FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   $500 camera for newbie -- sunsets are important (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1655162-500-camera-newbie-sunsets-important.html)

chx1975 Feb 15, 2015 11:05 am

$500 camera for newbie -- sunsets are important

So I have budgeted $500 for a camera that will be used to shoot sunsets most of the time. You should see the sunsets from my balcony you would understand :) Of course I travel too so size is a concern. Note: my photography skills and knowledge extend to the very skilled pressing of the shutter button :P

I am thinking of the Sony NEX-5T or perhaps the DSC-RX100 (even the II can be found now on eBay for just under $500). Even the Fujifilm X-M1 can be found for in the $450 shipped range... If DSLR, then the Nikon D3300, the D5200 or the Canon SL1 -- but these are quite heavy... So many choices, so hard to decide.

abmj-jr Feb 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Unless you want to spend the time and effort learning photography you should stay away from pro or semi-pro equipment. It is a complete waste to buy something like the NEX and just leave it set on "Auto." You are far better off buying one of the higher-end point and shoot cameras, which will do more to get the best out of your non-existent skills.

Something like the Sony DSC-RX100 or the Ricoh GR would be a good choice.

DaveNCL Feb 16, 2015 4:11 am

I was in a similar position where is wasn't happy with the quality of my iPhone 6 photos and wanted something a little better but still small enough to carry around and work out how to use it correctly.

I went for the RX100 and used it for the first time in Seattle over new year. It served me very well and i was very impressed with the photos. I can't wait to use it in Japan next month.

JR14 Feb 16, 2015 6:06 am

Putting in another vote for the RX100 -- it offers fantastic image quality for a point and shoot, and I've had no complaints about sunset photos with it :)

Compared with other cameras from the same year (and a lot of newer ones) its low-light photos are pretty incredible, too.

chx1975 Feb 16, 2015 8:35 pm

RX 100 II it is. Sony Stores are closing across Canada so I got a 450 CAD (+taxes, that's 400 USD inc taxes) offer on an open box -- how could I resist that?

JR14 Feb 17, 2015 5:06 am

Sounds like a great deal! Enjoy the new camera :)

chongl Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am

I got mine 2 months ago...Mark III open box at Best Buy for 515 with card and case.

indelible Feb 23, 2015 12:45 pm

a tripod

lhgreengrd1 Feb 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by indelible (Post 24401634)
a tripod

For traveling, and given the OP's overall interests and skill set, I'd prefer a small camera with good lens and image stabilization and a remote shutter release. A small bean bag could be added if needed, but I doubt that it would be.

ekwang Feb 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 24355602)
So I have budgeted $500 for a camera that will be used to shoot sunsets most of the time. You should see the sunsets from my balcony you would understand :) Of course I travel too so size is a concern. Note: my photography skills and knowledge extend to the very skilled pressing of the shutter button :P

I am thinking of the Sony NEX-5T or perhaps the DSC-RX100 (even the II can be found now on eBay for just under $500). Even the Fujifilm X-M1 can be found for in the $450 shipped range... If DSLR, then the Nikon D3300, the D5200 or the Canon SL1 -- but these are quite heavy... So many choices, so hard to decide.

Wait for the Canon EOS M3. But. Don't spend a ton on the camera, put your money in your glass.

chongl Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm

EOS M3 isn't coming to America if that's where he's located. It'll be other markets just like the M2

beachmouse Feb 23, 2015 10:47 pm

On behalf of the Spousal Unit who teaches college photography, I'll throw in another vote for the RX100. He's really impressed with what Sony's done with a point and shoot camera with it.

chx1975 Feb 23, 2015 11:42 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chx/se...7648551057824/ the little Sony is making nice pictures of the sunsets :) I bought a Gorillapod Hybrid and afix the camera to the balcony railing with it and use my tablet as remote shutter because the RX 100 II even lets you do that -- free remote shutter. For travel, I have the original Gorillapod but it's too small for a grip on the balcony railing that doesn't make me nervous, the Hybrid is huge and wraps itself around it.

Also, while I would have zero problems buying something from the UK/EU, the M3 is €769.99 how did that appear in a $500 camera thread :) ?

ScottC Feb 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 24404751)

Also, while I would have zero problems buying something from the UK/EU, the M3 is €769.99 how did that appear in a $500 camera thread :) ?

Same reason "buy Apple" shows up in budget computer threads. Some people are fans of certain brands, and are oblivious to things like cost :D

ekwang Feb 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi,

Not an obligatory Canon or Apple guy, so if I came across as such please forgive me. Out of ignorance I gave my response without realizing its cost or availability. That being said, whatever camera is purchased, I would find a way to get one with the best glass possible and not worry about the bells and whistles on the camera body itself.