Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 1, 16, 2:01 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Post #116 by the Community Director:

"I've no plans to close the forum."

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Print Wikipost

 

Old Aug 5, 16, 9:38 pm
  #46  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,052
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
In my opinion, there's very little reason to close forums where the information contained in the forum doesn't fit easily anywhere else. The Smokers Lounge is a great example of that.
No, it's not as this information could be contained in a wiki post in each hotel forum instead in a dedicated forum however that option was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 12:14 am
  #47  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,223
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
No, it's not as this information could be contained in a wiki post in each hotel forum instead in a dedicated forum however that option was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
No because not every member uses the wikis and it's not just each hotel forum but also airports and that would mean a wiki in every destination forum and perhaps also those threads in airline specific forums which have dedicated "connections and logistics at xxx airport" threads. Or in simple terms, why have information which is centralized decentralized and scattered all over Flyertalk?
goalie is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:19 am
  #48  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinumPremier
Posts: 64,759
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
No because not every member uses the wikis and it's not just each hotel forum but also airports and that would mean a wiki in every destination forum and perhaps also those threads in airline specific forums which have dedicated "connections and logistics at xxx airport" threads. Or in simple terms, why have information which is centralized decentralized and scattered all over Flyertalk?
This.

It should also be noted that currently* wikis are not visible when accessing FT via mobile devices & many FTers access FT via mobile devices, so they wouldn't even see the information if it was put in wikis.

* No ETA by IB when they're going to change that.

Some can continue to flog the Marlboro man's dead horse if they so desire, but I'm not seeing a lot of support for closing the forum & don't think it will happen. It's a niche forum, it's a different type of forum in that discussions were never expected other than perhaps the occasional question for clarifying some information, and those who utilize the forum are happy w/ it.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 6, 16 at 10:04 am Reason: add the marlboro man line - tee-hee...
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:56 am
  #49  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,034
Apparently, this message has been forgotten as it is on a previous page. A reminder, then, why
posts may have been deleted or why anyone doubting their post meets the "welcoming - friendly" phrasing might think of editing:

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Please: debate the post, not the members.

As the late Moderator magic111 used to say, "Play the ball, not the player".

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 16 at 9:32 pm
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 10:06 am
  #50  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 18,519
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
This.

It should also be noted that currently* wikis are not visible when accessing FT via mobile devices & many FTers access FT via mobile devices, so they wouldn't even see the information if it was put in wikis.

* No ETA by IB when they're going to change that.

Some can continue to flog the Marlboro man's dead horse if they so desire, but I'm not seeing a lot of support for closing the forum & don't think it will happen. It's a niche forum, it's a different type of forum in that discussions were never expected other than perhaps the occasional question for clarifying some information, and those who utilize the forum are happy w/ it.

Cheers.
Wikis are visible when accessing FT via a mobile device so long as it is viewed in full site mode. I am not in favour of closing the forum but I do think new forums need to prove themselves in terms of fostering discussion and it can take longer than a year for a new forum to find its feet.

Like the Uber forum, which is also struggling to take flight, the Smoking Lounge should be marked for continued assessment.
Prospero is online now  
Old Aug 6, 16, 3:09 pm
  #51  
Ambassador, New England
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Posts: 2,471
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
<snip> was never really considered by TB in their rush to mint yet another forum without regard to how much or how little it would be used.
I guess I disagree on what is considered a "rush to mint yet another forum..." when the idea of a smoking forum was first proposed by Dovster on April 19 2015 (thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html), the motioned/seconded thread (this one) appeared on June 28 2015, and the first "results" of the vote were posted on July 5 2015. If about 2+ months to get a motion/second and then about a week after the motion/second for the pass/fail result is a "rush to mint yet another forum", would you please enlighten me as to what a reasonable amount of time for each would be?
lo2e is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 5:59 pm
  #52  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,052
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
I guess I disagree on what is considered a "rush to mint yet another forum..." when the idea of a smoking forum was first proposed by Dovster on April 19 2015 (thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html), the motioned/seconded thread (this one) appeared on June 28 2015, and the first "results" of the vote were posted on July 5 2015. If about 2+ months to get a motion/second and then about a week after the motion/second for the pass/fail result is a "rush to mint yet another forum", would you please enlighten me as to what a reasonable amount of time for each would be?
The rush wasn't in timing but rather an unwillingness to consider alternatives to forum creation such as expanding the smoking related wiki threads that had been posted in the TravelBuzz.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Like the Uber forum, which is also struggling to take flight, the Smoking Lounge should be marked for continued assessment.
Should but won't be reassessed in future as once forums are created rarely if ever are any closed because of traffic stat's.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 6, 16 at 6:52 pm
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 8:33 pm
  #53  
Ambassador, New England
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Posts: 2,471
Does anyone know whether there is a FT member who has a vested interest in smoking topics (either interested in smoking or interested in avoiding smoking) that feels the same way tcook052 does, that creating the forum has genuinely been a bad thing for them? I don't have a dog in the fight as I have no interest one way or the other, but I'm genuinely curious if someone who does have that interest would rather find the information in a different place.
lo2e is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 8:44 pm
  #54  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 24,468
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Should but won't be reassessed in future as once forums are created rarely if ever are any closed because of traffic stat's.
Within the past 18 months, at least eight forums have either been closed or merged into other existing forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...al-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...es-forums.html
Canarsie is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:03 pm
  #55  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,052
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Within the past 18 months, at least eight forums have either been closed or merged into other existing forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...al-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...es-forums.html
Well, I did say rarely in my previous post.

While the budget airline forums were most definitely shuttered for low traffic I thought the closing of car rental forums was more a reorganization than closure for low traffic stat's. I could be wrong however.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:12 pm
  #56  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 24,468
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Well, I did say rarely in my previous post.

While the budget airline forums were most definitely shuttered for low traffic I thought the closing of car rental forums was more a reorganization than closure for low traffic stat's. I could be wrong however.
The following four forums were closed due to low traffic, with content combined into the general Rental Car Discussion forum:

  • Budget | Fastbreak
  • Dollar | Express Renter Rewards
  • Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards
  • Other Car Rental Programs (i.e., Alamo, Enterprise)

I suppose that technically, that is the closing of three forums instead of four; which means the closing of seven forums within the past 18 months.
Canarsie is offline  
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:39 pm
  #57  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,052
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
The following four forums were closed due to low traffic, with content combined into the general Rental Car Discussion forum
Thanks.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 7, 16 at 5:55 am
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 16, 11:01 am
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Formerly HPN, but now DCA and IAD
Programs: UA Silver, US, DL, AA, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton, Starwood, Membership Rewards
Posts: 10,664
I have no interest in closing the Smoker's forum. As many, many others have written, I don't smoke, but the information included in the threads is valuable to those who do based on the number of views. I prefer the centralized location so those who want to read about where they can smoke can find the information quickly and I can skip it.
dchristiva is offline  
Old Aug 10, 16, 11:30 am
  #59  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,223
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
I have no interest in closing the Smoker's forum. As many, many others have written, I don't smoke, but the information included in the threads is valuable to those who do based on the number of views. I prefer the centralized location so those who want to read about where they can smoke can find the information quickly and I can skip it.
Thank you and thank you for the common sense approach
goalie is offline  
Old Aug 10, 16, 1:36 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: FDH (Friedrichshafen)
Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 1,651
So, 500+ posts about a forum nobody is supposed to be interested in. Not bad.
The_Bouncer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread