Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Wow, feel really sorry for the guests there now. Wonder what *wood will do with them when they get kicked out tomorrow at noon. Not only is it terrible that the guests will have to spend a day of their trip packing/moving, I can't imagine it's easy for *wood to find a ton of empty rooms at comparable hotels on short notice.
This weekend it is easy as Brussels is empty. And even starting into next week there are plenty of rooms.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSING (Bankrupcy) at noon, Sat 7 Jun [Master Thread]

Well that was an interesting experience. Returned to the hotel late last night to see the notice on the TV screen that they were closing doors noon the following day. In the morning all seemed reasonably calm. A few guests being relocated (some a little unsettled). The desk staff seemed to be shaken but behaved with great professionalism. A number of big security folks standing in the foyer looking menacing. Not sure who they were representing.

Quite a lovely hotel (though dodgy plumbing and weak wifi in my room). I hope it all resolves and they reopen.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Maybe they will manage to re-open rather quick? After all, I guess everyone wants to get money into the system.

I think my rate was pre-paid, but they have not charged my credit card yet. I also had an approved BRG-claim for the reservation. Anyone who knows if they can charge me for the reservation now even though the hotel is closed? Sheraton is available for 80 Euro and Aloft for 62 Euro.

I have contacted Starwood and they told me they are working on moving the reservation to other hotels in the vicinity. They would send me an new confirmation but had to check available rates. Due to bankrupcy I am afraid my money and reservation is lost, and I have to to for an extra reservation.

Last edited by Chriscross; Jun 7, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Chriscross
Hm, I have (or had) a reservation next weekend. Have not reseived any info from Starwood yet. Should I be pro-activ, or wait and see if they will offer an alternative?
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Le Meridien Brussels is currently closed.

For any inquiries about an existing reservation, please contact us at [email protected]
or 08000 282 840

For more informations, please visit facebook.com/lemeridienbrusselshotel

http://www.lemeridienbrussels.com
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Le Méridien Brussels deplored Friday the closure of the hotel decided by the trustee, following the declaration of bankruptcy of the tenant, Starman Brussels, on Wednesday. Le Méridien brand has managed the hotel since the date of its opening in 1995 and, since 2005, the contract management with Starman Brussels.

The direction of Le Méridien Brussels said to study with all customers current and future alternatives for accommodation in the Belgium's capital. Le Méridian expresses aware of the impact on the 140 employees of the bankruptcy of their employer Starman Brussels.

The enforced closure of the hotel is part of a legal dispute between the tenant, Starman Brussels, and the owner of the building, Swiss Hotels Leasing Company (CMHC), about unpaid rents. With the Absence of agreement, Starman Brussels filed a petition under the Act on business continuity in February with the commercial court of Brussels.

http://www.lesoir.be/565514/article/...lles-licencies (in French)
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, this was unexpectedly fast. Thanks to KittyCat for surfacing this serious issue.

LM Brussels has been my favorite hotel in Brussels for travel in and out of BRU to The Netherlands the past 3 years. I hope this is settled soon and Starwoods will be retained as the operator.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The owner of the building could again operate by itself the hotel and even already re-engage 60 people. Furthermore, Le Méridien Brussels operator, which managed the hotel since 1995, assured that the dismissed employees will be considered for future employment opportunities.

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/3007/Brux...scandale.dhtml
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Philippe Close, Brussels ministry of tourism, said : "there is a problem of real estate profitability for the hotels. This is the paradox of Brussels. The tourism sector is doing very well and there is a significant increase of nights sold, but revenue per room is still too low".

Christian Bouchat, regional Secretary of the FGTB , said "it appeared, during the examination of the dossier, that at least eight members of staff were on the payroll of the Starman company, despite they work at the Sheraton, which is prohibited. The contracts of these workers should be transferred immediately to the Sheraton".

http://trends.levif.be/economie/actu...0647458585.htm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Brussels Hotels Association believes that the amount of rents, at issue in the conflict at Le Méridien, is not the only factor that now endangers the profitability of the sector. It points particularly the increase in the cost of labour and denounced the 45% increase in personnel costs in 10 years for the sector, against 24% on average in Belgium. Given the need for intensive labor for the service industry, personnel costs currently represent about half of the total turnover of the Brussels hotels.

http://www.lacapitale.be/1023559/art...lite-du-secteu
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was due to check in on Monday morning for three nights, and was contacted by Starwood today to rebook me at the Sheraton. Unfortunately, I was forced to pay a higher, restricted rate (no cancellations allowed) at an inferior property. This is a huge inconvenience, but with rates and occupancy at other hotels this coming week quite high In Brussels (they drop precipitously next weekend), I don't feel I had a choice. Glad they contacted me, but I feel like I should have been offered the same rate, or provided with some kind of compensation in lieu of that. In any case, this is a first -- for me at least.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skipmnyc
with rates and occupancy at other hotels this coming week quite high In Brussels (they drop precipitously next weekend)
Brussels is infamous for sky-high workday rates and dirt-cheap weekend ones. I have routinely booked Aloft for 60 EUR for Saturday/Sunday night stays, but the same room easily reaches 250 EUR on a Monday. This is valid for pretty much the whole year.

Unfortunately, I was forced to pay a higher, restricted rate (no cancellations allowed) at an inferior property.
I have to admit I'm very surprised that Starwood didn't come up with some sort of "rescue plan". The least I would've expected is for them to rebook people to other Brussels properties at discounted rates. In fact, I'd even expect some Starpoints on top, since none of the other properties match LM's location, or category for that matter. The inconvenience is undeniable.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I was due to check in on Monday morning for three nights, and was contacted by Starwood today to rebook me at the Sheraton. Unfortunately, I was forced to pay a higher, restricted rate (no cancellations allowed) at an inferior property.
on *wood. I would expect much better service recovery. It's not the customer's fault that the LeM went bankrupt and shuttered its doors at the last minute, and for *wood to charge customers anything more than what their reservation was for is just wrong.

Not only is it the right thing to do, it would have built great customer goodwill (especially with those that are not regular *wood customers) to have worked quickly to relocate at the same rate that the original reservation was booked at.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One's reservation contract is with the property, not with Starwood. That Starwood does anything should be understood as goodwill.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the manager/proprietor cancels the booking, even as a result of force majeure, he/she must repay any payments you made earlier. But you are not entitled to receive damages under any circumstances.

http://www.eccbelgium.be/cancelling-...ing-s65021.htm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That Starwood does anything should be understood as goodwill.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.