Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Boston Seaport District (was Westin Boston Waterfront) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Boston Seaport District (was Westin Boston Waterfront) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Starwood = Nickel & Dime Fees

I very much enjoyed the upgrades at Starwood, and e.g. the trendy W Hotels, etc.

However, one major reason I left were the nickel and dime fees for things like calling 800 numbers.

Conversely I was at a Marriott last week and for $12.95 a day you got unlimited domestic long distance with internet service.

For those of you slugging it out at Starwood, I suppose each hotel could waive the package and telephone charges. If you spoke to the manager, especially if you frequent a particular hotel, and voiced your displeasure with these fees, perhaps the hotel would waive them for you.

However, these fees leave me with a bad impression of the Starwood corporation. They seem greety and like they want to collect evry little fee.

I also thought there was more to the Westin fresh air thing (like some kind of purification) and when I clicked on the snazy name they have for it, all it means is they have a no smoking policy.

It seems like this company as an analogy sells say a "selection of cookies" where you pay say $9 and they give you three small cookies on a huge good looking plate. Incidentally a lot of so called up scale restaurants sort of do this give you a small portion for a high price on a good looking plate.

I'll file a report once my friend completes the stay.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Conversely I was at a Marriott last week and for $12.95 a day you got unlimited domestic long distance with internet service.
many starwood properties offer this option (i.e., local and LD calling plus internet for a fixed price).
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Beware the understaff Boston Westin Waterfront

Its a nice hotel, and its in very good shape. However I have now encountered a couple of problems that lead me to believe their front desk is a little understaffed.

(1) During peak check in times I usually see only 1 person attending the desk, leading to long often slow lines.
(2) They have lost or made an error when handling my reservations twice now. Most recently they thought I would be arriving Wednesday and departing thursday, when in actuality it was Monday-Thursday. The hotel was full, but they found a king. However they ended up billing me for more then my reservation one night
(3) Today I logged into my SPG account and they did not give me credit for the cost of my room! The plat amenity and what I spent on food was there, but not the room charges!

Now they are always willing to help fix these problems, weren't the least bit hesitant to agree to a little extra point compensation for my hassles either. However their office really does need to just try better at avoiding these difficulties in the first place.

Side note: The shrimp cocktail on their room service menu is really really excellent. Some of the largest and freshest shrimp I have seen in a while. The seafood cob salad is excellent too. GF has me on a low fat diet It has been a while since I have actually found thehotel food to be good as oppossed to merely tolerable.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by prosen
Its a nice hotel, and its in very good shape. However I have now encountered a couple of problems that lead me to believe their front desk is a little understaffed.

(1) During peak check in times I usually see only 1 person attending the desk, leading to long often slow lines.
i made the exact same observation in my review above. it's the oddest thing: you can go to the front desk during peak times (sunday check-out, for example) and there is almost NEVER more than one person working the front desk. and, the front desk area is huge. there must be six big lanes with computer stations, but there was almost never more than one person at the front desk, regardless of how many people were on line.

i like this property quite a bit but they definitely need to improve staffing levels at the front desk. paging: six sigma.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
weeklong stay...ut oh....Was there a SPG promo for this hotel?

Oh boy--Im at this property for a weeklong conference at the Convention Ctr in 2 weeks. Are the rooms at least pretty nice? And the gym? Thats all I really care about as I'll be out all day and night anyway.

Also, I recall seeing an SPG promo tied to this hotel for any summer 2007 stays? Was I off?

Thanks for any help and these tips.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Originally Posted by kdinino
Oh boy--Im at this property for a weeklong conference at the Convention Ctr in 2 weeks. Are the rooms at least pretty nice? And the gym? Thats all I really care about as I'll be out all day and night anyway.

Also, I recall seeing an SPG promo tied to this hotel for any summer 2007 stays? Was I off?

Thanks for any help and these tips.
The rooms are nice but small unless you are upgraded to a suite. The gym is pretty good. The hotel's food is pretty decent.

There was a promo that gave 1k points per stay at certain hotels, including I think this one.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prosen
The rooms are nice but small unless you are upgraded to a suite. The gym is pretty good. The hotel's food is pretty decent.

There was a promo that gave 1k points per stay at certain hotels, including I think this one.
yeah, i think this property was on the list for the 1K point bonus. i tried many, many times to register but kept getting an error message.

i like the rooms and LOVE LOVE LOVE the beds, showers, pillows, etc. i cranked the air and had a great sleep. i really like this property. the victuals are fine.

the gym is adequate, particularly if you love cardio. if you are looking to do any type of free weight workout, you might as well not even go. the gym's equipment is also very spread out (i.e., they could easily add more stuff). the usual westin fruit (apples) at the front desk and gym are also missing at this property.

and, don't try to check in during prime time. i don't think if i ever saw more than one employee at the expansive front desk.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdinino
Are the rooms at least pretty nice? And the gym?
have you even bothered to skim the thread?

i commented extensively on the gym not that long ago. i stayed at this property earlier this summer and wrote a review which included gym details, no?
Old Jul 28, 2007, 7:43 pm

stayed at this property for a couple of days during a conference at the convention center and it is extremely convenient considering it is directly connected. The front desk was staffed with 3 people every time I checked and I checked often since reading this thread. Self parking was extremely convenient and it seemed to me that the parking lot is under utilized since I always parked on Level 1 near the elevator and there was always plenty of spaces. It is $29 for self and $39 for valet. As previously stated, the gym is adequate especially for cardio. There is a pool and it is a decent size. The rooms were typical Westin and brand new so I found it quite nice. The windows are floor to ceiling and the rolling see through shades were a plus to keep the sun out. Overall I had a fine stay but if not staying for a convention, I probably would opt for a central Boston hotel where I could walk to restaurants and shops. This hotel did not have too much of interest within walking distance.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
any recent stays?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
any recent stays?
Mid-September. MrsXS who's a fitness writer was with me, so I booked a Westin Workout room and noted "please don't upgrade". She loved having the in-room treadmill, pilates stuff and a rather innovative dumbbell set (different attachable plates via a lever-type arrangement in a compact flat storage unit).

All the light bulbs worked this time In fact, they were all turned on when we went into the room. I think my in-hotel profile must now say "turn on all lights before guest arrives." Sorry for all the carbon.

Service was good and they did a rather excellent job of adapting to the massive International Fertilizer Institute convention that was there. Put up some attractive enough fencing to separate the lobby bar seating area from the general open space due to the crowds, added a temporary Japanese restaurant up on the mezzanine level - and had apples out at check-in!

Probably staying there again in December on a work trip, unless I decide to save some money at a cheap Doubletree. Don't need a HHonors nor Starwood stay again in 2007 in terms of requalification, but think I'll go with the Westin again just from the comfort level.

edit - forgot to note that they do have the double shower heads now. I guess they got complaints about not having them. Our room had it, but I also noticed that it's prominently mentioned in all the different room type descriptions at booking time.

Last edited by MarkXS; Nov 18, 2007 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:37 am

does this property offer any airport transportation or is it simply a matter of the silver line or a cab?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Mahalo
Self parking was extremely convenient and it seemed to me that the parking lot is under utilized since I always parked on Level 1 near the elevator and there was always plenty of spaces. It is $29 for self and $39 for valet.
I stayed at this property a couple of weeks ago & there was construction on the street on the side of the hotel (the street that connects with the bridge) - they are building buildings & the area up. I could hear nothing from the hotel, but parking on that street was FREE. One side of the street was permit only, but the side the hotel is on was free!! Hope this will help someone save some $$!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by ethang801
does this property offer any airport transportation or is it simply a matter of the silver line or a cab?
Silver Line or cab - you got it. AFAIK the only Starwood property in Boston that offer free airport transportation is the Four Points Logan Airport. Which isn't in Boston. And isn't at Logan. They run a free shuttle to/from Logan (which means it gets you to the Silver Line too) and to the Blue Line on the T. But it sure isn't the Westin.

T is really quick on the Silver Line since you're only 2 stops after the tunnel. Of course the last Silver Line from Logan is 12:45am so no good on those late-arriving flights. Cab shouldn't cost all that much, though you'll have the toll and the airport surcharge on top of the maybe 4-mile ride.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:11 pm

Any thoughts on how the views are for 4th of July fireworks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.