Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A300 service on THAI ending this year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!

THAI appears to be phasing out the A300 this year. By mid-year, Khon Kaen will be the only remaining A300 route, and that ends a short time later.

Khon Kaen will go from 3 (and sometimes 4) A300's daily to 4 A320's on THAI Smile and one A330 by August 2014. (Bookable now.)

In spite of the numerous complaints here about A300s over the years, I thought it was an excellent domestic aircraft for passenger comfort. Much better than a narrow-body A320 (where two traveling together typically get at least one center seat.)

Airlineroute has details:
THAI Outlines Planned S14 A300 Operations
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: ROP
Agreed that A300 is an excellent domestic aircraft. I used to flew on her on Khon Kaen and Hat Yai routes and will miss her when she is phased out.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i will not miss her!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Definitely enjoyed flying it domestically.Will be disappointed to fly Thai Smile to places like Hat Yai and Khon Kaen now. I don't like what Thai has done with Thai smile, at all.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Definitely enjoyed flying it domestically.Will be disappointed to fly Thai Smile to places like Hat Yai and Khon Kaen now. I don't like what Thai has done with Thai smile, at all.
Just flew Thai smile on HDY-BKK last week. In my opinion, economy on Thai smile is on par with Thai economy class for domestic routes and I liked snack on smile more than Thai.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
I like the A300, too,...its more spacious than the A320
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Wish I took a photo of the removal (yes, meaning you can take it out completely) central armrest on the A300sin J! 80s style.

Won't miss much else, since I feel the 330s TG have are largely similar. J seats are fairly uncomfortable and Y is a little more packed, though slightly more modern. Their colours don't help.

Here's hoping a 330 phase out also....
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
the new A330 aren't so bad, at least in J
but the old ones I agree with you
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Wish I took a photo of the removal (yes, meaning you can take it out completely) central armrest on the A300sin J! 80s style.

Won't miss much else, since I feel the 330s TG have are largely similar. J seats are fairly uncomfortable and Y is a little more packed, though slightly more modern. Their colours don't help.

All new THAI A330's (for the last several years) have had angled lie flats in J. The 'regional' A330 is quite ok for short flights in both Y and J. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I never really minded the A300s on domestic or PNH routes. Not my favorite plane but better than my frequented (and dreaded) 734s.

Originally Posted by joy16
Just flew Thai smile on HDY-BKK last week. In my opinion, economy on Thai smile is on par with Thai economy class for domestic routes and I liked snack on smile more than Thai.

Came down from UBP today on TG must say the leg room is quite good in Y and staff are at least young and bubbly. The lack of free beer/booze is troubling for an international hop but I'm fine with them domestically. From a Y pax perspective I actually prefer the cabin to the A300/734s.

But I do have a lot of history on the A300 and will miss them (slightly).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I never really minded the A300s on domestic or PNH routes. Not my favorite plane but better than my frequented (and dreaded) 734s.
I'm flying PEN - BKK in May and was scheduled to be on the A300 and instead, I'll be on a 734 Thankfully, it's a short flight but I am disappointed as I was looking forward to my first A300 flight.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:54 pm

PEN BKK on TG I was always on the 734 during recent years
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm flying PEN - BKK in May and was scheduled to be on the A300 and instead, I'll be on a 734 Thankfully, it's a short flight but I am disappointed as I was looking forward to my first A300 flight.
The exit rows, 39 and 40, are hands down the best on the plane. If you're in Y and *G target these upon checkin.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Glad I had the opportunity to fly it last year. First...and probably last...time on the A300.

I got a kick out of the slot in the lav to deposit your disposable razor blade...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
If you guys had to endure the Lahore to Bangkok overnight 5 hour flight on these birds in a miserable C class as I did , I don't think any of you would feel bad about these birds heading for the scapyard .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.