Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:01 am

This has been an outstanding property, and we have enjoyed our stays with this LM staff. The best location by far of any hotel. We hope that they reopen soon still under the LM banner.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:36 pm

I had booked for 10 nights in late Nov at LM Brussels. Got the call yesterday and then a follow-up email about the closure. I've asked them to cancel completely and not re-book at any of the lesser SPG properties in Brussels. I'm not excited at all by the Sheraton or Aloft. We had wanted to use the LM as our base while we explored Belgium. Now, we're wondering if we should wait it out a few months to see if the bankruptcy case would get resolved somehow and LM Brussels will re-open. Anyone with an educated opinion? Otherwise, we're now thinking of moving to the SPG property up in Amsterdam and spending most of our holiday in Holland instead.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by EWRorJFK
I had booked for 10 nights in late Nov at LM Brussels. Got the call yesterday and then a follow-up email about the closure. I've asked them to cancel completely and not re-book at any of the lesser SPG properties in Brussels. I'm not excited at all by the Sheraton or Aloft. We had wanted to use the LM as our base while we explored Belgium. Now, we're wondering if we should wait it out a few months to see if the bankruptcy case would get resolved somehow and LM Brussels will re-open. Anyone with an educated opinion? Otherwise, we're now thinking of moving to the SPG property up in Amsterdam and spending most of our holiday in Holland instead.
I have a reservation in August. Initially we were told this was a legal dispute and SPG expected the hotel to open soon. I got a call this week and was told they are recommending anyone with reservations through November re-book. I have kept our August reservations, but also booked the Sheraton Airport as back-up (we are only there one day so this works for us).

I'm starting to think the problem is more complicated than they first thought. If you will absolutely not be happy at another hotel, I recommend you book somewhere you will be happy. If you want to hold out, you can keep the reservation and have a backup as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EWRorJFK
How about spending part of your holiday at the excellent Hotel des Indes in Den Haag? Really a lovely spot. Great breakfast. http://www.hoteldesindesthehague.com/
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies @sweetz and @slocouple.
For now we're going to move over to the Marriott Brussels just so we have a proven place to stay at in Brussels.
I was a bit tempted to look into Des Indies previously - I knew of its existence - but we're probably going to just stay in Amsterdam and take day trips, if any, from there. If we had more time at our disposal, it might be fun to split 3 nights at Des Indies and another 3 nights up at Hotel Pulitzer.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Hotel ownership changed hands, re-opening mid-august?
News - in Dutch
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Hotel ownership changed hands, re-opening mid-august?
It sounds as if they are talking to groups other than Starwood. I wonder if Marriott and Hilton are just mentioned as an example, or if those 2 are the real candidates. Could this soon be the new Brussels Hilton?
(Marriott already has a hotel nearby, so I can't see why they would be interested...)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Originally Posted by Koby
Could this soon be the new Brussels Hilton?
(Marriott already has a hotel nearby, so I can't see why they would be interested...)
Would be so cool to have a proper hilton again here in brussels. That would be an ideal location to replace the lost Conrad.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
Would be so cool to have a proper hilton again here in brussels. That would be an ideal location to replace the lost Conrad.
Confirmed in the Belgian press, this property will become the Hilton Brussels Grand Place. Sad for SPG, but good for my HH account...

Links (only in Dutch and French):
http://www.demorgen.be/reizen/le-mer...otel-a2107131/
http://www.lecho.be/detail.art?a=956...m_recent&ckc=1

I guess that's the end of this thread...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Koby
Sad for SPG, but good for my HH account...
I agree. This is why it's good to maintain status in multiple chains. And it's really good for Hilton as their current Brussels hotel is one of the worst Hilton's in Europe.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
I agree. This is why it's good to maintain status in multiple chains. And it's really good for Hilton as their current Brussels hotel is one of the worst Hilton's in Europe.
Nothing else to add to this statement. ^
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
I already miss this hotel

Staying at the Sheraton now and it's a faaar from LM... and the hotel looks like its seen better days - especially the stale smell is pretty bad
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm at the "new" Hilton now and boy have they dumbed down the quality here! The F&B is awful and the new staff they have added (to the existing staffers who stayed) appear to be all interns. All this makes me wonder if the problem was that Le Meridien didn't want to reduce their quality but the financial issues with the hotel owner meant that they had to cut costs. If I'm being charitable to Le Meridien and Starwood I'd compliment them for sacrificing the hotel rather than sacrificing the quality. Hilton appears to be ok with selling a poor product here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.