"Like" counters now appear in FT profiles [Update: now off]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Like" counters now appear in FT profiles [Update: now off]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie
As to a done deal, I would venture to say it is but that's just me and as to likes appearing in threads outside of the private mod and TalkBoard forums, it was pisted by the CD to only like posts in the private forums but some Talkboard members decided to ignore that and play by their own rules
Dial it back a notch. I'm guilty of using the like elsewhere but it was not because I think I'm above the law, it was an honest mistake. You're a former TalkBoard member, I would hope you'd at least give us the benefit of the doubt.

And for it being a done deal, I know at least one TB Member who's going to vote NO on this measure, so again...please give us the benefit of the doubt.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd go beyond a "perhaps" on a lobbying effort and bet the farm on it

As to a done deal, I would venture to say it is but that's just me and as to likes appearing in threads outside of the private mod and TalkBoard forums, it was pisted by the CD to only like posts in the private forums but some Talkboard members decided to ignore that and play by their own rules
To be fair, I suspect that some TB members noticed the "like" button and either experimented on whatever forum they were at the time or assumed that "likes" had suddenly been enabled either on that forum or FTwide and proceeded to use the feature. I wouldn't assume that people saw the CD's request to only experiment on the private TB forum and deliberately ignored the request, although once the "likes" were appearing elsewhere and attracting some comments, it would have been normal to give a well deserved like to someone who remarked that they felt left out at that point.

It's also possible that some likes were done by accident: As I commented in the private TB thread, on an ipad, the like button pops up when you try to click on the buttons in the lower right corner. To me it was frustrating to try to enable quick reply or quote a post and see the like button appear instead. At that point, it would be natural to click it in an attempt to make it go away, or even in an attempt to unlike the post assuming that the appearance of the like button means that you have somehow already liked that post. we were all guinea pigs with no instructions on how the like function worked.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd go beyond a "perhaps" on a lobbying effort and bet the farm on it

Well there is defintiely a lobbying effort to ramp up the voting on the issue.

Some people on FT playing by their own rules or gaming the rules? Are any of us shocked by that on FT, the home of the points/miles game players?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have faith in TB members that they will review both the votes & the views expressed in this forum, both pro/con.

Cheers.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
Dial it back a notch. I'm guilty of using the like elsewhere but it was not because I think I'm above the law, it was an honest mistake. You're a former TalkBoard member, I would hope you'd at least give us the benefit of the doubt.

And for it being a done deal, I know at least one TB Member who's going to vote NO on this measure, so again...please give us the benefit of the doubt.
I give some but not all the benefit of the doubt but as to playing by their own rules, if the boss says you are free to do something but only do it in one specific location, one would expect that the instructions would be followed and I can give a mulligan for those that might have missed the instructions but even after a re-iteration of the instructions, if it still is happening days after the re-iteration, I say 2+2=3.99 and folks are not following the instructions either deliberately or not doing their job by reading the instructions

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To be fair, I suspect that some TB members noticed the "like" button and either experimented on whatever forum they were at the time or assumed that "likes" had suddenly been enabled either on that forum or FTwide and proceeded to use the feature. I wouldn't assume that people saw the CD's request to only experiment on the private TB forum and deliberately ignored the request, although once the "likes" were appearing elsewhere and attracting some comments, it would have been normal to give a well deserved like to someone who remarked that they felt left out at that point.

It's also possible that some likes were done by accident: As I commented in the private TB thread, on an ipad, the like button pops up when you try to click on the buttons in the lower right corner. To me it was frustrating to try to enable quick reply or quote a post and see the like button appear instead. At that point, it would be natural to click it in an attempt to make it go away, or even in an attempt to unlike the post assuming that the appearance of the like button means that you have somehow already liked that post. we were all guinea pigs with no instructions on how the like function worked.
Bolding mine: As i posted just above

if the boss says you are free to do something but only do it in one specific location, one would expect that the instructions would be followed and I can give a mulligan for those that might have missed the instructions but even after a re-iteration of the instructions, if it still is happening days after the re-iteration, I say 2+2=3.99 and folks are not following the instructions either deliberately or not doing their job by reading the instructions
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I give some but not all the benefit of the doubt but as to playing by their own rules, if the boss says you are free to do something but only do it in one specific location, one would expect that the instructions would be followed and I can give a mulligan for those that might have missed the instructions but even after a re-iteration of the instructions, if it still is happening days after the re-iteration, I say 2+2=3.99 and folks are not following the instructions either deliberately or not doing their job by reading the instructions

Bolding mine: As i posted just above

if the boss says you are free to do something but only do it in one specific location, one would expect that the instructions would be followed and I can give a mulligan for those that might have missed the instructions but even after a re-iteration of the instructions, if it still is happening days after the re-iteration, I say 2+2=3.99 and folks are not following the instructions either deliberately or not doing their job by reading the instructions
Or maybe there were accidents, or one or more person -- authorized or not -- enabled to use the feature against other members/posts wanted to see how it worked elsewhere and who would notice even if not part of the trial?

We know people aren't perfect in following instructions. That (toying around) is how it is going to go with the "helpful" or "like" instructions too, were this to become a feature for a lot more members on FT than it was during the most recent trial.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
As one who did experiment outside the forum (yes, I'm willing to acknowledge guilt here), it's because I had not seen the CD's post at that point.

I was not being a froward TB member.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:59 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by rwoman
As one who did experiment outside the forum (yes, I'm willing to acknowledge guilt here), it's because I had not seen the CD's post at that point.

I was not being a froward TB member.
I think the outside of the forum experiments brought to light some of the issues--like counters, people complaining that they didn't have likes while others did, and the inability to see what had been liked easily.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Originally Posted by kipper
I think the outside of the forum experiments brought to light some of the issues--like counters, people complaining that they didn't have likes while others did, and the inability to see what had been liked easily.
Indeed. "[I]t would have been normal to give a well deserved like to someone who remarked that they felt left out at that point." Giving a like out to someone soliciting the like because they feel left out does not seem to fit with the use of the like button that has been suggested by the others for its use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.