Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Post #116 by the Community Director:

"I've no plans to close the forum."

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Print Wikipost

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
In my opinion, there's very little reason to close forums where the information contained in the forum doesn't fit easily anywhere else. The Smokers Lounge is a great example of that.
No, it's not as this information could be contained in a wiki post in each hotel forum instead in a dedicated forum however that option was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
No, it's not as this information could be contained in a wiki post in each hotel forum instead in a dedicated forum however that option was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
No because not every member uses the wikis and it's not just each hotel forum but also airports and that would mean a wiki in every destination forum and perhaps also those threads in airline specific forums which have dedicated "connections and logistics at xxx airport" threads. Or in simple terms, why have information which is centralized decentralized and scattered all over Flyertalk?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by goalie
No because not every member uses the wikis and it's not just each hotel forum but also airports and that would mean a wiki in every destination forum and perhaps also those threads in airline specific forums which have dedicated "connections and logistics at xxx airport" threads. Or in simple terms, why have information which is centralized decentralized and scattered all over Flyertalk?
This.

It should also be noted that currently* wikis are not visible when accessing FT via mobile devices & many FTers access FT via mobile devices, so they wouldn't even see the information if it was put in wikis.

* No ETA by IB when they're going to change that.

Some can continue to flog the Marlboro man's dead horse if they so desire, but I'm not seeing a lot of support for closing the forum & don't think it will happen. It's a niche forum, it's a different type of forum in that discussions were never expected other than perhaps the occasional question for clarifying some information, and those who utilize the forum are happy w/ it.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 6, 2016 at 9:04 am Reason: add the marlboro man line - tee-hee...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Apparently, this message has been forgotten as it is on a previous page. A reminder, then, why
posts may have been deleted or why anyone doubting their post meets the "welcoming - friendly" phrasing might think of editing:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please: debate the post, not the members.

As the late Moderator magic111 used to say, "Play the ball, not the player".

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This.

It should also be noted that currently* wikis are not visible when accessing FT via mobile devices & many FTers access FT via mobile devices, so they wouldn't even see the information if it was put in wikis.

* No ETA by IB when they're going to change that.

Some can continue to flog the Marlboro man's dead horse if they so desire, but I'm not seeing a lot of support for closing the forum & don't think it will happen. It's a niche forum, it's a different type of forum in that discussions were never expected other than perhaps the occasional question for clarifying some information, and those who utilize the forum are happy w/ it.

Cheers.
Wikis are visible when accessing FT via a mobile device so long as it is viewed in full site mode. I am not in favour of closing the forum but I do think new forums need to prove themselves in terms of fostering discussion and it can take longer than a year for a new forum to find its feet.

Like the Uber forum, which is also struggling to take flight, the Smoking Lounge should be marked for continued assessment.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:09 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
<snip> was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
I guess I disagree on what is considered a "rush to mint yet another forum..." when the idea of a smoking forum was first proposed by Dovster on April 19 2015 (thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html), the motioned/seconded thread (this one) appeared on June 28 2015, and the first "results" of the vote were posted on July 5 2015. If about 2+ months to get a motion/second and then about a week after the motion/second for the pass/fail result is a "rush to mint yet another forum", would you please enlighten me as to what a reasonable amount of time for each would be?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
I guess I disagree on what is considered a "rush to mint yet another forum..." when the idea of a smoking forum was first proposed by Dovster on April 19 2015 (thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html), the motioned/seconded thread (this one) appeared on June 28 2015, and the first "results" of the vote were posted on July 5 2015. If about 2+ months to get a motion/second and then about a week after the motion/second for the pass/fail result is a "rush to mint yet another forum", would you please enlighten me as to what a reasonable amount of time for each would be?
The rush wasn't in timing but rather an unwillingness to consider alternatives to forum creation such as expanding the smoking related wiki threads that had been posted in the TravelBuzz.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Like the Uber forum, which is also struggling to take flight, the Smoking Lounge should be marked for continued assessment.
Should but won't be reassessed in future as once forums are created rarely if ever are any closed because of traffic stat's.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 6, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:33 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Does anyone know whether there is a FT member who has a vested interest in smoking topics (either interested in smoking or interested in avoiding smoking) that feels the same way tcook052 does, that creating the forum has genuinely been a bad thing for them? I don't have a dog in the fight as I have no interest one way or the other, but I'm genuinely curious if someone who does have that interest would rather find the information in a different place.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Should but won't be reassessed in future as once forums are created rarely if ever are any closed because of traffic stat's.
Within the past 18 months, at least eight forums have either been closed or merged into other existing forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...al-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...es-forums.html
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Within the past 18 months, at least eight forums have either been closed or merged into other existing forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...al-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...es-forums.html
Well, I did say rarely in my previous post.

While the budget airline forums were most definitely shuttered for low traffic I thought the closing of car rental forums was more a reorganization than closure for low traffic stat's. I could be wrong however.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Well, I did say rarely in my previous post.

While the budget airline forums were most definitely shuttered for low traffic I thought the closing of car rental forums was more a reorganization than closure for low traffic stat's. I could be wrong however.
The following four forums were closed due to low traffic, with content combined into the general Rental Car Discussion forum:

• Budget | Fastbreak
  • Dollar | Express Renter Rewards
  • Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards
  • Other Car Rental Programs (i.e., Alamo, Enterprise)

I suppose that technically, that is the closing of three forums instead of four; which means the closing of seven forums within the past 18 months.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The following four forums were closed due to low traffic, with content combined into the general Rental Car Discussion forum
Thanks.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 7, 2016 at 4:55 am
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I have no interest in closing the Smoker's forum. As many, many others have written, I don't smoke, but the information included in the threads is valuable to those who do based on the number of views. I prefer the centralized location so those who want to read about where they can smoke can find the information quickly and I can skip it.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I have no interest in closing the Smoker's forum. As many, many others have written, I don't smoke, but the information included in the threads is valuable to those who do based on the number of views. I prefer the centralized location so those who want to read about where they can smoke can find the information quickly and I can skip it.
Thank you ^ and thank you for the common sense approach ^
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
So, 500+ posts about a forum nobody is supposed to be interested in. Not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.