Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread documents the creation of the new Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum from the announcement the vote is open, through the vote and announcement by the Community Director of the new forum's opening. Post-opening discussion is included as well.

The initial forum suggestion thread can be read at Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (link)
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For those saying they have concerns or don't understand a rush to get this done or thought it was halfway, you could have been very specific re: your concerns - and outlined your solutions to your concerns or fleshed out what would take it all the way vs. halfway. I didn't see that reading the two threads.
I admit I didn't propose specific solutions, because I was hopeful we (including a lot of people on FT much smarter than me) would have some time as a community to discuss the concerns and figure it out. I posted as much in the other thread before you proposed the motion:

Originally Posted by jackal
There is admittedly a bit of a fine line to figure out....
That said, despite the complexities, I support the new forum and am hopeful that this process of discussing it will help us to hash out the best way to implement it.
Not to unnecessarily drag things out, but even though I support the idea, I think there are a few things mentioned above that we need to think through first, and I don't feel comfortable that we have fully thought through all of them, mostly relating to the line between lodging services and traditional hotel chains and OTAs.
I feel like the rush to get the motion moved and seconded nearly a week before the ultimate deadline seems to have prematurely shortened the timeframe for that discussion to take place.

Regardless, unless there is whatever consensus we need to withdraw the motion and work on improving it over the next couple of days before proposing it again, this is all water under the bridge, and as I said, I will be voting yes on this motion.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You could have come up with some suggestions/solutions both on the public and private forum, as could others. You didn't. Neither did other TB members. Even if you thought your solutions needed tweaking you could have suggested them. I have respect for you, so this is more a generic comment for others who now have concerns but didn't detail them.

BTW - I did read and re-read the comments about OTAs and hotel chains before doing the motion. Airbnb, vrbo are obviously not booked through OTAs, nor is anyone going to mistake them for a hotel chain.

Actually in the Marriott forum someone posted they booked airbnb because there was no Marriott or starwood property where they were going.

Cheers
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I will most likely vote in support of this motion.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Recommended it go in the hotel & loyalty sub-forum/miles & points vs. travel & dining now that Delta & Qantas have partnerships w/ Airbnb, and it wouldn't be surprising if others also announce.
I understand your rationale but airbnb bookings via the QF and DL channels are very much an outlier and since none of the major lodging service providers actually have a frequent stay programme of their own, I think housing this forum in the Miles & Points would cause some confusion. Much better to have it in Travel & Dining along side Luxury Hotels and Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies.

Other than that, its a great idea.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Prospero
I understand your rationale but airbnb bookings via the QF and DL channels are very much an outlier and since none of the major lodging service providers actually have a frequent stay programme of their own, I think housing this forum in the Miles & Points would cause some confusion. Much better to have it in Travel & Dining along side Luxury Hotels and Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies.
I agree.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:06 pm

Other than that, its a great idea.
I agree.
I proposed it in the M&P forum for the reason outlined (and we don't know that DL/Q are outliers). If the CD decides to put it in T&D I'm ok w/ that too. FWIW - Ride Services got put into the Car Rental programs forum.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Voting opened at 4:30 PM today
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This is an example of what I consider to be a fit for the proposed forum. It was posted in the Europe/Italy Forum. The OP has credibility on FT.
Here is a B&B in Puglia, near Lecce, that is offering free nights to a small band who can play jazz in the evening in their garden, or to someone who can make a high definition video of their property so they can use it to publicize themselves, and also to anyone who can give them an hour of lessons in speaking either German or English, and also help them write and edit a website they want to put up in either of these two languages. It seems as if Baratto has a lot going on.

The OP has suggested that in Italy, there are sites which barter.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I proposed it in the M&P forum for the reason outlined (and we don't know that DL/Q are outliers). If the CD decides to put it in T&D I'm ok w/ that too. FWIW - Ride Services got put into the Car Rental programs forum.

Cheers.
I don't believe the Ride Services forum offers a valid precedent as it is not being used to discuss mileage or points earning. That does really surprise me given neither of the major providers, Uber and Lyft have a frequent ride programme.

Uber is an SPG partner and it is possible to earn SPG points on Uber trips. There is an active discussion covering this but it is not housed in the Ride Services forum; you'll find it in the Starwood forum. Similarly, I suppose the Delta Air Lines forum will become the de facto place to discuss Delta SkyMiles earning via airbnb's Skymiles partnership.

If we are to follow the logic of locating forums into the Miles & Points section on the basis of a peripheral points proposition, then Luxury Hotels, Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies, and Travel News could be moved over because FFP partnerships also exist in these spaces. For example, I can earn Avios on hotel stays booked with Kaligo, Rocketmiles and Agoda PointsMAX, and Virgin Flying Club points via PointsHound plus Avios on Business Traveller subscriptions. I can also earn Lufthansa M&M points on Rimowa luggage purchases so should we also move the Travel Products forum into the Miles & Points section? I'd argue not and for the same reason suggest that unless any of the lodging services providers launch their own frequent stay programme (and there is no evidence of this happening) then the Travel & Dining section is the most logical fit.

Not only would it be a clear fit, a Lodging Services forum would compliment the existing Luxury Hotels and Online Travel Booking forums.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All sources of information can be valuable.

I support the recommendation, and let others decide where it should be located and what it's called
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:41 am

I don't believe the Ride Services forum offers a valid precedent....suggest that unless any of the lodging services providers launch their own frequent stay programme (and there is no evidence of this happening) then the Travel & Dining section is the most logical fit.

Not only would it be a clear fit, a Lodging Services forum would compliment the existing Luxury Hotels and Online Travel Booking forums.
I outlined why I picked miles & points when doing the motion. I also said up thread that if the CD chooses to place it in Travel & Dining rather than Miles & Points I'd be ok w/ that.

FWIW - I went back/forth when creating the motion on whether it should reside in M&P or T&D, which is why I'm not set in stone on where it finally resides. I'm more interested in seeing the forum created, which is why, absent a groundswell against, I'll probably vote yes.

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Silver
Does TB's remit extend beyond recommending forum creation to the CD to include forum location?

FWIW I agree with Prospero that placing a new Lodging Services forum in the Travel & Dining section is the most natural fit.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Does TB's remit extend beyond recommending forum creation to the CD to include forum location?

FWIW I agree with Prospero that placing a new Lodging Services forum in the Travel & Dining section is the most natural fit.
TB recommendations often includes where a forum will reside, but it's not set in stone. The CD can go w/ the recommendation or determine if she thinks there's a better place for it. She's done both in the past.

As I mentioned I waffled on where it should reside before I made the motion, so if everyone believes that T&D section is a better fit I'm fine w/ that.

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
It's a much needed forum and I think it would be best positioned in T&D.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I will most likely vote in support of this motion.
I support this forum creation. I also support it being in the "travel & dining" section of FT.

Non-hotel lodging services is what I would prefer it to be called, even as there are hotel condominiums/hotel-managed condominium units.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 13, 2016 at 4:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.