J catering ex FRA

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 3:25 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
J catering ex FRA

Any one else underwhelmed by these options? The pictures do nothing for me and the food all looks so tasteless! At this point I'm tending towards the pork jowl.

Beef Tenderloin With Boletus Mushroom

Salmon White Wine Sabayon

Chicken Stuffed With Champignon Forcemeat

Veal Roulade Madeira Sauce

Pork Jowl Braised

Pike Perch Pommery Mustard Sauce
Old May 20, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I would not pre-order any of these dishes. Usually, the meals available in the flight menu are OK/quite good. I would take the vegetarian or Thai dish.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: TK G
Don' worry too much about it, was flying HKG-BKK-FRA return twice a year, most flight attendants do not even know about the possibility of pre-ordering meals. When discussing with them about pre-ordered meal, they very surprised as well that more than 3 choices were available...

Therefore, pre-order whatever you like but don't be disappointed if you don't get it. You can still change if you change your mind in the plane.

Cheers
Fraserman
Old May 20, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Would be much nicer if Thai served their business class food on plates as opposed to the casserole dishes. I usually go the Thai dishes, but their is a significant lack of them shown there!
Old May 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelislife
Would be much nicer if Thai served their business class food on plates as opposed to the casserole dishes. I usually go the Thai dishes, but their is a significant lack of them shown there!
I thought that too...the food I had BKK-CDG J A380 was good, but the presentation fell short. I thought it was maybe just because it was a Midnight departure and most people were woofing down food and then getting some sleep. But then I saw other TRs and such with photos.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I thought that too...the food I had BKK-CDG J A380 was good, but the presentation fell short. I thought it was maybe just because it was a Midnight departure and most people were woofing down food and then getting some sleep. But then I saw other TRs and such with photos.
Yeh. And the "dog dishes" sit on trays pull out in the Business Class cabin out of trolleys like Y.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:28 am
hgp
Original Poster

Agree! It would be nice if TG could plate up in the galley and bring the meal on a proper plate. Presentation makes all the difference.

Here are some recent selections from SQ:

Most catering for most airlines is outsourced (except in their home port)... so TG could easily access similar menu options. I guess it's just a question of how much more an SQ-standard meal costs compared to a TG-standard meal.

Last edited by hgp; May 23, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old May 27, 2014, 9:38 am
hgp
Original Poster

So here's the actual meal - Pork Jowl - ex FRA.

Taste: 7/10
Presentation: 3/10
Service on this flight: 10/10... attentive, friendly and personal.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
I was not particularly impressed by the greasy sausage pre arrival meal into FRA. It was served with some sort of sugary cabbage. One review described it as an homage to Thailand's 7-11's, and their mystery meat hotdogs. Overall, TG's catering seems to have been on a downslide, while other airlines have been putting some effort into their meals. I am always disappointed in the quality of Thai food available on TG. I expect more from a country that has a wonderful cuisine and so many talented chefs. On the other hand, many westerners complain about authentic Thai food because it is too spicey, even when it is only moderately, so I suppose the airline is often in a no win position.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
I recently flew J FROM BKK-ZURICH. The food was pathetic.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hgp
Agree! It would be nice if TG could plate up in the galley and bring the meal on a proper plate. Presentation makes all the difference.

Here are some recent selections from SQ:

Most catering for most airlines is outsourced (except in their home port)... so TG could easily access similar menu options. I guess it's just a question of how much more an SQ-standard meal costs compared to a TG-standard meal.
They look and probably even taste better than most TG F food ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.