Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'll get a far worse deal exchanging for THB at a US soil bank.

Either bring cash and exchange at one of the services (Superich et al) - that is, stay away from proper banks and definitely their kiosks in the airports - or use an ATM from a bank that refunds fees.
Ok, is there a Superich at BKK arrivals and where? Usually forex exchange at the airport is a rip off, but that's not the case in Thailand?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by nk15
Ok, is there a Superich at BKK arrivals and where? Usually forex exchange at the airport is a rip off, but that's not the case in Thailand?
All exchange rates in the airport are set by AoT with the exception of the services offered on the lower level in the Airport Link area. There is Superich (green) and also (orange) as well as Value+ and other companies. With the exception of this one area rates throughout the airport will be depressed by >5% (usually about 2 THB /USD below market rates).

I've been using Superich (green) for years with no problems.

The main branch will give you a slightly better rate but unless you're exchanging a large sum or will be situated proximal to Ratchaprasong there's little reason to venture to the main branch.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All exchange rates in the airport are set by AoT with the exception of the services offered on the lower level in the Airport Link area. There is Superich (green) and also (orange) as well as Value+ and other companies. With the exception of this one area rates throughout the airport will be depressed by >5% (usually about 2 THB /USD below market rates).

I've been using Superich (green) for years with no problems.

The main branch will give you a slightly better rate but unless you're exchanging a large sum or will be situated proximal to Ratchaprasong there's little reason to venture to the main branch.
So, should I just find a green Superich exchange at arrivals and use it? Where are these located at international arrivals?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, should I just find a green Superich exchange at arrivals and use it? Where are these located at international arrivals?
As was stated, Airport Rail Link level.

Anywhere else in the airport and you're giving money freely to AoT.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As was stated, Airport Rail Link level.

Anywhere else in the airport and you're giving money freely to AoT.
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if that was the cheap or the expensive one. Is the airport rail link level before or after the taxis/ubers/limos, would I have to back track a lot to find it, we will have luggage.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Rail Link is in the basement (B) while taxis are on Floor 1 and uber/limos on Floor 2. Uber can also be on Floor 4 .... depending.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Rail Link is in the basement (B) while taxis are on Floor 1 and uber/limos on Floor 2. Uber can also be on Floor 4 .... depending.
Ok, thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: most of them
I used the orange Superrich at the Asok BTS on my recent trip. Rates didn't seem to be all that different between the various options. When changing relatively small amount (like $100) it didn't seem worthwhile to waste a lot of time searching for the absolute best rate.

There's a good post a couple of pages back listing a variety of exchange places.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
This is useful to know. ^ I've sorta figured the airport rates weren't that great so I would typically change only $20 or so there, but this could be an alternative.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used an AEON ATM yesterday (16 April) in Bangkok with a U.S. Visa debit card, the fee showed as 150 THB.

I haven't stayed up to date on the fees at other ATMs, using either MC or Visa, but think they may be in the 180 - 200 THB range. You should get notice of this before finalizing your transaction.

A neighbor was complaining recently about using MC at Kasikorn, or Krungsri (Bank of Ayudhya), and getting hit with a 200 THB charge.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by transpac

I haven't stayed up to date on the fees at other ATMs, using either MC or Visa, but think they may be in the 180 - 200 THB range. You should get notice of this before finalizing your transaction.
The upper limit is now 220 THB. Data point: Kasikorn ATM late Feb 2017
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
So, what's the deal here guys, best to bring cash than using atms? Do currency exchanges charge commission in Thailand? Or should I get thb at a US bank at home?
I have always used ATMs and withdraw enough each time so that the 150-200 baht charge while annoying is no big deal.

But most importantly, for all travel I deliberately found a card that doesn't charge ATM withdrawal fees or currency exchange fees. It was a credit card but then that card stopped worldwide fee-free ATM use, so it's now a VISA debit card.

Carrying/exchanging foreign currency, bringing in THB, or trying to get a local bank account on a tourist visa strike me as way more difficult/expensive but YMMV.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
The upper limit is now 220 THB. Data point: Kasikorn ATM late Feb 2017
Yes, 220 THB on the high end since mid-January I guess, typo in my post. Heard reports of 220 baht for SCB and Kasikorn, assume the others are following.

Evidently Bank of China does NOT charge any ATM fee. However they have relatively few ATMs, only accept MC; dish out a max. of 30,000 THB.

http://www.bankofchina.com/th/en/aboutus/ab3/
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
After found this thread I always withdrew from Aeon ATMs. However, I got a new debit card (UK bank current account, visa debit) and it doesn’t seem to work in Aeon. I’ve tried 3 ATMs and one, in English, said the card wasn’t supported the others had a message in Thai, probably saying same.

Not sure why, works ok in K bank, Bangkok Bank, SCB and the yellow ones!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No clue about the challenges using AEON ATMs?

I continue to use my U.S. Visa ATM/Debit card at AEON successfully, their fee remains 150 THB, which my card-issuer rebates, usually within 24 hours.

With AEON ATMs the first menu option when inserting the card is the language option, so selecting English may be the best option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.