Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
Arion vs Westin vs GB - Which is better if the price/points is the same ?

I am looking at having about 3 days in Athens , 3 days in Mykonos and 3 days in Santorini.

At the mo I am thinking GB or Arion ?????

Will be in Athens the day of our honeymoon
It depends on what you want -- the GB is in the heart of Athens, with a spectacular view, right where all of the demonstrations occur; Astir is on the riviera, also with a spectacular view, but of the sea. The Westin is right next door to the Astir, on a slightly lower level of luxury. On a slightly different track, the Intercontinental is available for only 5,000 points right now, so you might want to think about that.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:04 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

I am looking at having about 3 days in Athens , 3 days in Mykonos and 3 days in Santorini.

Why not book 3 days at the Arion and just make a day of Athens like we did? We had cocktails at the GB to start the day. A day in Athens was enough for us.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Totally different beasts....if you have never stayed at the GB it is truly a wonderful opulent experience. Walking distance to everything that you would want to see in Athens. I would never go to see "Athens" and stay on the coast.

Telling them it is your anniversary may garner an upgraded room as well.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The Astir Palace hotels are a resort complex. It's not very practical for Athens sightseeing and might seem similar to your island plans.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I stayed many times at the GB. The hotel is superb. The location is very good for tourism but very bad if there are demonstrations in front of the Parliament. For this reason, I started staying at the Westin in the Astir Palace Complex. Reason I chose the Westin instead of the Arion is that all the rooms in the Westin face the sea. As I'm not high level in the SPG program, I could see myself getting a room in the Arion facing the parking lot and that would ruin my vacation. As two adults with no kids we also prefer the swimming area of the Westin, especially since every morning we were able to grab one of the cabanas near the water. Pure luxury!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, United 1k, Hilton Gold, Budget Slowbreak. Hertz 5 Star
Any suggestions for booking a day cruise from this property? What about hiring a guide with a small van for a group of 9 to tour the nearby countryside?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Why not book 3 days at the Arion and just make a day of Athens like we did? We had cocktails at the GB to start the day. A day in Athens was enough for us.
Also, Arion runs a free shuttle into central Athens in the morning and afternoons.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Thanks for all the replies !!!

Intercontinental is not on the list of points break properties @ 5000 anymore and not sure it would of worked as my first night is Aug 31st . A paid night is only 80 euros anyway!

We spent our anniversary last year at the W Barcelona.

Anniversary is Sept 2nd so going to spend three nights then head to Mykonos by ferry on Sept 3rd.

As it stands I have booked 3 nights at the Arion in a Grand Deluxe room on 6000 points + $110

For my 3 nights ;

GB - 2 nights C+P (6000+$110) + 1 night 16,000 points ( no C+P ) . Paid rate 257 euro
Westin - 44,000 points , no C+P. Paid rate 268 euro
Arion - 3 nights available on C+P (6000+$110). paid rate 328 euro for grand deluxe.

Strange???? the Arion offer bother the lowest level and the next level Grand Deluxe room on C+P!

Arion looks the best bet and we can take the shuttle into Athens one day and return by taxi if we want to spend the evening there etc
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Astir Palace Hotel Complex in Greece with L.C., Westin [Master Thread]

I think you do the right thing. You can visit the city while enjoying a nice resort feel. Have fun ! If you find dining at Arion too pricey you can walk to Vouliaghmeni, about 15 minutes, cheap and decent places to eat, sit with the locals.

From downton, you can take the tram to the final stop and then a quick taxi from there.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Originally Posted by banzani
I think you do the right thing. You can visit the city while enjoying a nice resort feel. Have fun ! If you find dining at Arion too pricey you can walk to Vouliaghmeni, about 15 minutes, cheap and decent places to eat, sit with the locals.

From downton, you can take the tram to the final stop and then a quick taxi from there.

Thanks . In the end i have booked 3 nights in the Arion (6000 points+$110) then flights to Santorini for 3 nights / 4 days (Hotel undecided looking for a lastminute deal , would like Caldera views but lack the $1500 a night for Mystique!) ending with a night in Grand Bretagne (6000 points+$110) before flying back to Ireland.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Forget the Arion lounge, it's one of the worst I have experienced in terms of offerings, but everything else is deluxe.
Having just got back from another stay at the Arion I really do not understand how you cannot enjoy the bizarre little loumge. Yes, the food offerings are limited at breakfast but we ate downstairs anyway. The nibbles in the evening are not far off what you get at many other lounges and the views from the outdoor balconies on both sides cannot be beaten by many other lounges I can think of. The wine is no worse than the tat we get served in many places these days but having a couple of cold beers sat outside watching the sun go down will do me. ^
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:43 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Having just got back from another stay at the Arion I really do not understand how you cannot enjoy the bizarre little loumge. Yes, the food offerings are limited at breakfast but we ate downstairs anyway. The nibbles in the evening are not far off what you get at many other lounges and the views from the outdoor balconies on both sides cannot be beaten by many other lounges I can think of. The wine is no worse than the tat we get served in many places these days but having a couple of cold beers sat outside watching the sun go down will do me. ^
Hmmm, we strongly disagree. In Australiasia the Club Lounge experiences are exceptional. Look at the Sheraton on the Park, Sydney the Westin Siray Bay, Le Meridien BKK (none of which are luxury collections) and then you'll understand just how woeful the Arion Lounge is.

Generally one expects a hot and cold buffet, and hard spirits. We found the food offerings sparse, and the wine absolutely revolting. We retreated to our suites balcony instead,
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:09 pm

i will be in the Arion for our wedding anniversary. Any ideas ?
i was thinking an evening meal in Nobu?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Hmmm, we strongly disagree. In Australiasia the Club Lounge experiences are exceptional. Look at the Sheraton on the Park, Sydney the Westin Siray Bay, Le Meridien BKK (none of which are luxury collections) and then you'll understand just how woeful the Arion Lounge is.
The great thing about living in the free world is we are both entitled to our opinion, and I'll take the lounge at the Arion over the Sheraton on the Park, a Hotel I hope to avoid staying at again after three terrible stays there last year, any day. The lack of staff in the Arion beats some of the people in the lounge at SOTP.

I can't comment on the Westin Siray Bay as I haven't stayed there but I'd love to know where the lounge is at Le Meridien in Bangkok as I've never seen it.

Generally one expects a hot and cold buffet, and hard spirits. We found the food offerings sparse, and the wine absolutely revolting. We retreated to our suites balcony instead,
That's why we stick to the beer. I find the wine in many club lounges pretty poor but it's outdoor balconies and the views (both sides) not the food and drink that makes the Arion lounge.

i will be in the Arion for our wedding anniversary. Any ideas ?
i was thinking an evening meal in Nobu?
Matsuhisa is great, but make sure you book.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I can't comment on the Westin Siray Bay as I haven't stayed there but I'd love to know where the lounge is at Le Meridien in Bangkok as I've never seen it.
Neither the Westin Siray or LM BKK have "real" lounges. The Westin Siray typically hosts its platinum cocktail hour open air in a really nice setting on top of the Italian restaurant.

The LM BKK hosts its cocktail hour in their former sushi bar, now bar only, bamboo chic. It excels in service and drinks, not so in views or atmosphere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.