Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
...the main restaurant was closed in late July, so I can't give you any good/bad/indifferent on that. Location-wise, either is great.
The Imperial dining room is comparable to the Korso restaurant in the Bristol (and the traditional Austrian dishes, such as tafelspitz, are the best choices, as the Imperial uses great cuts of meat in making them instead of the traditional scraps). Very expensive but worth it.

There really is no comparison between the Imperial and Bristol. The Imperial is at least one category better, and it shows in every detail. Fodor rates the Le Meridien as better than the Bristol, fwiw. There are a couple of specific rooms in the Bristol that are fabulous -- leading to fawning trip reports, as you might expect when someone gets a USD 2000 suite for their points, but the other 100 rooms at the Bristol are nothing like that. While 90% of the rooms at the Imperial are fabulous (there are a few ex-servant quarters that have been converted to rooms, and those are like the Bristol rooms, but can be easily avoided if you don't book the minimum category).
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:07 pm
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Make sure you have a liter of Ottakringer or two - a local Vienna beer that I'm now addicted to but sadly cannot get in the US. And bring me home some. Please. =)

In general I couldn't find a crappy restauraunt in the 2 weeks I was there -
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by number_6
The Imperial dining room is comparable to the Korso restaurant in the Bristol (and the traditional Austrian dishes, such as tafelspitz, are the best choices, as the Imperial uses great cuts of meat in making them instead of the traditional scraps). Very expensive but worth it.

There really is no comparison between the Imperial and Bristol. The Imperial is at least one category better, and it shows in every detail. Fodor rates the Le Meridien as better than the Bristol, fwiw. There are a couple of specific rooms in the Bristol that are fabulous -- leading to fawning trip reports, as you might expect when someone gets a USD 2000 suite for their points, but the other 100 rooms at the Bristol are nothing like that. While 90% of the rooms at the Imperial are fabulous (there are a few ex-servant quarters that have been converted to rooms, and those are like the Bristol rooms, but can be easily avoided if you don't book the minimum category).
I would echo this 100%, great concise summary. The Bristol is very nice but the Imperial is on another level.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
I would echo this 100%, great concise summary. The Bristol is very nice but the Imperial is on another level.
Good to know. It does seem like the Imperial is a better choice, but given the difference between the categories, I've decided to stick with the Bristol.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with either choice. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
Thanks for the advice! One more thing.....assuming that I will be SPG Plat and will be using points for my stay, should I book a standard room and hope for an upgrade or just use the points for a suite up front?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by davidjdewey
Thanks for the advice! One more thing.....assuming that I will be SPG Plat and will be using points for my stay, should I book a standard room and hope for an upgrade or just use the points for a suite up front?
If it were me, I would use the points to confirm it. Based on other posters reviews you could wind up with something spectacular as opposed to very ordinary. It would make the trip that much more memorable.

Definitely make sure you swing by the Imperial - it is only two blocks away (take a left out the front door and cross the street.)

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: Former Starwood Plat, Former Marriott Plat, Delta Million Miler, US Airways Million Miler
Agree that euros from ATM in airport (and then any block in Vienna) is best way get cash. Direct train from airport into town and then short, cheap cab ride to hotel is simple.

Many, many good restaurants. For casual experience only in Vienna, try Weingut Reinprecth wine tavern by taking the tram to Grinzing or Figlmuller not far from the hotel for the best wiener shnitzel anywhere.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just stayed at the Bristol for five nights on points with my wife and got upgraded to a stunning corner suite. (I'm a *wood gold.) Big living room and big bedroom, nicely furnished, with two full bathrooms (though the one off the entry way "only" had a shower and was small). Very solid doors, very quiet.

Was impressed by the hotel in most but not all other respects. Friendly reception staff and bell service. Quick and thorough maid service. One great (younger) concierge; the two older ones more formal. Very quick room service. OTOH, a few times there was no phone answer or follow-up from guest services. Smallish fitness room--seven aerobic machines and a couple of weight machines. The business center consists of two computer terminals.

The negative items are mere quibbles, though, in view of the upgrade. The suite itself made the stay truly memorable.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:35 pm
PPM

Bristol Hotel in Vienna

I am considering using award points for a 3-night stay at the Bristol Hotel in Vienna. Can anyone share experiences with this facility?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 18, 2008 at 6:13 pm Reason: Moved into master thread without edit
Old May 27, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Thumbs up

I had two nights in Vienna and split them between the Bristol and Le Meridien. It was a classic difference between old world and modern, with both hotels resulting in a great upgrade and stay. My preference was for the Bristol (my Fiance's was for Le Meridien) due to the feel of it - you knew you were in Vienna.

At check in I was given an upgrade to a Tower Suite. My room rate was 330 Euro before I used my corporate rate and the Tower Suites' rate was about 750 Euros - a pretty great upgrade. For the platinum amenity, I was offered the standard 500 points and I took an imperial torte made famous by the other starwood hotel in Vienna (and can be purchaesed for about 20+ euros). Also available, I think, was $10 worth of minibar charges and a bottle of wine.

The room was beautiful. Nice antiquish furniture, a beautiful chandelier, painted and beamed ceiling in the circular bedroom (the room is actually a turret of the building that you can see on each of its corners), a small patio overlooking the StaatsOpera - overall a great suite.

We ate dinner in their second tier restaurant (Sirk or something like that, not Korso) - 38 euro for a 4 course meal. Very good - but a little empty so lacking a bit of ambiance.

The staff seemed nice and helpful and did not look down at us when I thought 200 euro per ticket was too expensive for the opera or suggested walking the 100m to Le Meridien. Otherwise, did not use much of the concierge or other staff.

Overall, a beautiful hotel, perfect location, great platinum treatment. I would definitely recommend a stay there.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
I noticed this thread because of a "today" post. I totally agree with the original poster....the Sachre Torte at the Sachre (?) Hotel was disappointing, way overpriced, and very dry.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I like the Sacher torte in the hotel Sacher ("the original Sacher torte") very much. The gateau has less jam and therefore is less sweet and less rich. Individual tastes are different - thank goodness!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:31 pm

Does anybody know which instant awards the hotel offers? Do they have breakfast and/or a dinner on the list?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Has anyone eaten at Korso recently? What is it like? How dressy is it? Will be staying there later this summer with points.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Has anyone eaten at Korso recently? What is it like? How dressy is it? Will be staying there later this summer with points.
Angelmahr is new chef (after Mr. Gerer) in the Korso since the end of 2008. Food and service are still great.
No need to wear a tie (but I would not wear my usual/daily streetwear)

http://www.restaurantkorso.at/

Excellent food (not only Tafelspitz) with still reasonable prices is offered by Plachutta (there is also a "Plachutta branch" with [beer]garden http://www.gruenspan.at/ ).

Last edited by LH738; Aug 25, 2009 at 4:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.