Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Element Treated as Lower Tier?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Why is Element Treated as Lower Tier?

I'll admit, I have limited experience with Element, other than Boston. I really like the Element there (though I more frequently stay at the Westin down the block) -- it's in the seaport area, and its very modern.

I get it, it's Boston -- it's not inexpensive. But when I look at the amenities, the cost, etc. it just doesn't compute for me that all of the SPG perks are halved ala Four Points. I've never paid less than $225 at the Element, and I often pay over $300/night, so it seems REALLY PETTY to halve the Platinum Arrival Gift points, the Green Choice points, etc.

I realize that it's a tiny amount of points, so it's not the points. Rather it seems really odd that the system seems to make (at least this) Element hotel into a second class brand, when there are many people who like the concept of a green hotel, etc.

Element might be structured more like a budget hotel in other brands (free breakfast, go green, etc.) but it's more like an extended stay Westin (even moreso in my opinion than an Aloft is a baby-W).

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like to see Aloft also treated on par, but I'll let someone else voice their opinion on that as I've only stayed at a couple of them...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I agree. From my experience, really only Four Points should be considered a lower brand. Alofts are actually not bad, haven't stayed in an Element yet. And I wish Design Hotels included breakfast, only reason I discount them a bit when looking at hotels in an area.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I would point out that it's a matter of having consistency in a less than consistent group. The Elements I've stayed in were much cheaper (FRA and MIA,) and not very similar in design. So, I would expect them to offer less. They were fine though. Doubt I'd spend much for them in a city center like BOS, NYC, or Chicago though.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by High Technology
I'll admit, I have limited experience with Element, other than Boston. I really like the Element there (though I more frequently stay at the Westin down the block) -- it's in the seaport area, and its very modern.

I get it, it's Boston -- it's not inexpensive. But when I look at the amenities, the cost, etc. it just doesn't compute for me that all of the SPG perks are halved ala Four Points. I've never paid less than $225 at the Element, and I often pay over $300/night, so it seems REALLY PETTY to halve the Platinum Arrival Gift points, the Green Choice points, etc.

I realize that it's a tiny amount of points, so it's not the points. Rather it seems really odd that the system seems to make (at least this) Element hotel into a second class brand, when there are many people who like the concept of a green hotel, etc.

Element might be structured more like a budget hotel in other brands (free breakfast, go green, etc.) but it's more like an extended stay Westin (even moreso in my opinion than an Aloft is a baby-W).

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like to see Aloft also treated on par, but I'll let someone else voice their opinion on that as I've only stayed at a couple of them...
I think of them as a budget, extended stay property. Hence the "by Wetstin". They are cookie cutter boxes, for those that can't afford or don't want a full service Westin.
I just don't understand Element. What is it?
The Design and Upkeep of Element Hotels

If SPG feels that the Four Points, Aloft & Element properties are only worth X, then it is what it is. We have choices.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
But when I look at the amenities, the cost, etc. it just doesn't compute for me that all of the SPG perks are halved ala Four Points.
It can be complex to understand a hotel's value proposition around price, brand standard amenities, and elite benefits. I like element but I can understand that others won't.

Take a look at Marriott Rewards. If you can't handle tiered points earnings and amenities by hotel brand you will be driven crazy at Marriott.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...i#Arrival_gift

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...ranteed_lounge

Like KENNECTED says, that's the way they do it. We can accept it or move.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

I like Aloft, but I really like Element...I have also stayed at all those Seaport properties. I actually didn't like my stay at that Westin a few weeks ago - too big (attached to the Convention Center), indifferent service, beyond overpriced Starbucks in the lobby ($10 for drip coffee + yogurt), rooms for a newish build Westin are nothing special.

Main issue is that most Elements aren't in city centers...they are typically more airport/suburban locations, with prices (and SPG rewards) that reflect it. Boston is an insane hotel market the past few years given all the growth in the city, and while expensive, the Element/Aloft there can often be a "deal" at only $250-$300/night.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I like Aloft, but I really like Element...I have also stayed at all those Seaport properties. I actually didn't like my stay at that Westin a few weeks ago - too big (attached to the Convention Center), indifferent service, beyond overpriced Starbucks in the lobby ($10 for drip coffee + yogurt), rooms for a newish build Westin are nothing special.

Main issue is that most Elements aren't in city centers...they are typically more airport/suburban locations, with prices (and SPG rewards) that reflect it. Boston is an insane hotel market the past few years given all the growth in the city, and while expensive, the Element/Aloft there can often be a "deal" at only $250-$300/night.
I can't stand Four Points but my one stay at Aloft was fine (except the breakfast, truly horrid but that might have just been that particular location). Interested in trying an Element sometime but haven't seen one in the areas I've traveled yet.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I can't stand Four Points but my one stay at Aloft was fine (except the breakfast, truly horrid but that might have just been that particular location). Interested in trying an Element sometime but haven't seen one in the areas I've traveled yet.
No, the Aloft breakfast is pretty much all the same. Only 4Pts I've enjoyed staying in was the one in Milan. Great breakfast and decent room, though little to no English language TV and slow internet so it was hard to watch on the computer.

Can't imagine $250-$300 a nt for Aloft or Element being a "deal" but it's all about the location. See it mid-week in Chicago, SF or NYC. Time to pull out the points.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think of element as a rather upscale extended stay brand. Since Marriott only gives half points for Residence Inn, getting fewer points for elements stays is at least consistent.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My favourite 4Points, Alofts and Elements are substantially better hotels than more than a few Sheratons and Westins I've tried.

Part of the game is the value proposition offered to franchisees. With fewer points to be handed out to elites, the hotel owner can easily save $$$ per year - this could be all the difference between signing up a new-build hotel to Element vs. Staybridge/Homewood Suites or whatever...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as mentioned re franchisees (22 franchised 2 managed) >

because marriott charges less to owners of element hotels
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as mentioned re franchisees (22 franchised 2 managed) >

because marriott charges less to owners of element hotels
Of what are 22 franchised and 2 managed ?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Element is an extended stay brand. That said, they are exceptionally nice for an extended stay brand - Westin Heavenly Bed, Eco conscious, evening receptions, free breakfast, fashionable rooms, etc. I hope this brand will continue to build out... I will say the older ones are nicer than the newer ones though - look at Element Lexington...

I remember reading an interview with the former CEO of Starwood saying his initial aloft concept was quite different than what Starwood is doing now... I wonder what his goal initially was for that brand...

4 Points was designed initially to be a home for also ran and poorly managed Sheratons they couldn't entirely kick out... A wildly inconsistent brand if you ask me... They go from being pleasant to downright horrid.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks, all. Like I said my experience is limited to the one Boston Element, and it just wasn't computing that a Category 5 property was in that bucket. That said, while nice I think the category is more like a 4, but I presume its location, location, location that drove this particular property's categorization.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Thanks, all. Like I said my experience is limited to the one Boston Element, and it just wasn't computing that a Category 5 property was in that bucket. That said, while nice I think the category is more like a 4, but I presume its location, location, location that drove this particular property's categorization.
The SPG category is driven by the average room price they can charge, not on the service levels they provide. SPG categories are not rankings of service level and quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.