Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I'm going to be in MUC for one night next week. Was planning to stay at the 4pts central (best rate euro 66) as opposed to arabella grand at euro 110. I recently stayed at the 4pts in koln central. could i expect this muc 4pts to be quite similar to that...
Well, it isn't quite as nice (IMHO) as the Four Points in Cologne. The rooms seem to be a bit smaller, and the restaurant doesn't begin to compare with the one in Cologne.

also, i have some friends who are booked for the same night at the 'Hilton Munich City' on Rosenheimer Strasse 15. So ideally I would like to stay in the starwood property that is closest to this hotel, and preferable within walking distance. Could any of the locals please guide on the approx distances between this hotel and the nearest *woods.
Unless you *really* like to walk, it's not within walking distance of the Hilton Munich City. We're talking miles (kilometers)!

However, the Munich City is on top of an S-Bahn stop (Rosenheimer Platz), and the Munich Central Four Points is a short walk to an U-Bahn stop that takes you in one stop to the Hauptbahnhof where you can change to the S-Bahn. (There really aren't any Starwood properties physically near the Hilton Munich City.)
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:43 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks Counsellor. ^ ^
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

cheers
AJ
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor
However, the Munich City is on top of an S-Bahn stop (Rosenheimer Platz), and the Munich Central Four Points is a short walk to an U-Bahn stop that takes you in one stop to the Hauptbahnhof where you can change to the S-Bahn. (There really aren't any Starwood properties physically near the Hilton Munich City.)
Okay, a couple more questions about this:

1. From the airport to get to the Four points central is there a direct train or would the LH Bus be easier. For the train, what is the name of the station closest to this hotel where I should get off.

2. Similarly is there a direct train for the Hilton City S-Bahn stop (Rosenheimer Platz) from the airport.
And what's the difference between the S-bahn and the U-bahn, and do both trains go to the airport.

3. Finally, does someone have an idea of the approx cost of taking a cab:
a.) From the airport to the Hilton City
b.) From the airport to the Four Points
c.) Between the Hilton and the Four Points
d.) Between the main hauptbahnof (LH Bus dropoff point) and the Four Points

For the LH Airport bus, where should one buy tickets, and is there any special fare etc for Senators/Business pax etc. And do we get any miles for this...

thanks a heap,
AJ
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:42 am

Okay, a couple more questions about this:

1. From the airport to get to the Four points central is there a direct train or would the LH Bus be easier. For the train, what is the name of the station closest to this hotel where I should get off.
There is no direct "train" from the Airport to the Four Points Central (hereinafter "4PC"). Nor does the LH bus go there - it terminates at the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and has an intermediate stop near a couple Marriotts, but none near either of the Four Points.

You're going to have to change rail at least once to get from the airport to the 4PC. Best place to do it while minimizing the possibility of getting lost is at the stop called "Karlsplatz (Stachus)" which is the stop just before you get to the Hauptbahnhof. Here's what you want to do:

1. Get a ticket from the Airport to central Munich. Take the S8 from the airport. When you get to Marienplatz, prepare to disembark. The next stop will be "Karlsplatz (Stachus)". (If you get to the Hauptbahnhof, you've gone one stop too far.)

2. Get off of the S8 train at Karlsplatz (Stachus) and look for signs to "U4/U5". I don't remember right now, but I think you have to go up some stairs/escalator. When you find the platform for U4 and U5 get on the side going toward "Laimer Platz/Heimeranplatz". Both U4 and U5 are going the same way as far as you are concerned, so take the first one going in that direction.

3. You will stay on the U-bahn for two stops. The first stop is Hauptbahnhof. Stay on the train. The next stop is "Theresienwiese" (this is the place the Oktoberfest is held). Get off there.

4. Go out the exit toward the Theresienwiese (not the one toward St. Paul's) and follow the Bavaria Ring street (tending uphill) to Martin Greif Str. (about one block) then follow Martin Greif one block to the main street that intersects it, namely Schwanthalerstrasse. Turn left onto Schwanthaler and continue to the top of the hill, and keep walking about another 150 feet. The 4PC will be off to your left.

NOTE: Another way to do this is to take the S8 into the Hauptbahnhof, get off there, and go to the surface, catch a cab to the 4PC (shouldn't be much). That saves walking from the U-bahn stop uphill to the hotel. Once you're at the hotel, the folks at the desk can give you a city map showing the stops and give you directions to the Theresienwiese U-bahn stop. I'd recommend doing it this way.

2. Similarly is there a direct train for the Hilton City S-Bahn stop (Rosenheimer Platz) from the airport.
Yes. It is the S8. Rosenheimer Platz is a stop on the S8 before you get to the Marienplatz stop. You can get a map at the airport, or a very easy-to-read diagram is in the cars of the S-Bahn and U-Bahn. Reading backward (toward the Airport), the stops are Hauptbahnhof [i.e., the main train station]; Karlsplatz (Stachus), Marienplatz [the stop if you want to see the Glockenspiel], Isartor, Rosenheimer Platz [the Hilton City stop], Ostbahnhof [East train station], and then about 9 stops later you get to the airport.

And what's the difference between the S-bahn and the U-bahn, and do both trains go to the airport.
The S-Bahn network is what you might call vicinity commuter rail. It stretches out from the city quite a ways. The U-Bahn network is what you might call the city subway system (the "U" in "U-Bahn" stands for Underground), and limits itself to the city and close suburbs.

There are two S-Bahns (S1 and S8) that go from the center of the city to the airport. No U-Bahns go out that far, though. From the side of the city you'll be on, the S8 is the train you want to take.

3. Finally, does someone have an idea of the approx cost of taking a cab:
a.) From the airport to the Hilton City
b.) From the airport to the Four Points
c.) Between the Hilton and the Four Points
d.) Between the main hauptbahnhof (LH Bus dropoff point) and the Four Points

For the LH Airport bus, where should one buy tickets, and is there any special fare etc for Senators/Business pax etc. And do we get any miles for this...
I'll leave the questions on fares to be answered by a Münchner, as I really don't have current information on them.

You can buy the tickets for the LH bus on the bus. It stops (as I mentioned) at the Hauptbahnhof, then the Nordfriedhof (north cemetery), and then the Airport and returns the same way. No discounts for LH elite, and no miles, sorry.

Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by Counsellor; Jul 25, 2004 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:03 am

Thanks for all the help Counsellor. ^

Now some post stay comments:

I took the LH airport bus to the hauptbahnhof (Bought tickets on the bus). I knew the location of the 4pts was somewhat close to the dropoff, but since it was a really hot day, and I had a heavy carry-on I decided to take a cab. Or so I thought. The cabbie refused to go for such a short drive and told me to just walk it!

Anyways I started to walk. Got up on Schwanthalerstasse and turned right and started walking. IMHO, this area is somewhat dingy with lots of $ex clubs etc on that street. I then was accosted by a fellow who wanted me to help him inject something into him...

Anyways, I almost raced up the road until arriving to the hotel. The lady at check in was quite friendly and told me that a lot of their guests have problems getting cabs from the train station as the fare is under 4 euros.
She said there are no suites in the hotel. Got a large room on the third floor with two huge double beds. Tiny bathroom though. Also got a choice of platinum amenity at checkin: 5 euro minibar credit, fruit basket or local gift. I chose the local gift which, as dicussed on FT before, was the book on Munich beergardens (in German).
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
The 4 Points has NO air conditioning in the common areas or their guest rooms.

So if you are going in the summer you may want to consider this. I was there at the end of June and it was hot. They don't even have fans in the room. And since my room was on the backside there also wasn't a breeze. Maybe the street side people fared better.

While I know this is not uncommon in Europe, I think an American hotel chain should have a/c or at the very least highlight this fact on its website. Had I known that I would have gladly made reservations elsewhere. After the long flight from the US finding this out at the hotel upon check-in is not fun.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:40 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I'm staying at the 4 points central next week, Friday night before an early afternoon flight out of MUC. I've never driven into Munich before (coming from Regensburg). Is it difficult to find? What's the parking like? Anything interesting within walking distance? My internet searches found "Ryan's Muddy Boot" a few blocks away which sounds like an interesting pub.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:14 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Hi tev999,

I lived in this hotel for over a year, so I am quite familiar with it. The last time I was there was about 8 months ago.

The best reference points for the hotel are the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) or the Hackerbruecke. Do you know these?

If you are facing the train station to the left will be a street running parallal to the train tracks. Go up that street to the next major intersection, take a left and then take a right at the next traffic light. That is the Schwanthaler Strasse. Continue along. You will cross one major intersection and then land in a more residential area.

Parking in the street is difficult. However there is a parking garage. below the hotel which services the residential towers, the adjacent electronics store, Saturn and the hotel itself.

I only parked there once or twice but I think the daily rate was aroun 25 EUR.

Nearby the culinary and entertainment options are quite limited. The hotel bar is normally a bore except during Oktoberfest. There is a nice beer garden about 15 minutes from the hotel. You need to walk over the Hackerbruecke to the Augustiner Biergarten. The hotel is situated in a predominately Turkish neighborhood, so you will find almost exclusively Turkish fast food shops. One restaurant of note is on the street on the way to the Hackerbruecke in which the tram line runs. Turn left onto this street. On the left hand side you will find a Brauhaus. I think it is also from Augustiner.

I have never heard of Ryan's Muddy Boot.

Other than that the city center is about a 30 minute walk or a two to three stop ride on the underground. Here you will find all of the options.

Enjoy your stay in Munich!

Below are the driving directions from the spg.com website:

From East
Follow Highway Passau A94 in the direction of Garmisch/Lindau. Continue on the Mittlerer Rng to the Lindau exit. Take the Lindau Exit and turn left in the direction of Stadtmitte. Proceed until you reach Martin Greif Strasse. At the traffic light turn right and the hotel is approximately 100 meters on the left hand side.

From North
Take Highway A9 to Muenchen-Schwabnig. Continue on the Mittlerer Ring west toward Lindau. Take the Lindau Exit and turn left in the direction of Stadtmitte. Proceed until you reach Martin Greif Strasse. At the traffic light turn right and the hotel is approximately 100 meters on the left hand side.

From West
Take Highway A96 towards the airport. Follow Mittlerer Ring into the tunnel and turn right towards Stadtmitte. Proceed until you reach Martin-Greif-Str. At the traffic light turn right and the hotel is approximately 100 meters on the left hand side.

From South
Follow Highway A95/A8 until the highway ends. Continue on the Mittlerer Ring west to Lindau. Pass the Lindau Exit into the tunnell and turn right in the direction of Stadtmitte. Proceed until you reach Martin Greif Strasse. At the traffic light turn right and the hotel is approximately 100 meters on the left hand side.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by tev9999
I'm staying at the 4 points central next week, Friday night before an early afternoon flight out of MUC. I've never driven into Munich before (coming from Regensburg). Is it difficult to find? What's the parking like? Anything interesting within walking distance? My internet searches found "Ryan's Muddy Boot" a few blocks away which sounds like an interesting pub.
Heh, I just did this last Saturday, came from R'burg too.

Anyway if you have an early flight I would not stay in town and would instead find a hotel near the airport (I stayed at the Marriott in Freising, 9EU flat taxi fare to MUC) since it is so far from the city. of course Freising is dull as dirt so if you're wanting to make a night of it and can handle getting up at 4am then go to the city
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've stayed at the 4 PTS Central a number of times(although I stay at the Le Meridien all the time now) and I found it less of a hassle to just take the S8 from the airport to Hackerbrucke. It's probably not much more of a walk than from the Theriesenwiese taking into account all the walking connecting to the U bahn involved especially on the return journey to the airport. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I've stayed at the 4 PTS Central a number of times(although I stay at the Le Meridien all the time now) and I found it less of a hassle to just take the S8 from the airport to Hackerbrucke. It's probably not much more of a walk than from the Theriesenwiese taking into account all the walking connecting to the U bahn involved especially on the return journey to the airport. Just my 2 cents worth.
That way works, too.

My problem is that when I get off of the S-bahn at Hackerbrücke, I turn to the right automatically and two blocks later (turning to the right again when I get to the end of the bridge and cross the street) find myself at the Augustiner Biergarten. I don't know why that keeps happening.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Counsellor
That way works, too.

My problem is that when I get off of the S-bahn at Hackerbrücke, I turn to the right automatically and two blocks later (turning to the right again when I get to the end of the bridge and cross the street) find myself at the Augustiner Biergarten. I don't know why that keeps happening.
I love that biergarten! Have to admit as soon as I've checked into the hotel it's back over the bridge for me ASAP.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Well I didn't have any problems finding the hotel - navigation system in the rental car helped to keep me on track. The desk clerk let me know that parking on the street was free, if I could find a spot - couldn't. €15 to park in the garage and they can bill it to your room. Made the walk into the city center and it was around 30 minutes. Took a taxi back for about €8 - too long of a walk after a few Augistiner's at Killian's pub. No air didn't bother me after I had gotten used to it at other hotels during the week, had also cooled off a bit. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:37 pm

Four Points Central Munich [Master Thread]

Looking to possibly stay @ 4 Points Munich, Germany with points next spring with wife. 2 nites consecutive (with day trip to Salzburg in between), and then another nite 3 or 4 days later.
Anyone have thoughts on the property? Location, distance and approx. taxi fares to airport and train station? Distance from center of town?
Any advice or experience with this property will be much appreciated. Any special advice as to special requests, such as room location, etc.? We don't expect to spend a lot of time in the hotel, so don't need anything fancy.
Thank you in advance,
Old Aug 21, 2005, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sawsmanfc
Looking to possibly stay @ 4 Points Munich, Germany with points next spring with wife. 2 nites consecutive (with day trip to Salzburg in between), and then another nite 3 or 4 days later.
Anyone have thoughts on the property? Location, distance and approx. taxi fares to airport and train station? Distance from center of town?
Any advice or experience with this property will be much appreciated. Any special advice as to special requests, such as room location, etc.? We don't expect to spend a lot of time in the hotel, so don't need anything fancy.
Thank you in advance,
It's directly west of the city center, longish walking distance. There's a subway (U-Bahn) stop, Theresienwiese (lines U4 and U5), about 3-4 blocks southeast of the hotel which will take you to the city center in 2 stops.

The main train station (Hauptbahnhof) is maybe a mile east of the hotel. It's only one S-Bahn stop away.

The airport is north of city center. There are two city trains (S-Bahn lines S1 and S8) that take you from there to city center in about 40 minutes. They kind of loop around the west and east to reach the city center. You can buy tickets (adult - EUR 8.80) at the terminal. To get to the hotel, you have to get off at the Hauptbahnhof stop and go down one level to the U4/U5 lines, take that west to Theresienwiese and then walk north to the hotel. That can be a hassle if you have a lot of luggage. But you could take a taxi from the Hauptbahnhof, of course.

Here's a link on airport transportation. It says about 60 Euros for a taxi from the airport to city center.

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKm...sportation.htm

The hotel is nothing fancy, but the rooms are OK. There's nothing special to look at through the windows, just other buildings. I was upgraded and got a room with a small balcony. There's a fairground about 1-2 blocks south, and sometimes there's stuff going on there. I found the hotel entirely adequate for my needs. I've stayed there three times.

Here's a link on Munich itself:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/munich.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.