Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free prices at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I am actually afraid to go into their DF stores, after the issue they had of entrapping passengers of stealing.
Yes, that was still going on in August, we had a staff member following us around in the DF store in BKK, she had a small bottle of presumably expensive perfume semi concealed in her hand and was manouvering to get close to my wifes half open bag. I challenged her politely and she got really angry and stormed off. Very dodgy.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Yes, that was still going on in August, we had a staff member following us around in the DF store in BKK, she had a small bottle of presumably expensive perfume semi concealed in her hand and was manouvering to get close to my wifes half open bag. I challenged her politely and she got really angry and stormed off. Very dodgy.
scary!
what did you say to her?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Interesting and I don't believe a word you said, your wife nonchalantly had her purse open, mmhuh!

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 28, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:28 pm

Interesting and I don't believe a word you said, your wide nonchalantly had her purse open, mmhuh!
give him the chance to come back with a bit more Details of the story!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
give him the chance to come back with a bit more Details of the story!
I agree, I like juicy details.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:04 pm

Interesting and I don't believe a word you said, your wide nonchalantly had her purse open, mmhuh!
Believe what you like, it is still going on. FYI my wifes leather shopping bag style carry on does not close up completely and it would not be too hard to slip something into it. The bag has been shelved for future travel after this experience.
I asked the woman why she was following us and if she wanted something. Her initial response was to blank me then I said that I know what you are trying to do with that perfume. She walked off to the counter was having an angry talk with her co workers, obviously about us as we checked the bag and left the shop. Yes, Binsabai, pretty scary and I will not be going in there again.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:33 pm

Is this for real? King Power?

I regularly shop there with no problems. Is there a cause for concern?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Yes, it was very real. I had read about it a couple of times and it was quite surreal to be targeted. Be vigilant anywhere I guess and a bag that can be accessed is a rookie error and a possible target as we experienced.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

having walked by 100+ times I avoid King Power as the pest.
Stayed just once at Pulman King Power hotel and had a walk in their main shop, pure horror full with Chinese buyers, they can have the place for themselves.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

King Power has the contract to supply TG onboard duty free ( or did the last time I looked). Same inflated prices, all part of the incestuous monopolistic system.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yes, it was very real. I had read about it a couple of times and it was quite surreal to be targeted. Be vigilant anywhere I guess and a bag that can be accessed is a rookie error and a possible target as we experienced.
There was some press on this some years ago (2009):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8154497.stm
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/090823/News/nws_06.html
http://www.thaiembassy.sg/announceme...d-airport-scam

and this:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...-suvarnabhumi/
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:14 pm

the last one has nothing to do with the duty free shop, it's about security check!
3 first links are all about the same case years ago...wonder why there is not more if this was such a frequent scam
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paolo64
King Power has the contract to supply TG onboard duty free ( or did the last time I looked). Same inflated prices, all part of the incestuous monopolistic system.
I am now afraid the stewardesses onboard will now stuff duty free into my carry on.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:36 pm

I am now afraid the stewardesses onboard will now stuff duty free into my carry on.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
the last one has nothing to do with the duty free shop, it's about security check!
3 first links are all about the same case years ago...wonder why there is not more if this was such a frequent scam
I should have been more plain - the second link away from the 2009 story was just another 'scam' FWIW - I didn't mean to associate them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.