Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Does anyone know what happens with the hotel? Closed? New chain?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:28 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by Medved
It's sad that they are leaving. Yes, it was older, on outskirts but Cat 2, had free shuttle to the centre, nice grouds and cheap nice restaraunt. Free abundant parking too. Nice base to drive around in Tuscany -- while staying there we also went to Pisa, Bologna, Sienna and Verona. Now we are stuck with Cat 6 & 7 in Florence. One needs a million of points to do what we did in 2009 for almost 4 weeks in Italy (between Cat 2 to 5). Both Venice and Florence are Cat 6 & 7 only.
++1
It seems like SPG is getting greedy only interested in CAT 6/7 hotels and not providing a wide coverage.
Yes its hard to do biz in Italy. These owners can be difficult. Yes, these hotels often fall short of US expectations from those familiar with new suburban buildings in the USA. But with Genoa, Bologna, and Florence gone SPG actually looses more than its already small footprint in Italy and Europe; it looses customers who need locations everywhere they travel too. Why should I worry about chain elite status if there are so few chain hotels, and they are steeply overpriced compared to the local offerings?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:28 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Does anyone know what happens with the hotel? Closed? New chain?
Still open, lots of their biz is tour buses so that will go on. They also own several large non chain hotels in Rome and the Sheraton Bologna.

As a guest this is quite a surprise move for everyone, I wonder if spg kicked them out?
It is going to make doing biz in Northern Italy that much harder.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by frank_10b
As a guest this is quite a surprise move for everyone, I wonder if spg kicked them out?
Good question, but in general Starwood followed the IHG example and demanded high investments in order to keep the Sheraton brand. IHG was really harsh during the last couple of years, when it came to brand standards at Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza.

We all know that Firenze was closer to a two star property and Genoa had nothing to write home about. I cannot comment on the property in Bari, but the Sheraton Bologna Airport is solid, aside from their breakfast and gym.

So either the owner was not willing to invest to keep the Sheraton brand or another company offered better conditions, which happenend in Germany in the last couple of years, predominantly in Cologne.

AFAIR, the Westin Rotterdam continues to operate as an independant hotel after the lease was up.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Still open, lots of their biz is tour buses so that will go on. They also own several large non chain hotels in Rome and the Sheraton Bologna.

Do you know what the hotel's new name is? Can't find anything online, everything (TripAdvisor, etc) still lists it as Sheraton.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Do you know what the hotel's new name is? Can't find anything online, everything (TripAdvisor, etc) still lists it as Sheraton.
On my route I saw the last weeks twice from the highway: It is still named SHERATON HOTEL...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
On my route I saw the last weeks twice from the highway: It is still named SHERATON HOTEL...
It seems that this hotel is still operating under the Sheraton name, but without the permission of Starwood, as it is not listed on spg.com. Both this hotel and the one in Bologna are listed on www.sheraton.it, which is an outdated website of the owner I guess. The Sheraton Bologna on the other hand has been changed into the "Airport Palace hotel".
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mckroes
It seems that this hotel is still operating under the Sheraton name, but without the permission of Starwood, as it is not listed on spg.com. Both this hotel and the one in Bologna are listed on www.sheraton.it, which is an outdated website of the owner I guess. The Sheraton Bologna on the other hand has been changed into the "Airport Palace hotel".
Whereever or whatever the palace is / was or will be...
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Whereever or whatever the palace is / was or will be...
The Sheraton Firenze was a dumb and looked like some 1970's NATO outpost, the Sheraton Bologna Airport had a lot of issues, but also had a lot of great rooms, pretty much comparable to the more upscale rooms you find at German Westin properties. ^

New and high quality leather chairs, spacious bathrooms incl. hot tubs and rain showers. ^
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
The Sheraton Firenze was a dumb and looked like some 1970's NATO outpost, the Sheraton Bologna Airport had a lot of issues, but also had a lot of great rooms, pretty much comparable to the more upscale rooms you find at German Westin properties. ^

New and high quality leather chairs, spacious bathrooms incl. hot tubs and rain showers. ^
The things I remember about Bologna are:

Black animals in the bathroom, brown water, shower in the bathtube, dark room, dust, dirt and lousy breakfast! Nice Palace...

Even if I know most or all german and italian Westin's I would not even one second think about comparing.

BTW: some / most airforce shelters have a better view!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.