Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:01 pm

Any special treatment at this hotel for SPG Gold? I've not made it to Platinum, can only be top tier in 1 chain at 1 time and this year it's Hyatt with the great promotions. But I do plan on having a few Starwood stays this year.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Talking This Hotel Was Fabulous

I stayed at this hotel twice in August, 2010. Received nice upgrades both times for my platinum status. But, what impressed me even more was the staff, especially Oscar. Oscar is the room service guy, general problem-solver, jack of all trades, overall a great guy to know at this hotel. If you need something, ask for Oscar and tell him "the guy from southern california" and his son, Justin, recommended him by name. Props to Souhail as well - another great guy to know at the hotel. The hotel is run by Thomas who is also super attentive to the fine points (a total class act). An incredible location ... literally seconds away from the train station (but we heard no noise from the station whatsoever) and a couple minute walk to the center of Brussels. Which is why we came back again a second time to this hotel (and we are so glad we did). A wonderful breakfast - my suggestion is to approach Thomas if you need a courtesy towards breakfast. I did and Thomas proposed a very reasonable solution which had me paying a significantly discounted rate for the breakfast during my first stay (and included my breakfast in my rate when I booked 2 rooms for the second stay) which was greatly appreciated. The rates were so fabulous at this hotel that I decided to buy the rooms rather than even do cash and points. Thanks again Thomas for an incredible stay!!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by theguyfromsocal
I stayed at this hotel twice in August, 2010. Received nice upgrades both times for my platinum status. But, what impressed me even more was the staff, especially Oscar. Oscar is the room service guy, general problem-solver, jack of all trades, overall a great guy to know at this hotel. If you need something, ask for Oscar and tell him "the guy from southern california" and his son, Justin, recommended him by name. Props to Souhail as well - another great guy to know at the hotel. The hotel is run by Thomas who is also super attentive to the fine points (a total class act). An incredible location ... literally seconds away from the train station (but we heard no noise from the station whatsoever) and a couple minute walk to the center of Brussels. Which is why we came back again a second time to this hotel (and we are so glad we did). A wonderful breakfast - my suggestion is to approach Thomas if you need a courtesy towards breakfast. I did and Thomas proposed a very reasonable solution which had me paying a significantly discounted rate for the breakfast during my first stay (and included my breakfast in my rate when I booked 2 rooms for the second stay) which was greatly appreciated. The rates were so fabulous at this hotel that I decided to buy the rooms rather than even do cash and points. Thanks again Thomas for an incredible stay!!
Thanks for the post. I'll be traveling extensively to Brussels for work over the next couple of months, looks like I know where I should stay!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:02 pm

To IVK5

IVK5 - Do me a favor, when you get to the hotel, seek out Oscar and tell him "the guy from southern california" and his son Justin say hello and we can't wait to see him again. Thanks.

P.S. He will also likely make sure you stay is great!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
The website for this property mentions a club lounge, seeing some here have said that they do not have a lounge, could anyone verify this.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:23 am

There was no club lounge when I was there a few weeks ago nor was there any other form of complimentary breakfast for us as plats. Also, there was no wifi in the rooms--only the lobby, which was a problem for me as I only brought my iPad. That having been said, it was a lovely hotel and we were upgraded on C&P to a nice junior suite that was actually two separate rooms. But for the wifi issue, I'd give it a thumbs up.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
stayed at this property this week. Outstanding location. Great PLT upgrade to top floor (6th) ... huge windows with panoramic view of city. Beautifully appointed room. Up to "Luxury Collection" standards. Huge bathroon with seperate, glassed in shower and tub... marble floor to ceiling. Couch, two lounge chairs, two desk chairs great looking original art on walls.

No club room, no free breakfast. Still a great place to stay. Stupendous value for PLT... paid abbout 100 EU per night.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:29 am

Roller Bed

Hi,
Has anyone ever requested a roller bed or an additional bed for the room?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
So no free breakfast anywhere for Plats in this hotel it sounds like? I was hoping for a club lounge as we only have one and a half days in Brussels and did not want to spend time searching for a place. DH and I don't need much really, just cereal and/or bagels/toast would be fine. Any ideas for breakfast nearby?

Last edited by blase; Oct 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by blase
So no free breakfast anywhere for Plats in this hotel it sounds like? I was hoping for a club lounge as we only have one and a half days in Brussels and did not want to spend time searching for a place. DH and I don't need much really, just cereal and/or bagels/toast would be fine. Any ideas for breakfast nearby?
I spend 5 months there earlier this year and I am belgian. You are in the very city center with plenty cheap breakfast options in the close neighborhood.
Many restaurants there as well although sometimes touristy.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:39 am

Blase - Just a suggestion. Contact the manager of the hotel, Thomas, and ask him to provide you with 50% off the breakfast for your platinum status. Tell him the "guyfromsocal" who stayed with him 2x in August suggested you request that from him. If that is approved by Thomas, it is a very fine option considering the quality of that breakfast. Thomas is a great guy ... I highly doubt you will have a problem if this solution sounds appealing to you.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:32 pm

Experience report after 50 nights

Here is a report on my experience on Le Meridien after more than 50 nights since Feb 2010. I have become Plat with my stays there.

In the very centre of Brussels and a stonethrow from the Grand Place. In front the Gare Centrale (Central Station – Train and Tube). Easy connection with Brussels airport.

Front desk
Very professional, no special remarks but as I spent 50 nights there this year, I was always welcomed by my name. They are really trying to find solutions should you have an issue.
I usually checked out in the evening before to avoid the queue after breakfast on the following day. I have never had any issues in regard of the billing and the minor glitches (Internet for plats,…) were promptly solved.
Earlier this year I had a lot of issue to get my points credited and I had to provide them a full XLS list of my stays for reconciliation. The front desk supervisor worked hard to get it solved. Now it seems not to be an issue anymore (1-2 days).
Also quite irritating as well that habit sending a email a few days before your stay to propose you an upgrade to junior suite for a fee (I know your upgrade is then secured but… see below).

Rooms
Actually quite nice. I am used to Deluxe ones.
Several remarks on these:
- Avoid like the plague the following rooms: rooms with numbers x0x and x1x. They face a street that can be noisy especially early in the morning
- Avoid low floor rooms, some of which are standard with a cramped feeling, overlooking the restaurant floor
- Avoid also the Junior suites on the 6th floor, they are only marginally larger than the Deluxe ones but have a cramped feeling due to one of their wall being curved (being in the roof). At least ask to see them before settling. I had to constantly deny upgrade to their Juniors and ask for room 44x (odd numbers).
- I would avoid to some extent the rooms facing the station although it is not as noisy as it seems
- I like the fourth floor, especially the ones facing the rear (a pedestrian place). Lovely view and quiet. They have odd numbers starting with 431 to 451 (the even numbers face the station). Do not forget to request at reception (with signature) the unlocking of your windows. It is better to get some fresh air while sleeping. The ones facing the place seem not to be king but two single beds put together. Bedding is quite good. In these Deluxe separate showers.
- I have not tried full suites but they seem quite nice.
- Minibar as usual way overpriced (you can easily stoke-up drinks and snacks in nearby shops).
- Internet seemed to be quite fast and reliable (Ethernet connection).

Bar
Jermyn street bar is quite nice to relax after a day’s work. It also serves a good value meal at 21 EUR inclusive of drink and coffee/tea. It compares favourably with the touristic places downtown.

Restaurant
Actually very good food with reasonable price compared to downtown touristy places. Very professional service.

Breakfast
Good without being exceptional. Possibility to book 2 adjacent rooms for group of up to 10 persons. Request needs to be made in advance.
Very good quality of coffee and top quality tea (Dalmann Freres). Raw ham very good.
Quite a lot of good quality products but nothing like the bonanza of an asian 5 star hotel.
To be noted: gluten free, lactose free products.

During the FWN promo in May – July, I did a little bit of hop on – hop off with the Sheraton Brussels located 15 min walk from there, also can be reached by tube but with a change en route.
Sheraton is a huge impersonal tower but it has a lounge but really not up to par (breakfast minimal and evening snacks not worth it. It also has a swimming pool.

Drawbacks
No business lounge.
No indoor pool/sauna/hammam/spa
Gym minimalistic.

Instant award
Can’t find any value there

Cocktail or Champagne of the Month 1500
24 hours Internet access 3000
Spa Treatment
30 min massage 6000
60 min massage 10500
90 min massage 15000
Room upgrade
To Deluxe 3000
To junior suite 9000
To suite 12000
A new and recent release on TV 3750
100% Belgian menu at restaurant 4500
Buffet breakfast (for 2?) 3000

Plats amenity
Bottle of wine, 500 points or 10USD credit for on site consumption.
Took 500 points so cannot comment on the quality of the wine.
The 500 points or 10 USD on site credit to deny room (Green something I do not recall) make-up is still valid there (15/10/2010).

Overall a very nice hotel centrally located very near the Grand Place and the Central Station. Deluxe rooms are more than enough compared to suites/junior suites.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:02 am

No club lounge, and not only no free breakfast, but no ala carte menu, only a fixed price 30Euro buffet. Kitchen closes early in the "late" evening as well. I would have expected more F&B options from such a classy property.

Great jr suite upgrade though as plat.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by scaplan
No club lounge, and not only no free breakfast, but no ala carte menu, only a fixed price 30Euro buffet. Kitchen closes early in the "late" evening as well. I would have expected more F&B options from such a classy property.

Great jr suite upgrade though as plat.
Last order for the 21 EUR menu (fish, meat,...) in the bar is effectively 22:30.
Correct for the no à la carte menu for the breakfast.
No other special plat benefit than the junior suite upgrade (not worth it in my opinion).
Otherwise a very good property.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:42 am

As stated before, as a platinum I never paid more than $15 Euro for the breakfast and the kids were comp'ed on both of my visits. You just got to ask the right person there (nicely).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.