FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Duty free prices at BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1823696-duty-free-prices-bkk.html)

Big_Foot Feb 20, 2017 1:13 am

Duty free prices at BKK

Any updated info? Is it worth it to buy a bottle or two?
I'd like to get some high end tequila for my friends in Europe...

Snacky Feb 20, 2017 2:14 am

Deleted. Wrong thread.

BinSabai Feb 20, 2017 3:01 am

expensive...
doubt you find any high end Tequila as they do not have a very broad selection of Liquors; just the usual brands

brunos Feb 20, 2017 6:05 am

and very expensive

paolo64 Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 27933050)
and very expensive

Yes, it's been that way forever. Maybe the concept is that no duty is paid so that the full profit ( substantial given that it is retail price, some items retail+) goes to King Power. No tax for the government, no benefit to the consumer but a tremendous windfall profit for the monopoly ( which continues to operate with impunity in spite of the court ruling that their tenure is illegal).

djjaguar64 Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm

I never buy duty free in Bangkok, always in SIN.

BinSabai Feb 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27935561)
I never buy duty free in Bangkok, always in SIN.

in SIN at least duty free Prices for alcohol and tobacco are cheaper than retail (which are lightyears higher then in LOS!):p

EzzerBKK Feb 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 27933050)
and very expensive

in fact I once had a friend buy a bottle of JW double black at the duty free and next day went to a very high end supermarket in town and found the price there (taxed) to be lower than "Duty Free"!!!

BinSabai Feb 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK (Post 27936754)
in fact I once had a friend buy a bottle of JW double black at the duty free and next day went to a very high end supermarket in town and found the price there (taxed) to be lower than "Duty Free"!!!

this was actually normal for any Liquor and well known on this Forum until around 3 years ago. Since then taxes have increased a lot in LOS and many retail Prices are double or triple of what they were. So I am not sure, whether Retail is still cheaper then Duty Free

Flyingbiker Feb 21, 2017 12:09 am

Very expensive in BKK, SIN is pretty cheap, same at DEL.

BinSabai Feb 21, 2017 12:29 am

in Asia for Liquors i would recommend ICN and TPE

vbroucek Feb 21, 2017 1:32 am

Well, "duty free" means exactly that. No taxes... But often, the margin is higher than anywhere else... So far, the only places I find good to buy "duty free" is when I am coming back home to Australia... Booze is definitely significantly cheaper at MEL or SYD...

BinSabai Feb 21, 2017 1:40 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 27937106)
.. Booze is definitely significantly cheaper at MEL or SYD...

and cigars quite expensive...

SunLover Feb 21, 2017 11:08 am

As with any duty free goods you need to know the comparable prices at your destination. I usually browse the shops with a handful of common items in mind (cigarettes, JW Blue, ect) where I know the destination price just to check the pricing levels. I rarely buy anything these days because I hate the schlep, and the prices are not real bargains.

If you are picking up a unique item and gifting at your destination that is a different story. And sometimes items have a decent GWP (gift with purchase) attached.

SL

djjaguar64 Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I am actually afraid to go into their DF stores, after the issue they had of entrapping passengers of stealing.