Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues and suggestions regarding the new Trending forums home page

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
This one? No I don't think this sort of thing was on anyone's wish list.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...any-apply.html
There was an earlier one titled "If I ran FT..." mentioned in the first post of the thread you linked to.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There was an earlier one titled "If I ran FT..." mentioned in the first post of the thread you linked to.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...flyertalk.html
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:25 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by armus
Where's the option to not auto-subscribe to threads I've commented in?
It's in the same place, Myflyertalk, edit options, Default Thread Subscription Mode.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always enter Flyertalk by clicking on my BAEC forum bookmark as it's the forum I mostly browse. I thought most people who have a preferred forum did that? If not, then you're only a second or two away from finding the forum you want.
A bit of an overreaction I feel....then again, I'm used to seeing that being a BAEC forum regular.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I enter FT on the MyFlyertalk page.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:10 am

The website does not seem to save my changes. I turned off the Trending forums but when I log back on on the same machine, same browser it's back. I have the setting on "Hide". What am I doing wrong?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
The website does not seem to save my changes. I turned off the Trending forums but when I log back on on the same machine, same browser it's back. I have the setting on "Hide". What am I doing wrong?
What device and browser are you using?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
What device and browser are you using?
I'm on Windows 10 PC using Google Chrome. I'll keep testing this to see if it happens all the time.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm on Windows 10 PC using Google Chrome. I'll keep testing this to see if it happens all the time.
It sounds silly, but be sure you are clicking to SAVE CHANGES after you make the selection
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
It sounds silly, but be sure you are clicking to SAVE CHANGES after you make the selection
Yes I pressed the save option. I wanted to paste a screenshot but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm Reason: Redacted unnecessary bits
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes I pressed the save option. I wanted to paste a screenshot but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you.
To learn how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I had this exact same thing happen this morning. I'm currently using IE 11 (don't laugh, it's a work computer I have no choice in browser sadly) on Windows 7.

And yes I saved changes - I turned this off on day one and have logged off and back on before, on this machine and at home. This hasn't happened previously.

The settings under my options are not changed, including the Trending feature being disabled, yet the Trending feature is showing up nonetheless. I can try at home with Firefox and Chrome this evening.

ETA: Same thing happens on Chrome and Firefox (Windows 10).

Last edited by 84fiero; Feb 8, 2017 at 6:34 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What I discovered is that when you arrive at the forums homepage and are not logged in, it automatically redirects you to the trending page.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php

When you log in, you're logging into the same page, i.e., the trending page. It doesn't automatically redirect you to the "regular" forum homepage, which is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

What I had to do is navigate to the very top of the page and select the Forum Home; or just click on whatever sub-forum I wanted to visit and things should be fine from there.

If my login is remembered (as I normally am on Chrome), I don't have this issue.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:39 pm

Thank you for the clear instructions how to opt-out. I switched it off because I want to use the classic forum directory from time to time, and have no need for a site-wide trending thread llst.

The change would make more sense if trending topics shown were limited to the forums I am subscribed to. Perhaps as a part of the "My Flyertalk" (usercp) page, below the "new subscribed threads" and above the "subscribed forum" list.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
When I hover my cursor over the thread title, I'd like to see a preview similar to what you see in all of the other forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.