Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know if the club lounge is open on weekends? What is it like? Has anyone had any recent positive experiences at this property? Im a Platinum and am booking a stay there in a couple of weekends. Hoping for an upgrade, I wonder how many suites they have.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:51 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I believe they don't have suites there... never got a suite upgrade, but consistent upgrades to the club floor (10th).

When their lounge was closed (like the weekend before christmas) I always got comp breakfast coupons for the restaurant.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I just spent the night here and they are trying to double bill me for the night. I got a internet prepaid room for $80 plus taxes. I was going to express checkout through the TV but saw that they were going to charge me something like $164. I checked out downstairs and they only charged me for the dinner I had as the desk agent saw that I had prepaid for the room. Now I see on AMEX's website that the hotel is now charging me for the prepaid stay, the dinner, and another nights stay. I would watch out for this hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I stayed at this hotel in September 2003. My immediate reaction was "wow, this Westin is definitely sub-Westin standard!" The quality of the rooms are very low -- they really need to do a major facelift especially with their furniture. As most of the posts in this thread indicate, I too will try my best to avoid that hotel at all costs.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:16 pm

I had a stay at this hotel in November. It actually turned into a three-night stay on two separate reservations as we were in town for the NASCAR race, which was rained out on Sunday and postponed until Monday.

Why is that important? Both stays were booked using points -- the first two-night reservation was made online, while the second was made on the phone for the same night. No problem checking in either time and we were put on the club floor both times. The lounge was closed on the weekends, but we were given coupons to use for a free breakfast in the restaurant or free room service breakfast.

We checked in on Friday night and stayed most of the day in the hotel room on Saturday, leaving around 5pm for dinner. When we were leaving, we called to housekeeping to have them clean the room, since we'd been in the room during their morning rounds. We went to dinner and returned about 10 p.m. to find that our ice bucket had been refilled and the tv had been turned on, but the dirty towels were stll there in the floor, the trash cans hadn't been emptied, and the bed wasn't even made! what the heck?? So we called down to the front desk and had a hard time convincing them that our room hadn't been cleaned. Eventually got that straightened out to our satisfaction, at 11pm.

Saturday morning we ordered room service breakfast and used the coupons we were given at check-in. We enjoyed that greatly, as we're not the type to usually order room service.

Sunday morning we checked out at the front desk and the clerk tried to charge us for the room, even though it was a points reservation. She finally said, "Oh, I should have known. That's the only time we see the $40 rate show up." Again, she seemed kind of dense when I told her we had used points and we shouldn't be charged anything. At times I felt like I was speaking a unintelligible language due to the blank stares I received from the staff. Then the hotel tried to charge us for the room service breakfast, which we were given coupons for. Again, the staff were completely bewildered. They called the restaurant/room service manager and figured that out and the clerk reversed the charge.

Sunday night we checked into the hotel again (long very rainy day at the track, we weren't in the mood to shop for a hotel). Clean room, heavenly bed, no problems. Had breakfast in the club lounge before heading to the track again. Once again, at checkout, the same clerk as the previous morning tried to charge us for the night, even though we'd used points. She seemed to realize she was having a deja vu situation, but didn't realize I was the same unfortunate guest from the previous day.

Would I stay there again? Probably. It's a nice property, nice rooms. At Cat2, it's also a good deal for the points, especially on a weekend. Would I recommend it? I'm not sure. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the same hassles I did. I expected more from a Westin.

Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:24 am

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
I just completed a 3 night mid-week stay here.

I was upgraded to a room on the 10th floor (Club floor) as a Gold, and the room was decent for an airport hotel.

The continental breakfast/snacks in the club lounge were welcomed as well.

Service in the hotel was fine, and my room was kept very clean during the entire stay.

Overall, i'd recommend the hotel if you can stomach its poor location (right next to the airport--great for some, bad for others), and general "busy" atmosphere.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Thumbs up they actually got suites here...

Some may not believe it, but they actually got some suites here. Today, I got my first upgrade to a suite - room 1029 (on the club floor).
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I just finished a 1-night stay at this hotel. I didn't arrive at the airport until around midnight, so I don't have too much to say, but thought I'd add my experience.

I called from the airport to see if the shuttle was still running. It was, and the agent said it would be by in about 5 minutes. I waited about 15 minutes until the Sheraton shuttle showed up. I asked the driver if he'd take me and he gladly agreed. Bonus points to the Sheraton! Check-in was fine, although I was not offered the platinum amenity. They did tell me all about the lounge, though I did not partake. It looked nice, however. I received a huge suite. Room 1055 on the corner, with a view of the airfield.

The only other issue of note was the fact that the water pressure in the shower fluctuated wildly. About every 30 seconds, it would almost completely disappear, then shoot back with a vengeance. The shuttle back to the airport went fine. The hotel seemed very crowded.

All in all, a fine experience. Nothing spectacular, but if the price was right, I'd stay again.
Old May 12, 2005, 2:18 am

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Boy, do I wish I had read this thread before Tuesday. I stayed at this hotel Tuesday night, and there is absolutely no question in my mind - this is the worst Westin hotel I've ever experienced.

I just got done emailing a detailed letter to Starwood Hotel Customer Service -- we'll see what they have to say. Based on comments I'm seeing here, I don't hold much hope for anything being done.

All I can do is... stay as far away from that hotel as possible. If anyone is even contemplating staying there... run. Far, far away. Sleep in your car. Sleep on the sidewalk. The ONLY redeeming quality of this property is the Heavenly Bed. EVERYTHING else about this hotel sucks.
Old May 12, 2005, 9:04 am

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
i agree -- the hotel is really poor. definitely should not be branded a westin; even sub-par to many sheratons....

stayed there for numerous night when i was in between apartments in atlanta. the highlight was one room full of ants -- i didn't realize it until i was trying to fall asleep and felt them in the bed. i looked on the floor and there were tons of little ants all over the place. i guess that's why their carpets are dark -- they blended right in...
Old May 16, 2005, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the concierge lounge open on Saturday mornings?
Old May 16, 2005, 11:05 am

Lounge is closed during the weekends.

I rarely had a problem at the Westin.

I found service to be ways better than at the Airport Sheraton (which did not even care about their service promise the last time I stayed there, and I had several major issues from maintenance to phone calls not put through to my room).
Old May 16, 2005, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im assuming they give certificates to the restaurant for breakfast then, I vaguely remember doing this once before at this hotel, but it was years ago... Any recent experiences? or am I dreaming...
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:44 pm

Has this property gotten any better over the months? Or would i still avoid it?
Any comments are welcomed.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Very ghetto area indeed, perhaps one should stay in buckhead or midtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.