Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Seattle [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
THIS IS A CONVENTION HOTEL - NO 4pm check-out for specialty rooms (e.g. corner rooms, suites), even if you're upgraded or purchased a specialty room. If you require 4pm check-out, you need to book the standard or high floor standard room.

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Seattle [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by ldsant
I just eat at Urbane, Lola's, Etta's on the weekends for breakfast (or Portage Bay Cafe if I get motivated to take the bus over there!).
I'll have to try these the next time I'm in town!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Will probably be staying at the Sheraton Seattle in a couple of weeks. If I understand correctly from reading this thread, the suites are in the old building. Does anyone have any suggestions about using an SNA? I have a few left and would like to burn them.
Will be leaving the hotel around 7:30 am on a Saturday. I wouldn't mind a proper breakfast that's fairly quick. I'd be very grateful for any recommendations that meet those two requirements.

[edit:] I can't apply an SNA and it appears that they cannot be used at this hotel. Has anyone ever used one here?
[edit 2] turns out that they have temporarily blocked SNAs until they complete renovations Feb 1, 2014.

Last edited by BenSenise; Jan 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
WATCH OUT!! $1500 DAMAGE TO CAR FROM VALET THAT THEY DENY
In the interest of being balanced, there are some definite pros, while the negatives considerably outweigh the positives and I will never stay here again, here are the good points I experienced:

As Platinum was upgraded to a nice suite in Pike Tower, a bit dated, but spacious, wet bar, bigger than average mini bar type fridge.

Ordered room service (wasn't planning on it, but details under negatives) and had a cheeseburger that was delicious, hot, delivered quickly, and reasonably priced.

The bed was very comfortable.

Location is great, as with many downtown hotels, you are walking distance from almost anywhere you'd want to be, especially Pike Market.

Now, starting with the minor negatives....

Went to the bar Friday night at about 10:40, it was very busy and they seemed overwhelmed for the number of staff on. Was able to order a drink from the bartender almost ten minutes later. Asked to order food, and was told kitchen closes at 10:45. I asked if they could check, could get room service to the bar etc.
Bartender came back over a few minutes later and said he couldn't do anything - interesting as he didn't speak with anyone or pick up a phone. Also, all the printed and other material indicates the kitchen is open until 11 p.m. Which is it? 10:45 or 11?
Was able to just get a room service order in as main room service also ends at 11. From 11 am until 2 am, they just have a few things. It's unusual for a big city hotel like this not to offer 24h room service, but I believe it ends at 2 a.m.

Trying to reach someone...
Called Sunday morning to have car brought up from valet, only no one answered the phone. I tried Guest Services, Parking, Housekeeping, Room Service, Operator for about ten minutes and finally reached the manager on duty.
She was insistent that as they were busy, unable to bring the car around, and to go downstairs and present the ticket. I asked if I could speak to the Manager on duty (this was before I knew I was speaking to her), and she gruffly told me she was. I plead my case to no avail., promptly went downstairs, presented ticket and waited and waited to get car, while many other cars were sitting in the driveway. In fact, to leave, I had to obstacle course, back out the entrance around them.

Since that time, I've been told that they didn't realize I was platinum and would have retrieved my car. If you are going to charge $40 for valet, offer valet services! In the end, they removed the parking charges.

Now, for the finale that earns them a single star...

I drove from Vancouver to Seattle, and upon stopping for gas on the return trip Sunday after checkout, I washed the back window on my SUV and noticed the entire rear spoiler was missing/torn off.

Ford Edge which isn't that high and only a few thousand miles on it.

Valet ticket clearly indicated no damage upon check in.

Thinking back, after I checked in Friday evening, I returned a few minutes later to drive to Seatac from the hotel to pick up my girlfriend. On the drive, we heard a loud noise which I would later learn was the rear trim being ripped from the roof.

Having been to my Ford dealer, spoken with Ford themselves., etc., the only way this could have happened is due to damage to the spoiler from an impact from above or against the spoiler. After supplying photographs, damage estimate, copy of valet ticket etc., to valet company, long story short, they are denying my claim as they could not find evidence they acted negligently.

Parking is run by ACE Parking, and a separate company and the hotel takes no responsibility. However, when they decided to deny my claim several days later, it was the hotel manager who called me to tell me.

So, no more Sheraton Seattle for me, and I will decide what further action to pursue.

Your luck may vary, this is my experience.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I had also gotten my car damaged from Ace Parking - albeit at a sister SPG property. After getting nowhere with Ace Parking, I emailed the GM of the hotel. He stepped in and Ace Parking agreed to reimburse for repairs.

Hope you're able to sort it out.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Just an update, but actually recently received a cheque from Ace Parking for the full cost of the repairs (almost $2,000).
It was an interesting experience, where I pushed a bit and a couple of weeks later, ACE Parking called me to say they found "new evidence" with pieces of my car located in the garage.

Additionally they indicated that based on where the damage was and the spot the valet parked it in, the damage made sense.

While I appreciate they owned up to the damage eventually and reimbursed for the full cost, I call BS. They knew exactly what spot it was in, as I still had the valet ticket, they found a piece of the car weeks later?

Lesson is, always due a complete check of your car before leaving valet including the roof for any damage. It was a real headache, and I'm mostly glad no one got hurt when the spoiler flew off my car at 65 miles an hour...

The hotel also contacted me and credited my account with some points - I wonder what the turning point was that they suddenly completely changed their tune.

ckc
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Any recent stays apart from the upgrade issues referenced here?
I'm splitting an upcoming Seattle trip between here and the Four Points due to room availability and curios. From the TA reviews, looks like a decent if unspectacular hotel, which is fine.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We had 5 nights over Thanksgiving 2014, Wednesday night to Monday am. There was a long line up for check in at 4pm, with only 1 FD Clerk checking in and the Priority line unmanned.

We had booked a Club Room and received a Club Room. No upgrade provided/ available (although I didn't ask). I suspect the hotel may have been full the first couple of nights, as there was a marathon or some run over that weekend.

The Club Lounge was an absolute zoo for the first 2-3 days. It was way, way overcrowded but again that may have been the specific dates. The staff in the lounge were helpful but overworked and couldn't keep up when the lounge was busy. Hard to find anywhere to sit and some folks were eating on the floor in the elevator lobby outside it was that bad.

We had nice food in the wine bar and the attached restaurant Loulay, which is highly rated on TA.

The location was convenient for shopping and a couple of blocks from the Transport Tunnel/bus/ streetcar station but as stated by others there were certainly panhandlers around. Not a huge issue but more of an annoyance.

We had an issue with an alarm clock going off next door after midnight on 3 consecutive nights ( in an apparently empty room) and received little to no help at the time. The hotel did reach out after we posted about it on FT ( but had not responded when we complained on site other than a minor discount at check out) but we had moved on after venting so didn't follow up TBH.

There was nice art glass in the lobby and all of the artwork in public spaces and rooms etc seemed to be Dale Chihuly sketches, giving the hotel that local flair.

Our overall impression was that the hotel was acceptable but not exceptional. There was certainly no Platinum recognition, other than the 500 pt amenity, and free internet. As we'd paid for the club floor anyway ( hoping it might increase our chances of a better upgrade) there was no real benefit otherwise.

The biggest negative was the overcrowded lounge, although that was significantly better
by the Saturday of the holiday weekend.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by Fizzer
The biggest negative was the overcrowded lounge, although that was significantly better
by the Saturday of the holiday weekend.
Thanks! Will also be there over a holiday and both it and the 4P seem busy so I'll keep my expectations in check. Will do a trip report when I return.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:06 pm

Trip Report, May 2015

Had a four night stay here over Memorial Day Weekend and was mostly very pleased.

LOCATION: couldn't be better. Adjacent to the convention center and a less than 5m walk to Pike Place Market and Westlake Center. 10-15m walk to Pioneer Square and the Space Needle (or a 2m monorail ride from Westlake) so all of downtown Seattle's tourist destinations are immediately accessible. Perfect for leisure and business stays in that respect. Westin is closer to the Space Needle. I never did find the 4P after moving the first half of my stay.

SERVICE: I touched base with their social media team in advance as I knew I was coming in super late and the hotel was near full and didn't want any issues. They had the hotel call me and pre checked me in which made for a super quick arrival-much appreciated at 2 AM with my body clock on eastern. They have some issues W/R/T the new free WiFi policy that comes with booking directly through SPG channels and their own internal policy but I was happy to make use of the lobby's wifi until then. Had a small issue with room maintenance that was resolved within 15m - overall I found them very responsive.

ROOM: north-facing room on the 28th floor of the Pike Tower with a peekaboo view of Elliot Bay. Well-appointed and suitable for one person. I was upgraded as a Gold so I think this was the deluxe room? Not sure. Only bizarre thing -- no luggage rack available (in room or via Guest Svcs.) so I used the ottoman as same. Large safe in closet and comfortable desk for working. The wide window ledge was nice for watching sunset.

FACILITIES: didn't eat any meals at the property as there were simply too many other good options around the city. However I liked the coffee shop and souvenir shop in the lobby for incidentals and a quick coffee/pastry. The two-level gym in the Pike Tower was well appointed and towels were refreshed regularly. I didn't use the pool. The hotel was full but well staffed so lines didn't linger and it was always easy to get a spot in the lobby to linger as needed.

I'd definitely stay there again should I return to Seattle.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Stayed one of three nights here last weekend. Typical Sheraton, nothing spectacular, not a dump. Middle of the road.

Used an SNA; the suite setup was a bit strange. It was two rooms converted into one. Not your typical lockout suite, as the parlor portion of the suite was the corner room. Lots of nice windows on the 24th floor.

Don't remember which tower we were in, but it was not the one with the lounge so we had to go to the lobby and back up to 32d floor for the lounge. Saturday morning, the lounge was standing room only. Food was typical Sheraton lounge - nothing to get excited about.

All things being equal, we enjoyed the W Seattle much more (and we're not hipsters).

Ranking of hotels we stayed at:
1) W Seattle (surprisingly nice for us fuddy duddys)
2) Sheraton Seattle - gets the job done but without any flare
3) Sheraton Bellevue - there are nicer 4 Points. Book away from here.

EDIT: This post was moved by a mod from the Sheraton Seattle thread. Unfortunately, the mod didn't bother taking the time to make the post read correctly.
Mod, I don't know why you felt it necessary to move my post. I made the effort to post individual accounts on all three property threads. If I wanted to post on a generic city thread, I would have done so.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Jul 20, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I will third the recent comments that the W Seattle is a nice little property.

If travelers to the property are looking for breakfast options, I strongly encourage you to look into Ellenos Greek Yogurt down in Pike Place Market. Their Yelp reviews are accurate and it really was the best yogurt I have ever had. It's a <10 minute walk, and trust me when I say you'll be going back for seconds.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Stayed one of three nights here last weekend. Typical Sheraton, nothing spectacular, not a dump. Middle of the road.
Funny...I've always thought this is one of the better Sheratons in the US that I've been to (excluding fancy resort-type ones, though none there come to mind).

Not saying much for the Sheraton brand!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question what about Sheraton Bellevue?

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Ranking of hotels we stayed at:
1) W Seattle (surprisingly nice for us fuddy duddys)
2) Sheraton Seattle - gets the job done but without any flare
3) Sheraton Bellevue - there are nicer 4 Points. Book away from here.
What was your negative experience in Bellevue (I looked for your post on that thread but could not find?)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What was your negative experience in Bellevue (I looked for your post on that thread but could not find?)
I made separate posts on all three hotel threads. My Sheraton Bellevue post was very detailed as to the problems there. For some reason, a mod felt it necessary to wipe out those posts and put only one (without correcting it so that it makes sense in a generic thread) post here. I won't make the effort to make separate posts for each property again if that's how the mods are going to 'handle' this ... I HATE generic city threads with a passion.

Sheraton Bellevue - a few issues. Next to highway. No good food nearby. Plat Lounge is closed and has been since mid-Dec '14 for renovations. I took a peek into the lounge - based on the progress, it won't be open until 2017. Temporary lounge set up in a conference room. Ceiling in my room on the Lounge floor looked like it was about ready to fall apart. You could see every seam.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Funny...I've always thought this is one of the better Sheratons in the US that I've been to (excluding fancy resort-type ones, though none there come to mind).

Not saying much for the Sheraton brand!
I'm becoming more disenchanted with the Sheraton brand. I'm going to be shifting more of my stays over to Westins, and perhaps a few Ws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.