Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
Has anyone been there recently? How bad are the rooms, food, beach, pool?
Just returned from one week stay.

None of the above are bad and that is an odd way to phrase a question.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:50 am

Hello, we never stayed at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun before, but want to try for 2 nights 12/19-12/21 before my 5 nights stay at Lagunamar. We are not gold or platinum, so I would rather pay up front for RBC. I see different RBC rates offered at spg.com for the same RBC Lagoon room, both has below description. However the higher rate is labeled 'Preferred rate + breakfast' for the same room with the same description for $22 higher. I wonder if anyone knows whether any RBC rooms booked will automatically come with free breakfast? I also noticed RBC Ocean view has an additional 'Lounge access', however cheaper RBC lagoon rooms do not. Is that true? Ocean RBC is $18 more. Thank you so much!

RBC Guest Room Detail,Non-smoking room
581 sq ft / 54 m²
Lagoon/garden view
Heavenly Bed & Bath
Continental breakfast
Private balcony

Last edited by marathon15; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:47 am

Welcome to FT marathon15!

I've only been once but as I understand it RBC rooms should all come with lounge access and therefore breakfast.

Frankly, your questions would be best answered by the hotel - might I suggest you email them to clarify regarding breakfast? It would also be good to have confirmation from the hotel in "B&W" so that if there are any issues you have something to back you up.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1092
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:10 am

Thank you travelwithmyself! Will email or call them about my reservation then. I guess I will reserve first so that they can look specifically for my reservation, and I will reserve a changeable rate anyway.

Can anyone also share whether RBC lagoon and ocean rooms have any other difference other than the view(ocean vs lagoon)? Any experience will be appreciated!

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Welcome to FT marathon15!

I've only been once but as I understand it RBC rooms should all come with lounge access and therefore breakfast.

Frankly, your questions would be best answered by the hotel - might I suggest you email them to clarify regarding breakfast? It would also be good to have confirmation from the hotel in "B&W" so that if there are any issues you have something to back you up.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1092
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Wrapping up a 2 day stay here after spending 5 nights at Westin Lagunamar. Reserved a Royal Beach Club lagoon view room and upgraded to ocean view. When I first walked in the room, I was overpowered by the smell of bleach which made a bad first impression. The room seemed very old after being at Lagunamar, but eventually the property grew on me. We are much closer to the beach here than we were at Lagunamar and the Royal Beach Club is also very close. The entire setting was much more intimate.

The RBC offers a nice breakfast in the morning (06:00-11:00) and good snacks in the evening (17:00-19:00). Staff was attentive and refreshing our drinks even when none had been asked for.

Unlike previous posters, I would highly recommend breakfast in El Palmar restaurant (which is a Platinum option, not sure if it's a RBC option). The breakfast buffet was much more extensive and delicious. Odd since the staff at the front desk all seemed to be pushing the RBC breakfast.

Not sure what the rooms are like in the main part of the hotel, but the lobby, restaurants and pool areas are all pleasing and in good shape given the age of the property.

Also, the ocean is much calmer here than at the Lagunamar. Yellow flag up instead of red flag (which was constant at Laguanamr).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:06 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Wrapping up a 2 day stay here after spending 5 nights at Westin Lagunamar. Reserved a Royal Beach Club lagoon view room and upgraded to ocean view. When I first walked in the room, I was overpowered by the smell of bleach which made a bad first impression. The room seemed very old after being at Lagunamar, but eventually the property grew on me. We are much closer to the beach here than we were at Lagunamar and the Royal Beach Club is also very close. The entire setting was much more intimate.

The RBC offers a nice breakfast in the morning (06:00-11:00) and good snacks in the evening (17:00-19:00). Staff was attentive and refreshing our drinks even when none had been asked for.

Unlike previous posters, I would highly recommend breakfast in El Palmar restaurant (which is a Platinum option, not sure if it's a RBC option). The breakfast buffet was much more extensive and delicious. Odd since the staff at the front desk all seemed to be pushing the RBC breakfast.

Not sure what the rooms are like in the main part of the hotel, but the lobby, restaurants and pool areas are all pleasing and in good shape given the age of the property.

Also, the ocean is much calmer here than at the Lagunamar. Yellow flag up instead of red flag (which was constant at Laguanamr).

we are currently here. What is nice about the Westin is that it is away from the main strip, but we are going to look at some rooms at the Lagunamar and maybe go for them next time. We had booked way ahead and they upgraded us to the RBC ocean view at the time which was nice, however when we arrived the closet was dripping, the door looked like someone had forced it open so was not secure and the phone did not work. The hotel was completely full but they offered to move us to a junior suite in the main building which we found much nicer. large bright room but no terrace, however the rbc rooms looked quite dark and the terraces were closed in - all in all we are very happy here and would recommend. I agree breakfast in the main dining room is much better.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:43 am

availability after Christmas

Has anyone been able to book Westin Cancun or Lagunamar arriving Christmas or the following week? I've tried to book with paid, points, or cash & points and nothing is showing up 9 1/2 months ahead. Is it completely sold out already?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA - Ex Plt, Starwood - Plt
Several weeks ago, I reserved two rooms using points for the Westin Resort for the week of Christmas.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cobijonz
We stayed here in October (dead season) and had SNA's on our RBC king room reservation. I emailed with reservation manager prior and she told me that SNA's would upgrade us out of RBC into a suite in regular part of hotel. Or, I could pay $65 a night to upgrade to Ambassador Suite in RBC. We chose the latter as it was a special stay. Ambassador suite was amazing and huge (pics on tripadvisor) and worthwhile for us. We really enjoyed the RBC and the quiet nature of that area of the resort as there was a corporate function at the main hotel for most of the time we were there.
So it sounds like one would be better off not applying SNAs and just hoping for a plat upgrade to RBC (given the red text above)? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2
Has anyone been able to book Westin Cancun or Lagunamar arriving Christmas or the following week? I've tried to book with paid, points, or cash & points and nothing is showing up 9 1/2 months ahead. Is it completely sold out already?

Thanks!
Lagunamar has been bookable for a while for December and January but only in 5 night increments. Otherwise it shows as unavailable...sneaky trick they've done. You can see this more easily by searching the award calender instead of putting in your dates.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
So it sounds like one would be better off not applying SNAs and just hoping for a plat upgrade to RBC (given the red text above)? Any thoughts?
But you won't get an RBC suite, just an upgraded room in the RBC, if at all.

Plat suite pool is in the normal building.

So it depends what you want...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
But you won't get an RBC suite, just an upgraded room in the RBC, if at all.

Plat suite pool is in the normal building.

So it depends what you want...
Thanks, I should've clarified. Based on my reading, it seems like RBC is the way to go (even if not in a suite) b/c it's newer and there is the lounge open in the morning and evening. So perhaps it may be preferable to be in a smaller room in RBC than a suite in the main building. Is that correct? (This is what I've cobbled together from a few different reviews I've read, but I could be reading that wrong.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And what if the hotel is full and there's no plat upgrade to RBC?

My wife and I stayed 6 times in this hotel always booking an RBC Ocean View room. These rooms are big and not dark (like somebody else mentioned). And one of the big advantages is they all have balconies.

I prefer to book a room in the RBC than a Suite in the other part of the hotel because in the other part of the hotel only the top floor have balconies and the ground floor have a seating area outside. All the other floors have no balconies and windows that barely open. What's the point of getting a suite with the SNA if you cannot enjoy the outside?

As I said before, the RBC rooms are large. If I was tired and wanted to go to sleep early, my wife would just sit on the balcony reading or enjoying the view of the stars. So, these RBC rooms provide plenty of space where one can enjoy some private time.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And what if the hotel is full and there's no plat upgrade to RBC?

My wife and I stayed 6 times in this hotel always booking an RBC Ocean View room. These rooms are big and not dark (like somebody else mentioned). And one of the big advantages is they all have balconies.

I prefer to book a room in the RBC than a Suite in the other part of the hotel because in the other part of the hotel only the top floor have balconies and the ground floor have a seating area outside. All the other floors have no balconies and windows that barely open. What's the point of getting a suite with the SNA if you cannot enjoy the outside?

As I said before, the RBC rooms are large. If I was tired and wanted to go to sleep early, my wife would just sit on the balcony reading or enjoying the view of the stars. So, these RBC rooms provide plenty of space where one can enjoy some private time.
Thanks for your perspective. Sounds like RBC is the way to go. Anyone know if we'd have access to the lounge in RBC if we stay in the main building?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thanks for your perspective. Sounds like RBC is the way to go. Anyone know if we'd have access to the lounge in RBC if we stay in the main building?
Certainly, as long as you're eligible for legit reasons (suite/Platinum/etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.