Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by remymartin
The LM BKK hosts its cocktail hour in their former sushi bar, now bar only, bamboo chic.
I've stayed there a few times so I know that, that's why I said I have never seen a lounge there.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Hi,
I am doing 1 night Arion (Astir Palace) -> 5 nights Santorini -> 1 night Grande Bretagne.
Anyone know the current price of a taxi between Astir Palace and airport ( both trips will be in daytime) ?
thanks
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
Hi,
I am doing 1 night Arion (Astir Palace) -> 5 nights Santorini -> 1 night Grande Bretagne.
Anyone know the current price of a taxi between Astir Palace and airport ( both trips will be in daytime) ?
thanks
The rate from and to the airport is flat; 35€ daytime, 50€ night.

Keep in mind that if you have the hotel call a taxi for you there is a surcharge of 7-8 euros!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
thanks 35 euros is ok. should i insist the taxi at the airport runs the meter or just confirm it is a flat fare of 35 ? will be there tomorrow!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat
weebobby- I'm so jealous! I did that same trip last year and had a fantastic time. We stayed 1 night at the westin instead of the arion. Don't forget to check out the spa at the Bretagne, it's amazing!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
The complex is under new ownership who plan to upgrade the area & properties. Does anybody have recent experiences from either Arion or Westin ? I'm curious if the bidding process & securing future has had any effect on the properties / staff. I do realize it's not the high season in Athens but I'm under the impression that these properties get a fair amount of business year-round.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Astir Palace Hotel Complex in Greece with L.C., Westin [Master Thread]

5 night stay on points at Arion (booked before the cat upgrade). Again upgraded to suite on 4th floor. The hotel has quite a few suites and I am 4/4 for upgrades here (no SNAs).

It's a gorgeous time of year, very quiet still but lovely weather. Just sea and pool still chilly.

Breakfast benefit (Plat amenity) is excellent with no limitations and good service/spread. Lounge service just started for the season, while it's not extensive it's still a nice to have and an amazing view from the balconies. Spa entrance is free for Plat/suite guests.

We had dinner at Matsuhisa one night, it's a nice place but service was odd. We preferred eating in one of the many decent, inexpensive, and very friendly eateries in Vouliagmeni town (15min walk, 5min car).

We rented a car, it's convenient to/from town center, and no more than the cab from the airport for a few days. It also enables a trip to Cap Sunion, for example.

Took a quick walk to the Aphrodite which eventually will become the W. No signs of any work having started.

Overall what a wonderful place.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the arion is about $150 a night more than the westin....for people who have stayed at both properties, is it worth spending than much a night (for 3 or 4 nights) to stay at the arion over the westin????
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:32 am

I would say no. Westin has nice all sea-view rooms, just the chances for a suite may be lower. You can pretty much use the resort facilities from both hotels anyway. If it's marginal (<50) I would choose the Arion but not for 150 more.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by banzani
I would say no. Westin has nice all sea-view rooms, just the chances for a suite may be lower. You can pretty much use the resort facilities from both hotels anyway. If it's marginal (<50) I would choose the Arion but not for 150 more.
thanks....i'll be using suite nights so hopefully should get the suite upgrade....
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:57 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keyser
the arion is about $150 a night more than the westin....for people who have stayed at both properties, is it worth spending than much a night (for 3 or 4 nights) to stay at the arion over the westin????
It depends. If you like luxury and want a exceptional experience then of the Astir.

The lounge shouldn't be a consideration. It's unstaffed, has beer, bad wine and some cheese, however the suites (we didn't need SNAs) are stunning. The property is steeped in history and when we were there in August there we never saw more than a few couples by the beach or pool and certainly no children.

The property like many St Regis and Luxury Collection properties pre upgrades in advance so you will know if you get a suite a few days in advance at least.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Now that the complex has been sold, rumor has it that it's shutting down(both Arion and Westin) in the fall and reopening in two years, possibly as a Four Seasons. Sad to see these properties leaving spg.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:06 pm

Can you elaborate ? Afaik the sale happened in Dec last year.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Now that the complex has been sold, rumor has it that it's shutting down(both Arion and Westin) in the fall and reopening in two years, possibly as a Four Seasons. Sad to see these properties leaving spg.
Indeed very sad if this is true. One of my favorite properties in Europe.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Perhaps still SPG?

Originally Posted by justforfun
This was the property that induced me to join SPG. I was focused on Hyatt and Fairmont but the property was amazing and still my favorite SPG property. The last time there (Sep 2012) my Plat upgrade was to the beach-level Superior Grand Deluxe room with private patio (it was otherwise sold out); we often like having direct access to beach/pool amenities and this was wonderful. Also, the breakfast buffet was among the biggest and nicest I've seen outside of Las Vegas.

I checked the flexible dates calendar on SPG.com and it looks like the last bookable night is Oct 20th 2014, but it is bookable again starting Jan 1st 2016 so perhaps it is staying in the SPG fold after all. I thought the property was in very nice shape in so I'm interested to see what they will do with over a year to work on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.