"Like" counters now appear in FT profiles [Update: now off]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Like" counters now appear in FT profiles [Update: now off]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kipper
Does this mean I get a Tootsie Pop?
You sure do ^ as does Sharon for her post below :-)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I didn't see her shooting arrows at Carol, but addressing a lot of what you've said throughout the thread, which is very vague etc. It's because of that vagueness that some FTers rightfully have questions & concerns. To dismiss/deflect them is inappropriate IMO.

Cheers.
agreed 100% ^

Originally Posted by nsx
It's vague because we should be exploring all possibilities and their ramifications. I for one don't accept the proposition that if the current software can't do it, then we shouldn't consider asking for it. I especially don't accept the proposition that a particular ad hoc internal demonstration is the only version we can have.

Questions and concerns about features belong here. The more the better. What doesn't belong here is process discussion. The process is in the information gathering phase and feature discussion phase, not the decision phase.

I've said it before here, but I won't mind if we decide not to implement anything as long as we had a complete discussion (which we are having) and the decision is soundly based on that discussion. I'm very happy that we have learned so much already.
Or is it vague on purpose as with no disrespect intended, but imho you have not been completely forthcoming with comments such as "I'm not at liberty to say" or "I have some inside information". If you truly want to explore all the options and etc, then post both sides of the issue and not try to ramrod what you think is the greatest thing since sliced bread and then sidestep issues that you are called out on
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I will say that I find it annoying I see a notification saying I have a new like, but when I click on the button on my profile, it doesn't take me anywhere. So I have no idea which post just got liked, but I still have to clear out the notification. Hopefully that will get solved going forward.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
My initial thinking on this is that it's a bad idea. I wouldn't want normal users to be able to track the posts that I have "liked". A vote/like should be private by default.

I do like the idea of admins being able to see this sort of thing though. It could be used to highlight abuses in the system. But you'd still need to be careful. Let's say I don't like a particular user. It may not be personal, it may just be that they often post useless crap. If I were to "dislike" any of their posts that I happened to see, would that be considered abuse? Would there be a requirement that you have to put such users on your ignore list, and would therefore be prevented from voting on their posts?

Can IB point to any forums where this is in use today, along with feedback on what admins/users think of the functionality?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:25 am

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

If I wanted "likes" and other worthless fluff, I'd join Facebook. As I'm not 14 and FT isn't a social network, the "like" button needs to die in utero.

On a related note, can a mod please remove the "like" on my profile? I'm not sure who the smarta$$ was who "liked" something I did, but there is zero chance I have ever done anything that someone could possibly like.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by brendog

If I wanted "likes" and other worthless fluff, I'd join Facebook. As I'm not 14 and FT isn't a social network, the "like" button needs to die in utero.

On a related note, can a mod please remove the "like" on my profile? I'm not sure who the smarta$$ was who "liked" something I did, but there is zero chance I have ever done anything that someone could possibly like.

Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by planeluvr
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brendog

Agree, FT is not Facebook and never was.

Despite no vote having taken place, it seem to me this is a done deal in certain quarters. And some have it, some do not, some use it and some do not. Talk about sloppy. And no vote has even occurred. Why were Mods enabled - they do not have a Talkboard vote.

Why have the vote. Why have an elected Talkboard if this is a done deal behind closed doors - or maybe it looks 'better' to have a vote?

Last edited by ozstamps; Dec 23, 2014 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Despite no vote having taken place, it seem to me this is a done deal in certain quarters. And some have it, some do not, some use it and some do not. Talk about sloppy. And no vote has even occurred. Why were Mods enabled - they do not have a Talkboard vote.

Why have the vote. Why have an elected Talkboard if this is a done deal behind closed doors - or maybe it looks 'better' to have a vote?
If you read posts in the larger discussion thread, you'll realize this is not a done deal.

See this post in the "Like" Button? Discussion Thread.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman

If you read posts in the larger discussion thread, you'll realize this is not a done deal.
I formed my strong view this was a done deal AFTER reading them.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I formed my strong view this was a done deal AFTER reading them.
And it's good to express views - part of the reason there's a month-long poll regarding the "like" issue is because it tends to be a pretty close for / against.

While I'm personally ambivalent, the poll and ongoing discussion are part of trying to sense what the collective community does (or does not) want. If it does get to a vote at some point, this feedback is important to consider.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
And it's good to express views - part of the reason there's a month-long poll regarding the "like" issue is because it tends to be a pretty close for / against.

While I'm personally ambivalent, the poll and ongoing discussion are part of trying to sense what the collective community does (or does not) want. If it does get to a vote at some point, this feedback is important to consider.
Hopefully TB will consider BOTH the input as well as the poll. As mentioned in the main like thread (and this one), there are a lot of issues that haven't been addressed & just fluffing off those who have asked them/not provided answers isn't a good thing as been done by at least one TB member.

I think the poll can be a snapshot, but as was just pointed out to me in a PM the votes jumped quite a bit overnight & the gap closed yet not much has changed. If anything, most folk are busy traveling & probably haven't had time to notice the sitewide announcement, which makes one wonder about some behind the scenes stuff going on. FWIW - I would say that if it jumped significantly overnight in either direction.

Also I doubt most FTers are reviewing the thread for pros/cons & are just clicking on the poll, so they don't have a lot of context. So whether it's pro, con, even, I hope/expect TB members to do their due diligence & consider both input in the threads & numbers.

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hopefully TB will consider BOTH the input as well as the poll. As mentioned in the main like thread (and this one), there are a lot of issues that haven't been addressed & just fluffing off those who have asked them/not provided answers isn't a good thing as been done by at least one TB member.

I think the poll can be a snapshot, but as was just pointed out to me in a PM the votes jumped quite a bit overnight & the gap closed yet not much has changed. If anything, most folk are busy traveling & probably haven't had time to notice the sitewide announcement, which makes one wonder about some behind the scenes stuff going on. FWIW - I would say that if it jumped significantly overnight in either direction.

Also I doubt most FTers are reviewing the thread for pros/cons & are just clicking on the poll, so they don't have a lot of context. So whether it's pro, con, even, I hope/expect TB members to do their due diligence & consider both input in the threads & numbers.

Cheers.
You mean that perhaps there is a lobbying effort to get this game more broadly enabled on FT, with that lobbying not limited to the TB thread(s) on this topic? That wouldn't surprise me, as it was already attempted.

Given how thin voting is on FT, it's easy for eager cliques to change the appearance of popularity for and against something or someone.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

First of all, this is not a “done deal” — and it never had been a “done deal.”

Secondly, moderators were enabled for the same reason members of TalkBoard were enabled: because each group has a private forum where the tests were supposed to have been confined.

Finally: why have the vote? I will speak for myself: because I personally care about what other FlyerTalk members think and want.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You mean that perhaps there is a lobbying effort to get this game more broadly enabled on FT, with that lobbying not limited to the TB thread(s) on this topic? That wouldn't surprise me, as it was already attempted.

Given how thin voting is on FT, it's easy for eager cliques to change the appearance of popularity for and against something or someone.
I'd go beyond a "perhaps" on a lobbying effort and bet the farm on it

Originally Posted by Canarsie
First of all, this is not a “done deal” — and it never had been a “done deal.”

Secondly, moderators were enabled for the same reason members of TalkBoard were enabled: because each group has a private forum where the tests were supposed to have been confined.

Finally: why have the vote? I will speak for myself: because I personally care about what other FlyerTalk members think and want.
As to a done deal, I would venture to say it is but that's just me and as to likes appearing in threads outside of the private mod and TalkBoard forums, it was pisted by the CD to only like posts in the private forums but some Talkboard members decided to ignore that and play by their own rules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.