Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Originally Posted by rally
I used magicjack over WIFI from my hotel window , signal was only 2 bars out of 5 on my Dell Mini

It worked "OK" if you are calling a friend who will not be pissed off when you keep saying "what" as the line quality is poor ,

but its basically free since you are using your magicjack USA number calling another USA number,

I used it to call my friends but used my cell phone to call for business.

Rally
I was in Thailand a few months ago and tried using Magic Jack from WiFi and LAN in various hotels in BKK & Chiang Mai. Lots of dropouts and delays. Broadband speeds were just not fast enough. I ended up using it just to check my voice mail on my home and business phones back in LA.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
i'll be in BKK later this month for a few weeks. can I just go to a 7-11 and buy a SIM card? if so, which one? My phone calls will be local and I'm looking for something inexpensive.
Yes, you can. Doesn't much matter which one you buy, they're all more or less the same.

Lastly, will the SIM card work in neighboring cities and countries for incoming calls? I will be in Southern Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
Yes, but you'll probably need to explicitly activate roaming, and doing anything other than SMS while roaming will drain your balance very fast indeed.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
how do I check if my 1-2-go Sim is vadid from USA ?

Hi....

I have a 1-2-go sim that I last used in May 09,
I put some baht in it before I left but am not sure if thats enough,
I will be back mid November,

Is there some way to check when it expires from the USA ?
website would be best ,
but I guess I could call Thailand if I had to , any English customer service numbers ?

thanks for your help

Rally
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:54 pm

*121# Send

You'll receive a reply with balance & validity.

Assumes you have a GSM1900 phone and a signal from AT&T/T-Mo.

You could also top-up from the USA or someone in Thailaind could top your phone up for you, or transfer balance (up to 100 baht) and/or validity (20 days).

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...eOne2Call.html
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:27 pm

If you recharged before leaving, you should have extended term for another 1 year (to May 2010).....
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
If you recharged before leaving, you should have extended term for another 1 year (to May 2010).....
Not necessarily, it depends on the type of plan the OP is on, and what their accumulated top-up position was at the time of the last top-up.

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...nit/index.html

For those who top-up frequently they eventually get to the point where any typical top-up adds 30 days and extends the validity to a maximum of 366 days.

The OP probably only did a few top-ups so maybe was in the 60 - 120 day range when they left? Again just a guess, *121# should give an accurate picture, although I'm not sure if you had to enable international roaming first?

If *121# doesn't work (it always works for me), then pop an email to [email protected]

You can also call from a phone (other than your mobile) 011 66 2 271 9000 for customer service.

Last edited by lomatopo; Sep 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm Reason: corrected service msg number
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by lomatopo
*121# Send
This won't work outside the AIS network, and the OP is in the US.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
This won't work outside the AIS network, and the OP is in the US.
Of course it works in the U.S.A. (assuming you have a GSM1900-capable phone and have a signal from AT&T or T-Mo) I use it all the time and I never would have suggested it if it wouldn't work.

FWIW, when as a One-2-Call pre-/post-paid customer roaming internationally you are on the AIS/One-2-Call network, you'll see "TH-GSM" on the display of your phone. Every *xxx (messaging) and 900xxx (IVR) service works in the U.S.A., at least they do for me.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:07 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Of course it works in the U.S.A. (assuming you have a GSM1900-capable phone and have a signal from AT&T or T-Mo) I use it all the time and I never would have suggested it if it wouldn't work.

FWIW, when as a One-2-Call pre-/post-paid customer roaming internationally you are on the AIS/One-2-Call network, you'll see "TH-GSM" on the display of your phone. Every *xxx (messaging) and 900xxx (IVR) service works in the U.S.A., at least they do for me.
Works for me too....just as you stated. T-Mo (Deutsch Telekom) is an AIS partner in the USA and Germany.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by maskedavenger
Works for me too....just as you stated. T-Mo (Deutsch Telekom) is an AIS partner in the USA and Germany.
And it worked for me just now in Israel using my One-2-Call prepaid SIM on Israel's Cellcom network.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:08 pm

Not necessarily, it depends on the type of plan the OP is on, and what their accumulated top-up position was at the time of the last top-up.

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...nit/index.html
I've had the same prepaid 1-2Call number for many years. When I first got it, just before I left put in B$100 and it said one more year left. Everytime I visit, pop in another B$100 and it always extends 1 more year - at least for me
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Hi

It WORKED, and I have till June 2010,

I just happened to unlock my T mobile phone today !

the 1-2 call Sim brought up Cingular network, I had to play with the network setting as it did not go thru the first few times,

but it finally worked,

thanks for your help, it seems others will need to do this too

Rally

PS....can I send text messages from my 1-2-call sim back to Thailand and will they be able to respond and I will recieve the text in California?

and what would 1-2-call charge for a text this way ?

Last edited by rally; Sep 26, 2009 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:17 pm

Try *777# Send to see which calling plan you have. Unless you topped up quite a few times you might be on one of the Sawasdee SIM plans. I think the government asked all operators to offer inexpensive 365 day validity plans as a form of consumer protection.

Validity varies by both calling plan and top-up amount, as indicated in the table I linked to in a previous post.

You can check your balance on line, and perform quite a few other activities, but you need to be able to receive a one-time password on your phone.

Go to http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...eOne2Call.html

Choose "Online Services", enter your phone number 08xNNNXXXX, wait for the one-time password to be delivered to your phone as an SMS, then log-in. You can then check your balance and validity. You can originate SMSes as well, change promotions, enable international roaming, add data (GPRS/EDGE) plans, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:36 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
true vs 1,2

I have a true sim that says it is good for one year, but I have been told it has to be used every 90 days or it expires! I can't use it in the US as it does not pick up any network - so it sounds as if I should get a different sim next time I'm in Thailand?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by rally
PS....can I send text messages from my 1-2-call sim back to Thailand and will they be able to respond and I will recieve the text in California?

and what would 1-2-call charge for a text this way ?
Yes, you can originate and receive SMSes.

I think it will cost you 20 THB (or possibly 10 THB?) per message to send an SMS from the U.S.A. to Thailand, I think it will be free (for you) to receive an SMS sent to you from Thailand, but the sender will pay 10 THB to send the SMS to you (approximately, operator/plan dependent).

Note that you can originate an SMS online for 1 THB; to the recipient it will look like it came from your phone/number.

http://www.roaming.ais.co.th/ais-ir-...plication.html

One-2-Call international roaming services are bundled under the Freedom Planet name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.