Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
If you're feeling challenged using our Search or Advanced Search, please read further below. See post #1 for some basics.

If you're having strange search issues you've not noticed previously:

1) Try searching using another browser and see if it's replicating the trouble. If it is, it might be a FkyerTalk issue. Read the last posts to see if the issue has been reported; if not, please add your observations as completely as possible.

2) If you can't replicate the issue with another browser, try clearing the cache of the browser displaying faulty search results.

Searching for information on FlyerTalk
FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it.

Some resources for searching FlyerTalk:

Canarsie's Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread has relocated to the Information Desk Forum; it can be found there.

One can search FlyerTalk with Google with this web form.

Or, if you are used to Google search, go to Google and preface your search terms with site:www.flyertalk.com in the box on the main page, along with your search terms.

Or, use Google Advanced Search and insert www.flyertalk.com in the site or domain: box.

Other options using Google from FT Moderator essxjay:

"If I only need search results from FT I make it explicit e.g., site:flyertalk.com "Amanwana", which returns just 671 results rather than tens of thousands.

And since you know which forum to look in you could refine the above even further to search just the luxury hotels/travel forum. Thusly, site:flyertalk.com inurl:luxury-hotels intext:Amanwana. That returns 629 hits.

Here's a nifty 10 minute overview of advanced search operators if you're so inclined."

Thank you from the forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:30 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Search should be much improved as of last night.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, no longer dead for me, will update if i notice any nuances
IBobi likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Is there a way of preventing a search from returning a hit in the wikipost of a thread?

For example, if I search for JMK in the British Airways board and ask to show results as posts, it returns every single post in the thread Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations even though most of the posts do not contain JMK. It appears to happen because JMK is in the wikipost. At present, three of the first four results of that search suffer from the same problem (those in the threads BA Lounge Database | Europe and Tracking BA Fast Track and Priority Boarding).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is there a way of preventing a search from returning a hit in the wikipost of a thread?

For example, if I search for JMK in the British Airways board and ask to show results as posts, it returns every single post in the thread Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations even though most of the posts do not contain JMK. It appears to happen because JMK is in the wikipost. At present, three of the first four results of that search suffer from the same problem (those in the threads BA Lounge Database | Europe and Tracking BA Fast Track and Priority Boarding).
This has come up before and the solution has been re-implemented.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IBobi
This has come up before and the solution has been re-implemented.
Thank you very much, and for doing it so quickly!
IBobi likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Nope. I've gotten to the point where I'll do a search & if it doesn't show up in FT search I just immediately go to google, use the same search parameters+Flyertalk & it pops up immediately. I should note I've done this using exact property names (in the Marriott forum, for example) & property thread doesn't pop up on FT, but does on google. Yesterday I did a # of searches, using specifics & also on threads I myself created & knew the thread title & only a couple came up on FT - the rest required me going to Google to find them. nsx is the one who gave me the idea of doing the google search when FT search comes up w/ buptkus.

Cheers.
This is still my solution, as FT search doesn't seem to have improved.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This is still my solution, as FT search doesn't seem to have improved.
I use FT search a lot and find it pretty effective, though I haven't searched for bupkis per se. The Wikipost at the top of the page has some useful links for optimizing FT and Google searches.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Any way to exclude searching the wiki posts and just only search the user posts?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:06 pm

No there isn't.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:47 am

Does "New Posts" search exclude some threads?

I usually peruse FT by using the "New Posts" search, then browsing through recently active threads. I have noticed that sometimes threads that I have posted in do not appear. The anomaly seems to be when my post is the last post in the thread. So today for example, I can see threads with my posts where someone has posted after my post but 2 threads where I was the last to post are excluded from the New Posts thread summary.

Is this a bug or a feature?

ETA: Looks like this thread itself does not show up in New Posts... at least for me

Last edited by xooz; May 11, 2020 at 10:05 am
Old May 11, 2020, 11:00 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
New Posts only displays posts you have not yet read. So none of your posts will appear, as they are not new to you.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:23 am

Thanks. I assumed it was simply a search that returned the threads in order of last post. Didn't know it was selective as you describe.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:45 am

The other thing is there is a significant amount of lag before it shows up as new. Not sure how long it is, but more than a few minutes.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:46 am

search results don't have keyword in post

If I search using the flyertalk search many times it returns posts without the keyword whatsoever. Sometimes it seems the keyword is in the wiki, I have figured it out, making the returning result by "post" instead of "thread" absolutely useless. When it should be useful in threads that are thousands of pages long.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:51 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If I search using the flyertalk search many times it returns posts without the keyword whatsoever. Sometimes it seems the keyword is in the wiki, I have figured it out, making the returning result by "post" instead of "thread" absolutely useless. When it should be useful in threads that are thousands of pages long.
Can you give me an example so I can take a look?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.