Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this research referenced in tweets and articles over the past week...

Uber seems to be best, cost-wise, for THL.

Uber, Grab, or taxi: What’s the cheapest ride in Southeast Asia? (infographic)
Attached Images  
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Perhaps - but I tried to call UberX a few times in Bangkok and no cars were available. They wanted me to take UberBlack which is more expensive than a taxi. I waited 30 minutes and a UberX car finally appeared. The rate was the same as a taxi so really other than the fact that I didn't have to argue about using the meter it was pointless to use Uber. Further the Uber driver stopped and grabbed a snack (to go) during my ride. Taxi's have done the same to me, so can't say Uber is worse. But I'd expect them to be better (since I gave the fellow a bad review).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
....The rate was the same as a taxi so really other than the fact that I didn't have to argue about using the meter it was pointless to use Uber. ...
Which alone makes Uber worthwhile .

Add in the certainties of a roadworthy car and online assistance if things go wrong: plus no tolls to pay and no cash to mess about with at journey's end .... I'd say Uber comes out well.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Which alone makes Uber worthwhile .

Add in the certainties of a roadworthy car and online assistance if things go wrong: plus no tolls to pay and no cash to mess about with at journey's end .... I'd say Uber comes out well.
IF you can find a car. None were available and had to wait 30 minutes. That does not make it worthwhile imo, although I'm not sure it's a regular occurrence. Used Uber again yesterday and one was available straight away (and many other little cars were nearby on the map).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
IF you can find a car. None were available and had to wait 30 minutes. That does not make it worthwhile imo, although I'm not sure it's a regular occurrence. Used Uber again yesterday and one was available straight away (and many other little cars were nearby on the map).
Availability is very much situational and time dependent. If my destination is one where a taxi will go, and there are no ubers around, then I'll just hail a cab. To a destination where I have traditionally had problems getting a taxi to go I'll either wait for one to appear or take alternative transpo if possible.

Other than a trip to/from the airport I find Uber rates to be cheaper than a taxi though.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok taxi driver goes online in five minute "Uber" rant

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver has gone online with a five minute mega-rant moaning about Uber taking his customers and his livelihood.

He appeals to the police and the land department - everyone he can think of - to run Uber out of town for making his life a misery.

Posted on Facebook the driver is in his cab at the time saying as he starts the five minute video diatribe that he has been driving around for an hour without seeing any hope of a customer, reports Thairath.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...ute-uber-rant/
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Bangkok taxi driver goes online in five minute "Uber" rant

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver has gone online with a five minute mega-rant moaning about Uber taking his customers and his livelihood.

He appeals to the police and the land department - everyone he can think of - to run Uber out of town for making his life a misery.

Posted on Facebook the driver is in his cab at the time saying as he starts the five minute video diatribe that he has been driving around for an hour without seeing any hope of a customer, reports Thairath.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...ute-uber-rant/
I'll bet this is the same driver who I have to argue with every time about using the meter as opposed to trying to charge me extra. The reality is if taxi's provided such a good service the competitor wouldn't have grown so fast. Stop complaining and stop whining and increase the level of your service and watch what happens.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen some Tweets and Thai social media posts over the past few days re: random police stopping of Uber, and other car-hire services, vehicles without green plates, which would be technically illegal. Your driver may ask you to pretend to be their "friend". No clue what might happen to either the driver or the passenger. Maybe have some extra cash on hand to pay the "Administrative Fee" on the spot? (Edited to add: the fine for the driver is 2,000 baht, not sure what happens to the passenger, but suspect you would be asked to exit the vehicle, and hopefully be able to find a taxi?)

I have seen a marked increase in police check-points on the roads driving around Bangkok where I mostly drive (Bang Na Trat, Srinakrin). I haven't been stopped yet.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 10, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have also been some posts on Thail social media re: drivers getting more aggressive re: tips, and responding negatively when not receiving them.

Following online ads, officials threaten to arrest Uber drivers (again)

Yet again Thai authorities have threatened to arrest Uber drivers following the ride sharing app’s campaign to recruit new drivers.

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) on Monday annouced a crackdown on Uber drivers and asked police to arrest drivers on the spot with a charge of using a personal vehicle as public transportation, said DLT Duputy Director-General Nantapong Chertchu.

The deputy director-general claimed the Department is trying to raise awareness about the law that Uber partners are breaking, as well as enforcing the law, reported Daily News.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/0...-drivers-again
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:44 am

I was in BKK last month. Took Uber several times, and booked the Uber SUV each time as we had two toddlers with strollers. Very professional drivers and would recommend. After our first attempt at a cab (needed two), and dealing with rude drivers (who at least turned on the meter) we never looked back.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Just a quick note to share my experience with Uber in Bangkok over the last few days - I guess a took Uber 4 or 5 times including the trip to and from BKK airport.

One thing all of these rides had in common is that the drivers spoke absolutely no English. This was however not an issue except for our last ride back to BKK (see more on this below).

In all instances I took the standard uber vehicle which was usually a standard size toyota sedan. Once we had a US style pick up truck, which was good for luggage.

In terms of fares, within town from Phloen chit until the Mandarin Oriental was 120 baht. Airport to Phloen chit and back to BKK for 350 and 375 baht respectively.

Our last driver though did not speak a single word of English - this was not great as I had already been waiting for the car for a while with no luck. I did send a couple of sms (in English) but no response. As I was not in a hurry, I waited until he made an u-turn as the missed the right exit the first time.

We also took a regular taxi once and we were lucky that the driver took is through the right route - not sure if it helped the fact that we had the phone in our hands as if following the itinerary from google maps. Anyway, this ride went well too but I was running low ob Thai cash hence I preferred to pay via Uber with Amex.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that a metered taxi is much safer, as measured by death/injury per Km, than a UBER here. This is pure opinion, but is based on ~ 10 years of driving here (personal car) and seeing that anyone can buy a license (assuming they even have one). Taxi drivers have a vested interest in protecting their lives/taxi, while just about any Somchai can get behind the wheel of a car here.

When you factor in a knowledge of the roads - always amazes me how savvy you have to be to get around the Bangkok area ( a huge area) - traffic, routes, a taxi is probably safer and more reliable. Yes, they come with a few drawbacks, the main one seems to be dodgy fares, which is easily overcome by using GrabTaxi and paying 25 baht extra. Factor in the "legality" issue of UBER here and a taxi might win out 95% of the time?

An experienced, known good/reliable UBER driver, running a decent vehicle with a legitimate green plates and a valid driver's license would probably trump any taxi?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
My guess is that a metered taxi is much safer, as measured by death/injury per Km, than a UBER here. This is pure opinion, but is based on ~ 10 years of driving here (personal car) and seeing that anyone can buy a license (assuming they even have one). Taxi drivers have a vested interest in protecting their lives/taxi, while just about any Somchai can get behind the wheel of a car here.

When you factor in a knowledge of the roads - always amazes me how savvy you have to be to get around the Bangkok area ( a huge area) - traffic, routes, a taxi is probably safer and more reliable. Yes, they come with a few drawbacks, the main one seems to be dodgy fares, which is easily overcome by using GrabTaxi and paying 25 baht extra. Factor in the "legality" issue of UBER here and a taxi might win out 95% of the time?

An experienced, known good/reliable UBER driver, running a decent vehicle with a legitimate green plates and a valid driver's license would probably trump any taxi?
Every Uber I've taken in Thailand (half dozen in Bangkok, over 20 in Chiang Mai) has had a driver who drives at least as conservatively and safely - most more so - than any taxi driver that I can recall. An Uber driver (presuming he owns the car) has just as much "vested interest" in avoiding an accident as a taxi driver does.

It's pretty funny that you'd offer your "pure opinion" on the safety of Uber drivers based upon your own personal driving record....unless you're an Uber driver, that is.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. My experiences/opinions are no more valid than anyone's on this or any other topic. I just wanted to share my opinion based on ~ 2,000 taxi journeys and ~ 100,000 Km driving over ten years here, and observing Thai drivers and taxi drivers. There are many, many, many new Thai drivers who seem very challenged, perhaps due to a lack of proper training and experience? Might they be good UBER drivers? Sure. Taxi drivers tend to be licensed, both with a special driver's license and by the DLT authorities, and more experienced. Have I seen taxi drivers do crazy $h*t? Yep.

All things being equal, I would feel safer, and more assured of arriving at my destination in a timely manner, in a metered taxi rather than with some unknown driver.

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 18, 2016 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:16 am

UBER has not been working well for me in Thailand. They usually have a hard time picking me up. At the airport, the driver circled around twice! and still couldn't find me. The only time it has worked well is if I have been in a soi in the middle of nowhere with no taxis. Generally, I think its just an issue with mapping software and the non-standard address system, but I don't think it works well here compared to other countries.

I use Uber frequently in Taiwan, where it works very well and is much cheaper, and in Singapore, for the same reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.