Wiki Posts
Search

A300 service on THAI ending this year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Well this is a different region and narrow body aircraft with proper J works fine for Malaysia, Silkair, Vietnam Airlines, Qantas, Virgin Australia, Vietnam Airlines, ANA, Dragonair etc etc. the list goes on.

Thai have made a stupid decision here.
Define "works fine".

Oh, and if it "works fine", how is it that Lion Air, Jetstar, AirAsia, Tiger Airways are the ones who've added a huge number of all-Y narrowbodies the past 20 years, as opposed to those other airlines you've mentioned growing THEIR domestic/shorthaul fleets by a few hundred planes combined? You'd think that if the traditional model of J/Y for shorthaul regional travel (often done in longhaul planes like A300s, 747s and so on) was that lucrative that LCCs wouldn't be getting the lion's share of growth.

There's probably 500-1000 narrowbodies in that region that weren't there before... and I would say the legacy APAC airlines have been caught as flat-footed by LCC competition as airlines in the USA were by WN, and airlines in Europe were by FR, otherwise they would be flying a lot more of them.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Define "works fine".

Oh, and if it "works fine", how is it that Lion Air, Jetstar, AirAsia, Tiger Airways are the ones who've added a huge number of all-Y narrowbodies the past 20 years, as opposed to those other airlines you've mentioned growing THEIR domestic/shorthaul fleets by a few hundred planes combined? You'd think that if the traditional model of J/Y for shorthaul regional travel (often done in longhaul planes like A300s, 747s and so on) was that lucrative that LCCs wouldn't be getting the lion's share of growth.

There's probably 500-1000 narrowbodies in that region that weren't there before... and I would say the legacy APAC airlines have been caught as flat-footed by LCC competition as airlines in the USA were by WN, and airlines in Europe were by FR, otherwise they would be flying a lot more of them.
There is no doubt that LCC's are very popular but Thai have replaced legacy business class with this substandard economy+ product but yet they sell it just like they do standard business. They never sell the middle seat so why not just convert it to a 12 seat business cabin and be done with it. add 3 inches of leg room in the front for 36 inches and it's done. Maintain the same service standard they do with other TG flight numbers for consistency.

If they wanted to operate a pure LCC they shouldn't be coding the flight as TG and selling them like a normal TG flight. They should focus on Nokair as their LCC option
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Flew an old miserable A300 from BKK->HKT a few months back and made a comment to my friend that I thought all of these have either been written off or converted to cargo. That night on the news a A300 cargo conversion crashed in Africa... What a coincidence.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like according to a.net, TG wants to sell their A300s, as well as their 734s, A346s and ATR-72s.

Seems pretty logical to me: sell the gas guzzlers or the oddballs in the fleet, go towards newer planes and an all-Y model for a lot of the short routes in SE Asia.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Thai Airways International (TG, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi) is to bring forward its planned retirement of its last three remaining A300-600Rs, HS-TAT (cn 782), HS-TAX (cn 785) & HS-TAZ (cn 787). Collectively, the aircraft average 15.9 years of age the ch-aviation aircraft database shows.

The aircraft had been slated for withdrawal from October 25 but that has now changed with July 31 now set as the new date. The type's last flights, Airline Route claims, will be from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen on July 31, and to Chiang Rai on April 15.
(found in a recent Newsletter)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:11 pm
soy

Programs: various
sad to see it go. I would much prefer to fly the A300 on domestic routes such as HKT-BKK than single aisle planes.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
sad to see it go. I would much prefer to fly the A300 on domestic routes such as HKT-BKK than single aisle planes.
As I am sure anyone who sells fuel to TG is also sad to see it go, since A300s take a lot more fuel and cost a lot more to fly...

The problem is people talk a good game about "hey, big planes are better", but the reality is very few people will pay a premium for ~400 mile routes (and there is added cost, 737s/A320s are considerably more efficient for short routes). If most people really valued big jets more than small ones, USA-based airlines would still be flying 747s to Hawaii, or on SFO-ORD.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
If they wanted to operate a pure LCC they shouldn't be coding the flight as TG and selling them like a normal TG flight. They should focus on Nokair as their LCC option

You are right about that Thai Smile is a joke. It is not a separate airline. They use all of TG's infrastructure and were put on routes that replaced profitable mainline routes. Bottom line, they are TG. It's a mirage, or typical Thai smoke and mirrors.

Nok Air poached all of PB Air's old routes. But they've made a success out of dying routes quite well.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
But, I too am going to miss the domestic runs on these aircraft. Lots of cheap W and V class seats on these widebodies.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
But, I too am going to miss the domestic runs on these aircraft. Lots of cheap W and V class seats on these widebodies.
I agree I will miss these planes.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:27 am

It's been mentioned (by me) at least half a dozen times but some of Thai's A300's are made in 1998 and NEWER than some of the B777's (Thai's 777s date from 1996) and many of the B747's (from 1990 on). So there has been no reason for Thai to retire aircraft that are only 15 years old even now. They just needed a new business class cabin really.
Absolutely!

Some of the birds are in really good condition when you look at the wall pannels, the overhead bins and the lavs. The only issue are the seats.

I know it is just a fantasy. Wouldn't it be great if TG could reuse the old F seats from the 7442/14F. Those were a dream for domestic flight.

LH did something similar. They put old business class seats from their 747 into their A300 before they finally went to rest.

Oh well. Just me dreaming....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Randomly flew BKK-KKC today, just a 40 minute flight to Khon Kaen.
It was on a TG A300-600, and I asked the FA if he'd flown the 787 yet. "Yes, this crew just flew it yesterday to CNX and back," and I said that I hadn't been on an A300-600 for a long time. He said that, actually, the plane we were flying on would be "phased out" on July 31st (in 48 hours!), and it was 17 years old. He said it was his first aircraft that he'd been certified on, so he would miss it. I told him I was surprised, because the cabin looked to be in excellent shape actually!
It was a nice flight.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Not that it is to be trusted, but when looking for domestic flights in November the 300 still comes up on BKK-HKT and BKK-CNX runs on thai.com. I really hope that it`s true as I would love one last flight on the TG rocket ship
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by SASDC8
Not that it is to be trusted, but when looking for domestic flights in November the 300 still comes up on BKK-HKT and BKK-CNX runs on thai.com. I really hope that it`s true as I would love one last flight on the TG rocket ship
Still showing up on weekend flights to PNH in November as well.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Still showing up on weekend flights to PNH in November as well.
Flights to PNH are exclusively TG A320s and have been since late March.

Edit: It appears TG mainline re-takes the BKK-PNH service on October 26.

Last edited by dsquared37; Jul 30, 2014 at 1:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.