Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2003, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Also stick the do not disturb thing out as well... this will let any potential room dupe know that the front desk staff are weasels...

William: Is Starwood going through and deciding which properties to downgrade from Westin's to Four Points?? Seems about time for this considering 6 continents has done most of their property branding upgrades and downgrades....
Old Jul 3, 2003, 2:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The individual brands do their own policing of errant hotels.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 07-03-2003).]
Old Jul 3, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
William, I'd be interested to find out how this hotel keeps the Westin status. This is a Sheaton Hotel, clearly not to the standards of a Westin.

------------------
UA-GS/1K, (M-M)-AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Another report. I should have checked here first....

I had a reservation made via Starwood.com for a King non-smoking with a request for no connecting door on 8/15/03. I arrived a tthe hotel at 12:15 am. Check in person was talking with someone and acknowledged me after 5 minutes. At 12:25 she came over and asked me what I wanted. She looked for my reservation and couldn't find it. Asked me for confirmation which I had to look up. At 12:40am she found my reservation, but only smoking rooms available. So I took it. I asked about amenity, she looks at my Plat card which she was already holding, and says "you want the points". Note that this was not a question.

Got to the room, it's a smoking double with connecting door, but on the club level. Room has cigarette burns on the carpet and there's mold (at least 1'x6' area) growing on the wall under the window. Call the front desk. At 12:55am someone answers and tells me the hotel is sold out and nothing else available.

In the morning, Lounge is closed and no bill under the door so I have to stand in line to get my receipt. At no point did anyone ask me if I enjoyed my stay and there are no comment cards to be had.

Run, don't walk from this property. There are plenty of wonderful *wood properties in this area.

<Follow-up>
I sent a complaint to Starwood about my stay. The General Manager wrote back to me saying that he would make sure that the rooms are checked for mold and apologized for my inconvenience. My plat amenity points still have not shown up. I guess I'll need to call to get those posted.

Edited to add follow-up.

[This message has been edited by LightingGuy (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Westin ATL. Give them credit they have a Executive Club.

I have only stayed at this Hotel twice. I know it can be hit or miss. The last time I was in a rush. Today I stopped in the Executive Club Lounge and it had a nice continental breakfest spread. A mini frig with soft drinks. Nice. FYI
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:32 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Too bad I didn't see this thread before booking... I am now here; when I arrived the desk agent told me that they had no rooms and that the property was full. Despite that I am Plat and had booked several days in advance on spg.com. She didn't offer any kind of solution. I asked what my options were. She asked why I didn't head over to the Mariott ("It's only two blocks away"). She seemed genuinely surprised when I informed her that I had no interest whatsoever in "heading over to the Mariott". Finally she managed to locate a room (not on the club floor). She then told me that she had credited me with 500 extra points. I assumed these were additional points for the inconvenience but no- the compensation were the points that I am anyway entitled to and like the rest of you I was not offered a choice.

Big signs at the front desk state that ethernet cables are available at the front desk for guests wanting high-speed access. I was told that they had no such thing- that was a question for engineering and they were not in.

Once in the room it took an hour to fill up the bathtub, there was no guest service guide aside from the in-room dining menu. At least there's a heavenly bed...

------------------
KLM PE,HHonors Diamond,SPG Plat,PC Plat,SAS Silver
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA1kMFR:
William, I'd be interested to find out how this hotel keeps the Westin status. This is a Sheaton Hotel, clearly not to the standards of a Westin.

</font>
Mold? Ladybugs? Broken plumbing? Not Sheraton quality in my opinion.

Sounds more like a Masters to me. http://www.mastersinn.com/ (Almost stayed at one of these once...no key...only combo lock on the door. Interesting, except that upon trial and error the next three rooms had the exact same combo.)
Old Sep 22, 2003, 8:06 am

I too wish I'd seen these reviews before making a reservation for a night before an early morning flight. Is there a Starwood property closer to Hartsfield that would be adequate but still relatively close to the airport? I would be happy to use an airport shuttle or cab.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:05 am

The Sheraton is just around the corner, and a much better property. I recently did a mattress run through ATL and while my Westin ATL experience wasn't as bad as some of those here, the stay and particularly the staff were quite uninspiring.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I was at the Sheraton on a Priceline stay a few months ago and they were very good -- they even let me move my reservation when I asked nicely, and the Westin shuttle will take you to the Sheraton the 4 hours a day their own shuttle doesn't run (like 2-6am). I got full benefits and a nice upgrade. Of course, the flip side is that the Westin _is_ a Priceline property too, and combined with the lack of perks soon for Priceline, in the future I will book the Sheraton directly... and apparently definitely not the Westin.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:15 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I wonder why I never have those problems at the Westin ATL Airport...

Stayed there last week, the hotel was actually sold out that night, but they had my (upgraded) room blocked on the Club floor. My stay was fine as always.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:54 am

This hotel is best boycotted by frequent travelers for their attitude and ineptitude. It does get a lot of business as an airport hotel and possibly consequently the management is not very motivated for elite recognition.

This is the kind of hotel that drives people from SPG to HH.

There is a also a level above Platinum called Airline crew in this hotel.

See, for example my report in

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/007513.html
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:46 pm

One can only hope that after reporting to the Hotel Customer Service, they would correct themselves but it appears that this hotel does not really care as the above incidents (especially with late check-ins) continues to happen. I got the following as a reply on June 28th of this year after I had written a letter with constructive suggestions to the hotel regarding my experience in the thread linked above.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

Dear ...

Thank you for taking the time to convey your suggestion and thoughts on the check in process. I do agree that having the ability to check-in via the web or telephone would be very convenient and I will certainly pass this suggestion along to my General Manager. I have heard of hotels having kiosk
in the hotel lobbies that allow you to check in when you arrive at the hotel as well.

I do apologize for your experience at our hotel. We usually have two front desk agents on at this time of night but unfortunately this night one employee was unable to make it in. Also, every platinum guest should be offered their choice of amenity regardless of the check-in time and I am sorry this did not happen. I am planning on meeting with my team to re-evaluate our check-in procedures to ensure our guest's are not inconvenienced.

Thank you for taking the time to make me aware of the opportunity you experienced and please let me know if you will be traveling in Atlanta again. I would like to ensure your stay at our hotel will be very pleasant.

Sincerely,

Angela T. Niemann
Director Front Office
Westin Atlanta Airport
</font>
Writing a reply letter is cheap. Actually following up is what matters. The hotel has not learnt. We, as consumers, must do what we have to do.

What is the point of writing these letters if it makes no difference whatsoever.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Prob
"I am planning on meeting with my team to re-evaluate our check-in procedures to ensure our guest's are not inconvenienced"
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by welookgood.com:
Prob
"I am planning on meeting with my team to re-evaluate our check-in procedures to ensure our guest's are not inconvenienced"
</font>
Exactly. I was content to let it rest there after that letter but seeing recent posts here of the same late check-in problems...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.