Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Boston Seaport District (was Westin Boston Waterfront) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Boston Seaport District (was Westin Boston Waterfront) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got the usual email followup with special offers to entice me back. This time there actually appear to be some good ones.

Click if you plan to visit Boston or if you live in NE...

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....p_POSTSTAY_BOS
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Stayed there Friday night on a promotional rate and was upgraded to a nice 2 room suite on the 10th floor. Desk staff was professional and polite, and they've clearly overcome any SPG recognition ignorance as is reported in some of the early posts. This hotel is huge, so it isn't what one would call engaging or intimate in any context, but the rooms and public spaces were fine. One note: valet parking is $36 and self-parking is $27, so the free on-street parking is a really good thing.

Last but not least: bring a map, or make sure you look at one before leaving the hotel. We asked 3 different people for directions to different parts of the city (and we actually know our way around Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Cambridge pretty well) and all 3 times were given really bad advice. The tunnel collapse and associated street work has made it really challenging to go east and west out of this place, and none of the staff members we asked had a clue.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Boston Westin Waterfront - recent stay report

I'm just completing a 2-night stay here for a quick business trip into Boston. My Boston client moved to offices right near here, and it's right on the new Silver Line to the airport, so it's located extremely conveniently for me. I'd read earlier threads about problems with service quality and staff knowledge, so I was both eager to stay at this shiny new property as well as concerned about things that might go wrong.

Things I liked:

1) Very friendly staff, and a very efficient check-in with an upgrade to a large (non-suite) harbor-facing room.

2) Upgraded room was large, nicely furnished in the new modern Westin style, at the end of the long corridor down the "spine" of the building. Corner room with a view out onto the harbor and to the east.

Loved the Heavenly Bed. Room had a large work area, both wired and wireless internet (though the wireless wasn't mentioned anywhere as available in-room), and a nice wide-screen flat-panel TV. Two armchairs, decent lighting, and good drawer space.

3) Great workout room for a hotel, as good as the typical cardio room in a lot of smaller health clubs.

Westin WORKOUT by Rebook: 4 bikes (2 recumbent), 5 steppers (3 ellipticals), 6 treadmills. All of them had flat-screen IP TV capability and about 20 channels selection, with buckets full of sealed headsets available. A small but decent weight machine set (chest press, fly, lat pulldown, leg extension and ham curls if I recall correctly), a weight bench and a good set of dumbells. Also a lot of core stability and floorwork stuff: stability ball (only one though), several medicine balls of various weights, Rebook Core Trainer boards (sort of a cross between a wobble board and a BOSU?), a few mats. Also several Steps. Not to be minimized: clean, well-lighted, well ventilated and cooled. Plenty of water, towels, magazines, tissues, etc. Right next to an attractive nicely-sized pool and whirlpool.

4) SPG Member's Welcome reception. Not specifically an Elite reception. Several selections of beers, wine, ordurves and dessert snacks, in a small meeting room well away from the lobby.

5) Complimentary "Yoga teas" with fascinating herbal ingredients in the lobby after work today.

6) Bowls of apples out at the front desk.

7) Sauceiety Restaurant - very friendly staff, delicious food, great variety of sauces to select that go with or contrast to appetizers, your entree, and even the desserts.

Things I didn't like:

1) No lounge or Club level, no breakfast or other elite level amenties (other than the standard choice of 500 points, in room movie, or something else.) You're paying for breakfast here even if you're platinum. The check-in clerk said "We don't have a Club level lounge yet," so there's a chance they will someday.

2) Maybe not the hotel's fault, but I got 5 or 6 misdirected calls to my room, including some hang-up calls. There were so many that I think they were misdirecting the calls, rather than the caller having the wrong room #. Likewise I had someone come to my door supposedly because I had called for service, but I never called (and didn't open). Think they didn't have the guest listing set up right. I wasn't pre-upgraded so maybe they thought they had somebody else in this room. Not good.

3) Some little things that just seem missing. No way to order room service breakfast ahead of time - none of those hang-tags for the door with a limited choice put out by midnight for prearranged delivery. No notepaper or envelopes in the room, other than a couple of pads of Fish-themed Post-Its.

4) No platinum goodies like a couple of bottles of water in the room. Just a few $5.00/bottle waters.

5) Too many winky-blinky lights inside the room with the lights off. The nice flatscreen LG HDTV had some kind of red blinking light inside its back panel. With the room lights out, it caused a recurrent red fan-shaped display on the wall behind it. Every 3 seconds! Then if that wasn't enough, why do hotels need to have smoke detectors that have bright blinking lights? You don't notice it when the lights are on, but when you've got the blinds closed and trying to fall asleep, the lights shouldn't be so bright that you notice it. Now despite the next item, this wasn't any kind of a strobe fire ALARM - it was just the normal "activity" lights from the detector. Every 7 seconds! Between the two flashing lights I was going nuts.

6) Wasn't thrilled with the fire alarm at midnight but Hotel security made regular announcements while the BFD investigated. It was a false alarm, but they did regularly keep the guests informed. The announcements were clearly audible in the room via an in-room speaker.

7) Sauceiety Restaurant - service may have been friendly but it was horribly slow. It took 16 minutes from when the hostess seated me until I was approached by a waiter! Lucky for me, I was finally approached by the other hostess, 1 minute earlier after sitting there for 15 minutes. Now to be fair, this is a long L-shaped dining room and I was seated at one of the small tables in the short end of the L, out of sight-line from the hostess station. However they designed the space that way, they'd better darn well have management, policies, and training to ensure that customers aren't ignored. When you seat someone, make sure the waiter assigned to that section knows that you've put someone there. Also even after all the apologies, they got a (trivial) part of my order wrong but I wasn't in the mood to make a fuss (it was just they brought me flat water instead of sparkling.) They did comp me for the glass of wine without my asking for anything, so all in all it was ok. Pricey though - dining alone, I didn't get out of there for less than $70 even with the comped glass of wine. The cheapest wine by the glass is $9, all desserts are $9, there's no entree less than $23, and vegetables/sides are an additional $6. Given that there are still very few dining choices in that area, the hotel really needs something in between this restaurant which tries to be hip/trendy as a destination in and of itself, and eating at the hotel lobby bar.

So overall impressions? Nice enough hotel at the $169/night promo rate occassionally available from the "Hotel Offers" link on the hotel's own page. Not at all worth it at the $300-500 rack rates IMHO. Has all the trendy glitzy shiny metal look of new Westins, and very friendly staff. But there are still
staff training/capability issues, some questionably missing minor conveniences, and since there's not much in the immediate area, insufficient dining choices. The fact that it's a big convention-center hotel isn't an excuse for confused or slow service IMHO - that's what they built and where they built it, manage for it. By now it's been open enough months that they should be done with their "shakedown cruise". But it still is a bit shaky. Problems weren't enough to make me cancel my already-booked December stay, but the quality/consistency isn't enough to make me book additional stays or higher-priced stays.

Back to the Sheraton Commander in Cambridge if I want SPG stays, or the cheapo Doubletree 3 stops down the Red Line where I negotiated a discount for multiple stays if I want to go cheap. Maybe I'll revise my opinion after my December stay, if the discount rates remain available at this Westin.

Perfect location if you're attending an event at either the new Boston Convention Center or at the Boston (Seaport) World Trade Center, so worth checking out. Not as isolated as the old days now that the Silver Line runs to South Station - easy 1-connection T ride to downtown or Cambridge, or 2-connection ride to the Back Bay.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Nice report XS!! ^
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Thanks! And thanks for merging it into the Master Thread - I knew it was out there somewhere.

Oh yeah one other negative: No hot water. Lots and lots of lukewarm water, but nothing I'd define as hot.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkXS
4) No platinum goodies like a couple of bottles of water in the room. Just a few $5.00/bottle waters.
very nice, thorough report. thank you.

regarding the quoted item, i think platinum SPG members are supposed to get free water (although i could be wrong). i thought water was free on SPG floors and if a platinum is upgraded to a nicer room that isn't on an SPG floor there was supposed to be some type of "water accommodation," no? maybe William has the "party line" on this.

(i know there was an extensive thread on in-room water pretty recently, no?)
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
very nice, thorough report. thank you.

regarding the quoted item, i think platinum SPG members are supposed to get free water (although i could be wrong). i thought water was free on SPG floors and if a platinum is upgraded to a nicer room that isn't on an SPG floor there was supposed to be some type of "water accommodation," no? maybe William has the "party line" on this.

(i know there was an extensive thread on in-room water pretty recently, no?)
There is no party line when it comes to water. The hotel either provides it complimentary or doesn't. Their choice. Except at Four Points branded properties where complimentary water is built into the brand standards, but that would be for all guests, not just Platinum members.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: aa e-plat 3 mm; ca plat; spg plat; hilton dia
Westin Boston Waterfront - Master Thread

The Westin Boston Waterfront

I stayed 3 nights (Dec 3 to 6th) in this hotel out by the convention center. Room rate of $279. Location is easy to get to from the airport all of my meetings were in the financial district and cab ride was $6 and just a few minutes each day.

Hotel lobby is large and expansive, check in was done at wooden kiosks like the Westin Kierland. Lobby included a well designed bar and a very large Starbucks, which was awesome. Restaurant was almost done in W style of woods and soft textures. Breakfast there was pretty good, highly recommend the breakfast wrap, eggs and spinach in a tortilla.

Instant recognition of SPG Platinum status on check in and I received an upgrade to a parlor suite (1044 & 1045). Parlor suite was a regular room with a pass through door to a similar sized room outfitted with a table and six chairs, a sofa and two comfy chairs. Parlor had a full bath identical to the one in the guest room.

Pass through was not open when I arrived in the room so I had to connect the rooms myself, no challenge really but a small miscue.

No Platinum amenity delivered to the room and I dont believe there is a club lounge I really just never thought about it while I was there, too busy and never asked, should have though, does anyone know if one exists here?

Window teatments included a full height sun shade instead of shears in front of the curtains, much nicer.

Both rooms were decorated with mod looking wall, desk and floor lamps, all with large white shades and metal bases. Carpeting is brand new and has different textures to it, felt great to walk upon.

Westin Heavenly Bed against wooden headboard. All colors muted and neutral, looks much better in person and much larger than pictures of the guest room on the web site.

Each room had a mini-bar, stocked with the usual overpriced items, free bottles of Panna water and a 32” LG plasma flat screen that actually played true HD, great for football. Also hotel pay per view had NFL ticket option, really cool!!!

Bathrooms were ok, only one shower head, guess that signature feature is going away, I never liked it all that much anyway. I wish they would give up on the bathtub and just put in a nice glass/marble stand up shower. How can anyone bath in those 18” high tubs anyway? Amenities included mouthwash and a foaming cleanser plus standard westin toiletries.

Internet service was quick and easy and $12.95 per day

Room service was quick and efficient, promised dinner in 30 minutes arrived in 17.

Work out room standard Reebok fitness as good as any Westin and indoor pool was nice not spectacular. Hot tub was more of a warm tub.

All in all one of the nicest, cleanest, slickest modern hotels in the Westin chain, if you are going to the convention center you will love it. Not great for vacationers but it could do, especially with the indoor pool, but you will have to ride the T or take cabs to anywhere you want to go. For business meetings in the new Seaport area (and I had a few there) it was perfect, I could walk there.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Dec 7, 2006 at 9:52 am Reason: Merged into existing master thread on this hotel; no changes to this post
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:55 pm

Had 2 nights there Nov 21-22. Overall impressed with the facility, although that large foyer/entrance level is cavernous and slightly creepy when there is extremely low occupancy such as the nights we were there. (Probably due to Thanksgiving). We never saw more than 2 people in that area or in the restaurant the whole time we were there, so the lobby/foyer area was like a church and deathly quiet!

Location is so-so, but it's an easy less than 10 minutes walk to South Station and another 5-10 mins into heart of downtown and around to Freedom Trail area. We only took the T once (to get to Logan on the morning of departure), but the T is very close by and handy if you don't feel up to walking or don't want to get a cab. Cabs always available out front during our stay at any time of day or night.

One annoying glitch during the stay was extensive fire alarm testing on both days. Weather turned a tad feral on our second day there, so we headed back in the mid afternoon only to be subjected to alarms and prerecorded messages going off every 3 minutes or so - this went on for almost 2 hours although a sign in the lobby said testing all day from 0900-2200.
Fire doors kept automatically closing and opening as well, so made it hard to find somewhere to escape the din.

Room was well equipped and furnished - loved the window shades idea.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:46 pm
zac

I just had a decent stay here. My one complaint was the false fire alarm one night where guests were not allowed to return to their rooms for a bit. From the reaction of the staff this seemed to be a somewhat regular occurrence.

Everything else in the hotel was very nice and the staff were all professional and courteous. I was given a room on the top floor overlooking the city so I had a great view of the Tuesday (2-13-07) night storm.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:31 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Can anyone update on the issue of if there is an elite lounge or not ? I was considering a short 4-day trip this summer w/ family, but no lounge = no stay for me. Its a deal-killer and a bit depressing this property wants to charge "city prices" but then decline to offer a lounge floor w/ standard amenities for elites.

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

What would be the next-best starwood option for proximity to the convention center that has an elite lounge ?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
Westin Boston Waterfront - Master Thread

came up to boston on friday for a client meeting... the plan was to meet the client at 6:30, so i called downstairs to the concierge at 4 to ask her to arrange a cab... i wanted a cab that accepted credit cards, and she said she'd call around and let me know...

one hour passed, didn't hear anything... so i called again and asked if she had called for a cab... her response was akin to, um, i tried calling you back but you didn't answer... i never left my room, so i was a bit confused... i told her i didn't hear the phone ring, so she said, "room 406, correct?" too bad i was in room 405...

she didn't apologize for her mistake, and told me to come down a little before 6 to sign some kind of slip that would allow me to charge the cab fare to my room... i said cool, i'll be down before 6...

got down to the concierge desk around 5:50... she was very efficient in having me sign the slip, and then told me to wait as the cab driver should be coming to her desk when he arrived... 5:55, 6, 6:03 passes, and i'm still ok... figured the cab might be a few minutes late (it happens at the best of hotels, right?)...

6:05 comes and me being the type to get overly concerned when it comes to being late for client dinners/meetings, i asked the concierge if she was sure a cab was coming... she said, yes, she had confirmed it... told me to be patient, and that they'd show up soon...

6:10 comes and now i'm starting to get annoyed... the concierge wasn't calling the cab company to check on the car, and was instead just taking her sweet time helping others make dinner reservations... i had to go up to her again and ask directly that she check on the cab... she said she would, and to give her a few minutes... here's the kicker... after she said that, she finished up w/ the guest she was helping, and took on a NEW guest and his dinner reservation... i'm seething now, but didn't want to make a scene... i just stared at her, hoping the evil eye would cause some action...

after she was done w/ the new guest, she called the cab company... no answer... tried again, and no answer... by now, i'm really annoyed... i asked her if this was a cab company that she normally used, and she said it was... at a hotel such as this, i would've expected that the concierge would use a cab company that is ultra-reliable (and at least picks up the phone!)...

so still no answer, and she decides to walk out to the front to see if the cab had arrived and the driver just didn't come inside... no luck there... the bellhop (or whatever he's called -- the guy who opens the car doors when people arrive) said he'd try calling another company, and the concierge said she would try calling the cab company again...

i go back inside with her, and she helps another guest first... after that's done, she calls the cab company again... this time, they pick up... but guess what... no cab was coming after all... from the half of the conversation i heard, seems like the cab company didn't get confirmation from the concierge, so they never sent anyone... oh man, i was so mad...

i told the concierge to just forget it, that i'd hail a cab on my own and just pay cash... she cashed out the paid-for slip (forget if that's what it was called) and brought me back outside to get a cab... the guy outside suggested that she get me a stipend (basically comp my cab ride)... i figured that was cool, and appreciated that...

the kicker was that now that i was outside waiting for a regular cab, none showed up... i literally was waiting out there for 10 minutes, with a bunch of other people, and no freaking cab came by... this is a westin, by the convention center, and no cabs... unbelievable... the lack of regular cabs isn't the hotel's fault, but note to self -- don't stay at a convention center hotel on a friday night...

finally, a cab comes and i get in... but it turns out the cab didn't accept the stipend slip i got from the hotel... so i ended up paying for the ride myself... and oh yeah, the cab driver tried the "oh, i forgot to turn on the meter so let me add $5 to the fare" scam on me... the rip-off job again wasn't the fault of the hotel, but if the concierge did her job properly, and arranged for a car from a reliable car service company, i wouldn't have had to wait 45 minutes to board a cab when i had been told one would be coming at 6, and i wouldn't have been late to my client meeting (the guy was left to sit by himself at the restaurant for quite some time -- man, i felt embarassed)...

the hotel looks really nice, but the service i would have expected to be more reliable... its not like i wouldn't recommend staying here... i'd just suggest that if you make arrangements w/ the concierge here, triple-check to make sure she has it correct!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Could the cab problem be 'weather related'??? I know here in NYC for the past couple of wintery days, taxi's and car services have been scarce, late or non-existant. Even calling ahead to our usual private car service, we've had problems with no shows, massive delays and having to share the ride due to lack of cars. So when you add in the time (prime time 6pm=rush hour) + traffic+ weather, there were bound to be delays. Yes, the hotel could have done better in calling ahead, but I think the issues had more to do with the weather than poor service at the Westin.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Sorry the OP had a rough time with transport and the concierge at this new property.

However, the entire incident appears to be related to interaction with one sole employee. I'm not sure that amounts to a condemnation of the hotel. Like the OP, I would've been miffed at the situation, but these are the sorts of things that just happen most anyplace.

Most reviews of this hotel have been quite positive, FWIW.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
This is exactly why I rarely depend on a concierge to do anything for me. It's the old saying, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

I know that is not what one should expect, and it was entirely legitimate for the OP to expect what was asked for, but how often do we read similar stories. If you kept score, how often does a concierge really do what you expect? For me, it's about 10% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.