Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2005, 5:44 pm

Recently the taxi was E65 plus tip.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sawsmanfc
We don't expect to spend a lot of time in the hotel, so don't need anything fancy.
Thank you in advance,
If this is your expectation of this hotel than you are likely to not be disappointed.

Location to train station is good but there is not much around it and it is by no means plush.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
Four Points Central Munich [Master Thread]

I'm a Platinum member and thinking about booking the Four Points in Munich for a weekend in March. Some of the discount travel sites like Octopus have the rooms for about 40% less than on the SPG website.

IF I book through a non-SPG website, do you think I'd still get upgraded, or are all bets off if you don't book through their site (I've always used it)?

I know I won't get points, but I'd hope I'd still get an upgrade...

any opinions?

I'm also Hilton Diamond I wonder if it's the same way as them, again, all this time I've only booked through their websites.

Thanks!

Jim
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Why wouldn't you get points ? I have booked many hotels through travel agents (i.e. Amex) and have always received my points.

The only upgrades I have ever received at German Four Points (as Plat) were a bottle of wine from the "starwood wine collection" or whatever they called it. The bottle had a plastic cork...

The two Hilton hotels in MUC (Park Hilton & City Hilton) are probably much nicer hotels than the Four Points, but probably also more expensive.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:01 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The two Four Points, especially the Olympia Park which is above a multi-level parking lot, are definitely subpar.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:31 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
I think the FP has no air conditioning - this kept me from booking it in May.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The FOUR POINTS near the city centre is a very modest property and there is not much to be upgraded to as a Plat. Don't expect much more than a good basic room and standard European buffet breakfast. Also, you are not likely to get SPG points when booking through any discount travel sites, only by using the SPG sites or major TAs that work directly with Starwood and may have their own acceptable (to Starwood) rate deals.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
My mercifully short experience with both properties is that the Olympia Park property is even more modest than the city centre one. As all the other hotels were fully booked for a number of fairs, I also had to pay 150 euros for each and they are probably worth half that price.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
It is a basic hotel with no electrical ventilation system - there are some louvers above the windows to the outside. I was there last June, when it was hot in the city, and even keeping the terrace door open (don’t remember if they all have this, but I think so) was not enough to keep me comfortable, but I’m an AC fan, so to write. However, it is centrally located. In March, I could deal with it given the cost. Don’t think they had wireless internet at that time, but maybe that’s changed, or I’m wrong.

Given the merger with Le Meridien, you might want to check what their rates are and if your trip is after the merge. If I remember right, they were a little closer to the old center of town, right across from the central train station.

The other Sheratons are further out (I moved to one of these returning to Munich), but easy access by subway train. It had all the AC I craved, but at a higher cost.

Last edited by From NYC; Jan 29, 2006 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
Thanks everyone... this is very helpful.

Thank you for all your responses, this is quite helpful. I've been too afraid to book through another site because I -thoguht- that I would not get points unless I booked directly with the hotel's resv system.... it'd be nice to find out which online systems might still let me get points... I'll do some research.

Thanks
Jim
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Beware: Four Points Munich breakfast added to room rate

I stayed at the Four Points at Olympia Park in Munich. I booked the room at 105 Euros. When I checked in, the room rate became 120 Euros. I didn't remember the rate at that moment, so I didn't question the charge. I asked if the breakfast was comp for platinum. The lady no. I had the breakfast (very mediocre) the next morning and fully expected to pay extra for it at checkout. But no, it's already added to the room rate at checkin. It was 120 Euros including the breakfast. I was surprised!

At Four Points Central, the same thing happened. The charge was added to my room rate. Basically they switched my rate from no breakfast to breakfast included without telling me. I told them the breakfast is medicore and I didn't want to pay 15 Euros for it. I critized them for adding the charge to the bill. The lady said their system does this automatically and if the guest doesn't want the breakfast, he/she must request that charge to be removed. She was happy to remove the charge for me. But for me, I felt that the hotel should not do this. It is not honest, especially they don't always tell the guests.

In any case, this will be my last time staying at either location. The property, the room, and the food are all medicore. And I totally think that they are wrong to add charge to the bill without asking.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
FYI, as a Plat I stayed one night at the 4P Munchen last year. They gave me one of the smallest rooms I've ever seen-- with one SINGLE bed overlooking a junk yard. When I complained, they told me sorry, but as I had reserved a single that's all they would give me, as I was travelling solo. They went on to say they needed the doubles for 2 or more people. The hotel is located right across from the train station--but at the back of the station, so you'll have to walk through it to get to the main part of town. Also at the time I was there, there was a large construction site just between the 4P & the trainstation. And be careful, the area appears to be a bit dicey.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:38 am

Definitely Hilton. Unless you're staying during Octoberfest or going to the EU patent office, there's no benefit location-wise to staying at 4points central. 4points is a 15-20 minute walk from the train station away from the town center. Also, using points as a gold at the 4 points central does not entitle you to free breakfast (at least that's what we were told two weeks ago).
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I stayed a few nights at the Four Points by Sheraton Central Station this past week. Let me tell you that I believe the property is a bit dumpy.

First, the positives:

1.) Was able to book with a day's notice and get 7000 SPG points/night redemption in lieu of 139EU room rate.
2.) The staff was friendly and helpful

Now, the negatives:

1.) The web site area map makes it look a little closer to Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) than it really is. I walked after arriving by the S-Bahn from Munich Airport. By the time I realized it was further than I thought, I was almost there. But if you arrive by train or S-Bahn, get a cab or connect to the U5 line and take it to Theresienwiese. Then the hotel is just around the corner.

2.) As a Gold, I typically expect nothing. I arrived and was informed I was "upgraded" to a superior room (even though that's what my confirmed reservation said). They gave me a room on the 3rd floor. There are 5 floors, and the 5th one is marked "SPG Floor". I can only assume that it was filled with SPG guests (who probably booked with more than a day's notice)

3.) The carpeting in the hallway and room was deplorable. I mean, REALLY bad. Stains, wrinkles, etc. It had to be at least 25 years old. The walls were pretty ratty too. This is not something I would ever have expected to see at any Starwood.

4.) The room is a bit small, even for European standards. I looked at the room map on the back of the door and it turns out the very next room over appeared to be larger. But I didn't raise any fuss. I got the room I booked.

5.) There is no air conditioning. I am well aware that much of Europe doesn't have A/C. But I've stayed at many corporate chain properties and always had A/C. Of course this past week was rather hot and humid in Munich. There is a fan in the room to ease the pain.

I probably wouldn't stay there again based on my collective negative impressions. I also moved to the Le Meridien for my last night in Munich on a cash and points rate of 4000 SPG + $60USD. What a difference (and A/C in the rooms, to boot!). Too bad the LM wasn't available for my entire stay (since I did initially try to book that).
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PT, SPG Gold, Amex PT
I agree with PHL on the shabbiness of the Central FP. I did not bother checking out other *wood properties this trip, but I doubt I would go that far down market unless price were the only consideration. It's not next to transport (U5 Theresienweise is close, but not with luggage), and it's just run-down.

I had a similar situation with breakfast: booked a room for Eu. 81, was charged 96, then informed that the Eu 15 was for breakfast, which I had understood was complimentary. I would have just as easily ordered my standard double espresso at a local cafe en route to my meetings for lots less.

For those needing handicapped assistance, well, this FP was not good even for European standards. There are two elevators, but only one gets you to the lobby without stairs. Neither gets you to the breakfast room (definitely not a "restaurant") without stairs.

All in, I've had much better FP experiences. I will try a different *wood property next time in Munich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.