Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of July 2023, breakfast for Elites is in the restaurant (no welcome gift choice required), and evening cocktails are in the 3rd floor lounge. The lounge opens at 9 AM for beverage service.

Front Office e-mail: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
So I just called the Sheraton since I'm currently at the LM and they're sold out (yeah, imagine that!) so I need a room for this Thursday.
Sheraton has StarPicks for only S$215++, so I called and got some info about the new lounge.
Open to Platinum members and those who pay extra only, it offers free Continental Breakfast, evening cocktails, and 30 minutes of free internet (I think using their terminals).
So... quick question: If you had a choice of this place at S$215++ or the St. Regis, which seems to treat Plats well--which is S$400++ for the same night, which would you choose????
I'm not really sure. I've rarely read any raves for the Sheraton, and the St. Regis is a Category 6... but it's about US$150/night more. I'll probably take the Sheraton now that the Club is open... unless someone here can convince me otherwise!
Thanks in Advance!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by kyushuman
... I'm not really sure. I've rarely read any raves for the Sheraton, and the St. Regis is a Category 6... but it's about US$150/night more. I'll probably take the Sheraton now that the Club is open... unless someone here can convince me otherwise!...
Go to the Sheraton and save the $150 so we can hear your reviews about the new lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Access to lounge is via room key which opens up sliding doors. Lounge is bigger than most and decorated in dark, shiny, sophisticated style with lots of black chairs and walls. SL II'S photos make it look smaller than it is. I'm no decorator, but it's nice. There is a view of Scotts Rd from the window seats, but it's not very exciting since we are on the 3rd floor and well, it's Scotts Rd.

The 5.30-7.30pm session has some fancy snacks, cheese and the usual wines and alcoholic drinks, plus juices and fizzy stuff. There are two new computers, and the lounge is about half full of people at 7pm. Seem to be about four staff who are attentive and helpful.

This is about my 20th stay here in last 10 years. I am not a huge fan of the place and location, and the fact that it didn't have a lounge, like many other hotels in Singapore, annoyed me. Having the lounge definitely makes it more of an option for me.

For only the second time here I have been upgraded to a 2-room suite, probably because I am only staying one night. Usually it's an "upgrade" to a pool room on the 5th floor which is basically the same as a normal room.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
kyushuman,

You should stay at the Sheraton, esp. at half the price of the St. Regis!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kevino
kyushuman,

You should stay at the Sheraton, esp. at half the price of the St. Regis!
Yes, I did book the Sheraton, at the S$215 rate. You know, the only reason I figured out that rate was because it was showing when I did a general Singapore rate search, but then when you choose the Sheraton it didn't show up. You have go to via the StarPicks page. Even the Plat Concierge said the lowest rate was S$350. So I'm guessing not many people are using this rate.

Anyway, I did drive by the St.. Regis, and it sure looks nice. But I can use the extra $$ on something fun in S'pore, and if you've been here before, you know there's plenty to do here--shopping, eating, etc...
Thanks to all for the advice, and I'll also report on the lounge later.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:15 pm
In memoriam

The Starpicks rate now shows when I do a reservations search on the Sheraton SIN page.
1 King Deluxe Non-smoking, 30 Sqm, High-speed Internet For A Fee, Free Access To Fitness Center, Large Work Area Starpicks Rate Limited Offer - Book By End Of Day Friday Fully Prepaid/non-refundable/non-changeable SGD 215.00
Maybe someone saw your post and fixed it. S$215 is a reasonable rate for this hotel. Looking forward to your lounge report.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jul 23, 2008 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:13 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Thanks for the review zero savings. When you read post after your breakfast today please let us know about it.
Breakfast is a modest affair with a small hot selection, cereal, fruit, pastries etc. In no way does it compare to the extensive Sheraton breakfast that they offer just two floors below (but which you pay for). It's also less than other similar Starwood lounges like the SOTP in Sydney, the Imperial in KL or even the Singapore LM.

It not inadequate by any means and well presented, however the lounge has only been open for a few days so early judgments may be premature.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:26 am

Based on comments here, I think I did VERY well... I just checked in a 3:15pm, moving from a horrific stay at the Hilton SIngapore (tons of hair in bathroom, even after they came back to clean it again(!)--and then left the towel used to clean the hairs on the countertop-- internet jack out of order in room, key cards inoperable 3x in 20 hours, wake up calls messed up, etc))
Upon check-in, I was told about the Club Lounge, and then brought to my room... actually, 2 Rooms, A Suite, with its own name, called "The Dublin", on the 19th Floor. I think it's in the Towers section, but actually it doesn't matter--it's gorgeous.
From what I've read here, upgrades are often negligible here at the ST. Now I'm off to the gym before evening cocktails....
Thanks for the advice to stay here!
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Is this property near any decent hawker centers? I just cancelled my reservation at the LM and am trying to do a little last minute research.

Also, I'm guessing a taxi wouldn't be too much from Changi, right?

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:41 pm
In memoriam

The Newton Hawker Center is a 5-10 minute walk away -- open 24/7. Definitely not one of the best or cheapest, but very convenient to the Sheraton.

Taxi fare from Changi to/from the Sheraton is about S$16-28 depending on direction, time of day and day of week. Be aware that many SIN taxi drivers will add extra charges to the meter for foreigners when heading to/from a hotel, when you are not looking. They think you do not know the rates. After collecting your bags but before paying ask for a printed receipt. If the driver offers a hand written one saying "The printer is broken" you know he is ripping you off. Get the driver's name and license plate from the ID card posted on the dash. If heading to the hotel ask them to intervene. If heading to airport tell the driver you are going to get the police. The airport police have no jurisdiction but the drivers do not seem to know this. The driver will then try to negotiate a lower fare. Say no, you are going to get the police. He will leave and you will pay nothing. If going to a hotel get them to intervene. Also if you get a white taxi from the standard taxi area make sure you are charged the standard rate.

Been there, done that so many times.

Here is the basic fare structure and additional charges. It is a little complex and that is why it is easy for them to take advantage of you. Print out a current copy to take with you. Normal additional charges include rides originating at the airport, rush hour and midnight surcharges. In general SIN people are very honest. It is only cab drivers that I have had repeated problems with.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Dec 2, 2008 at 9:36 pm
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the good info, surpringly the taxi driver did not try to rip us off and the ride was a very reasonable SGD 18 or so.

The lounge here is quite nice, better than expected. They're calling it the Towers Lounge now and it does have hot food as well as a nice assortment of drinks. Excellent service as well.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Have just finished a 5 night stay here.Due to the falling pacific peso($A) i switched from a hilton booking as this was the lowest priced of SPG and Hilton properties.Will also now let me get the bonus for 20 nights in the current promo.Certainly from the posts in this forum was not expecting much.
At check in we were told we were upgraded to a "towers" room poolside but that it was a smoking room.Had a look and no smell so took it as this time was for pure relaxation.You get a little sheet noting 7 Platinum benefits.The last 6 merely state the benefits of lounge access which is benefit 1.
Now the lounge is nice.Free access to their computers-otherwise the price is high $S30 a day.The food for breakfast and evening is good but limited.Always put out in small amounts and sometimes quite a wait to have it replenished.Staff generally are very good.I enjoyed the stay.
However in another life when I was SCI gold i stayed at this hotel 7-8 times-the last in the late 80's.Then the whole hotel was The Towers and everyone got breakfast in the restaurant(much better than the lounge),laundry,managers reception and butler service.The Towers concept rooms now are basically no different just what is thought more desirable in position.I really do think this is nickel and diming the T & Cs.However I was aware of the situation so wasnt disappointed.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:53 am

Try the St Regis

I used to stay here when in Singapore but the St Regis is sublime and, IMO, well worth the extra. They give fabulous upgrades and nothing is a problem.
I am sure they have taken some business from the Sheraton.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:44 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by aussiechris
I used to stay here when in Singapore but the St Regis is sublime and, IMO, well worth the extra. They give fabulous upgrades and nothing is a problem.
I am sure they have taken some business from the Sheraton.
Yes but not $S400 more a night for 5 nights when the $S is worth more than the $A.The Sheraton was quiet and I am sure that is why I could get a much better rate there.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and was upgraded to a Terrace Room on level 5 (the pool level). It was nice of them to upgrade me - I had asked for this as I passed the 50 nights mark during my stay. But to be honest, the room did not seem nearly so nice as the one I had on my last stay (a regular room on a high floor). The room comes with a large terrace which no one would use right now as they are doing lots of construction work just across the road from the terrace. So, it's dusty and noisy outside. The lower floor also meant traffic noise was more of an issue - but not a big one, thankfully, when curtains were closed. Next time I'll pass on the terrace room and opt for a normal room.

The hotel is a short walk (5 mins) to the nearest underground station (Newton) and I found this the easiest way to get to Orchard Road (1 stop) for a shop and a mooch around. The main restaurant is a bit soul-less but the bar next door has comfy chairs, cold beer and nice bar snacks. The lounge singer is only fairly bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.