FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Westin Boston Seaport District (was Westin Boston Waterfront) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:03 pm
gster78

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
Westin Boston Waterfront - Master Thread

came up to boston on friday for a client meeting... the plan was to meet the client at 6:30, so i called downstairs to the concierge at 4 to ask her to arrange a cab... i wanted a cab that accepted credit cards, and she said she'd call around and let me know...

one hour passed, didn't hear anything... so i called again and asked if she had called for a cab... her response was akin to, um, i tried calling you back but you didn't answer... i never left my room, so i was a bit confused... i told her i didn't hear the phone ring, so she said, "room 406, correct?" too bad i was in room 405...

she didn't apologize for her mistake, and told me to come down a little before 6 to sign some kind of slip that would allow me to charge the cab fare to my room... i said cool, i'll be down before 6...

got down to the concierge desk around 5:50... she was very efficient in having me sign the slip, and then told me to wait as the cab driver should be coming to her desk when he arrived... 5:55, 6, 6:03 passes, and i'm still ok... figured the cab might be a few minutes late (it happens at the best of hotels, right?)...

6:05 comes and me being the type to get overly concerned when it comes to being late for client dinners/meetings, i asked the concierge if she was sure a cab was coming... she said, yes, she had confirmed it... told me to be patient, and that they'd show up soon...

6:10 comes and now i'm starting to get annoyed... the concierge wasn't calling the cab company to check on the car, and was instead just taking her sweet time helping others make dinner reservations... i had to go up to her again and ask directly that she check on the cab... she said she would, and to give her a few minutes... here's the kicker... after she said that, she finished up w/ the guest she was helping, and took on a NEW guest and his dinner reservation... i'm seething now, but didn't want to make a scene... i just stared at her, hoping the evil eye would cause some action...

after she was done w/ the new guest, she called the cab company... no answer... tried again, and no answer... by now, i'm really annoyed... i asked her if this was a cab company that she normally used, and she said it was... at a hotel such as this, i would've expected that the concierge would use a cab company that is ultra-reliable (and at least picks up the phone!)...

so still no answer, and she decides to walk out to the front to see if the cab had arrived and the driver just didn't come inside... no luck there... the bellhop (or whatever he's called -- the guy who opens the car doors when people arrive) said he'd try calling another company, and the concierge said she would try calling the cab company again...

i go back inside with her, and she helps another guest first... after that's done, she calls the cab company again... this time, they pick up... but guess what... no cab was coming after all... from the half of the conversation i heard, seems like the cab company didn't get confirmation from the concierge, so they never sent anyone... oh man, i was so mad...

i told the concierge to just forget it, that i'd hail a cab on my own and just pay cash... she cashed out the paid-for slip (forget if that's what it was called) and brought me back outside to get a cab... the guy outside suggested that she get me a stipend (basically comp my cab ride)... i figured that was cool, and appreciated that...

the kicker was that now that i was outside waiting for a regular cab, none showed up... i literally was waiting out there for 10 minutes, with a bunch of other people, and no freaking cab came by... this is a westin, by the convention center, and no cabs... unbelievable... the lack of regular cabs isn't the hotel's fault, but note to self -- don't stay at a convention center hotel on a friday night...

finally, a cab comes and i get in... but it turns out the cab didn't accept the stipend slip i got from the hotel... so i ended up paying for the ride myself... and oh yeah, the cab driver tried the "oh, i forgot to turn on the meter so let me add $5 to the fare" scam on me... the rip-off job again wasn't the fault of the hotel, but if the concierge did her job properly, and arranged for a car from a reliable car service company, i wouldn't have had to wait 45 minutes to board a cab when i had been told one would be coming at 6, and i wouldn't have been late to my client meeting (the guy was left to sit by himself at the restaurant for quite some time -- man, i felt embarassed)...

the hotel looks really nice, but the service i would have expected to be more reliable... its not like i wouldn't recommend staying here... i'd just suggest that if you make arrangements w/ the concierge here, triple-check to make sure she has it correct!