Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

Fantastic to hear that Starwood is to bring three established Cuban hotels under the Starwood umbrella making it the first U.S. based hospitality company to enter the market in nearly 60 years.

Long-time Havana icon, Hotel Inglaterra, will join The Luxury Collection and Hotel Quinta Avenida will become a Four Points by Sheraton.

The famed Hotel Santa Isabel will also become a member of The Luxury Collection.

A national landmark just steps from the Gran Teatro de La Habana in the heart of downtown Havana, Hotel Inglaterra first opened its doors in 1875 and is home to the famed Gran Café el Louvre, which has hosted artists and travelers for over a century. Upon completion of the preservation and conversion projects later this year, the hotel will offer 83 rooms and reopen under The Luxury Collection banner.

Hotel Quinta Avenida in Havana’s Miramar district will rebrand as Four Points by Sheraton Havana later this year. The hotel will cater to business travelers with approximately 186 rooms and state-of-the-art meeting facilities.

Hotel Santa Isabel, will become a member of The Luxury Collection. Situated on the Plaza de Armas and overlooking Havana Harbor, the Santa Isabel will offer Starwood guests a conveniently situated respite in the heart of Havana’s historic city center, with 27 rooms, including 11 suites.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I know they've been negotiating for a while, but do you have a link to the official press release?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know they've been negotiating for a while, but do you have a link to the official press release?
https://starwood.q4web.com/investor-...a/default.aspx
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ has not been updated yet.

"Cuba" or "Havana" ---> "0 Starwood"
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UASPG
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ has not been updated yet.
Most of the references in the press release are in the future tense. In general, it looks like nothing until "later this year".
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Most of the references in the press release are in the future tense. In general, it looks like nothing until "later this year".
Correct:

Originally Posted by Starwood Press Release
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (“Starwood”) (NYSE:HOT) today signed three new hotel deals in Cuba, marking the first U.S. based hospitality company to enter the market in nearly 60 years. This announcement follows receipt of authorization from the U.S. Treasury Department for Starwood to operate hotels in Cuba. Long-time Havana icon, Hotel Inglaterra, will join The Luxury Collection and Hotel Quinta Avenida will become a Four Points by Sheraton. Both hotels will undergo renovations before raising their new brand flags later in 2016. The Company also announced that it has signed a Letter of Intent to convert the famed Hotel Santa Isabel into a member of The Luxury Collection.
(Emphasis added by controller1)
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I understand that USA regulations currently prevent earning airline miles on flights to/from Cuba. I wonder whether there's a similar regulation affecting hotel program points and elite benefits. If so, are these restrictions expected to end soon?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
are these restrictions expected to end soon?
Anything like that would take an act of Congress, and we all know how quickly they act...
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand that USA regulations currently prevent earning airline miles on flights to/from Cuba.
Likely to change very soon. My guess is that no one has thought of or dealt with that piece yet.

Re hotels, I'd like to see the Nacional renovated and become a Starwood. What a place, -- so full of history, too.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
All Cuban hotels are state-owned so the deal puts a major U.S. corporation (for now!) directly in business with the Communist government under a special U.S. license that pushes Washington's legal dismantling of the Cuban trade embargo further than ever before.

Starwood's chief of Latin America operations, Jorge Giannattasio, has said the company will invest millions to renovate and rebrand the Quinta Avenida, Santa Isabel and Inglaterra hotels, train and hire new staff and reopen the hotels by the end of the year.

Cuban hotels are notorious for their ramshackle furnishings and poor service.

Cuban law prevents widespread direct hiring of Cuban workers by foreign firms.

Giannattasio has said the Cuban Starwood hotels would be refitted with everything from new mattresses to improved kitchen equipment and safety measures and managed by teams of expatriate Starwood employees.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:21 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Likely to change very soon. My guess is that no one has thought of or dealt with that piece yet.

Re hotels, I'd like to see the Nacional renovated and become a Starwood. What a place, -- so full of history, too.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing!

Seeing as this is "just the beginning" for Starwood in Cuba, I wouldn't be surprised to see more hotels in other cities like Santiago de Cuba and Santa Clara and resort destinations like Cayo Coco - I can easily see a Le Méridien on the beach or a Sheraton in a city center.

Such excellent news. Can't wait for Starwood to upgrade the Cuban hotel scene and kickstart a new wave of development for this awesome country.

khabah
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Wow:

Such deals would normally be prohibited under the U.S. economic embargo of Cuba, but Starwood received special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department last week.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/19/reute...evolution.html
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Such deals would normally be prohibited under the U.S. economic embargo of Cuba, but Starwood received special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department last week.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35854979

The news comes on the eve of President Obama's visit to the island - the first by a US president in almost 90 years.
Just coincidence, eh ?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Starwood will be Chinese soon so they do not care about any U.S regulations or whatever. They look into the future.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. I would have expected at least one to be branded as Tribute, so that it would stay roughly as is, particularly a hotel with only 27 rooms!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.