limited at ISOs above 800, whereas Micro 4/3 gear can do well up to ISO 3200, and most current generation APS-C systems can do well up to ISO 6400.

Sony's 1" sensor in the RX100 family is between 1 and 1.5 EV better than the 1" Aptiva sensor in Nikon 1 cameras.
The Aptina sensor's ISO performance is fortunately its only issue, because the tracking AF, and the compact size (an entire stable of lenses is smaller than my 16-85 mm VR), it makes a good travel partner.

Since Aptina may be exiting the camera sensor business, the rumor is that the J5 may get the Sony sensor from the RX series ... and if so, wowzers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.