Search

Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
To summarize the article's key points:

HOTEL INGLATERRA
- Marriott is still on to take over and make this hotel part of the Luxury Collection.
- The Inglaterra's renovations are hitting snags because of the 'historic' nature of the building and how they can sensitively go about things.
- Marriott execs met with their Cuban counterparts to talk about the Inglaterra's renovations but nothing will happen until they finalize details surrounding the renovation - something which will take about six months or so.

FOUR POINTS
- Strong occupancy with 26 percent of clientele being Americans.
- Guests can now pay for their stays using US-issued credit cards instead of with cash or two banks approved during the Obama administration.
- The property will get upgraded with new paint, furnishings, bedding and linens soon; my own scouring of TripAdvisor reviews/management responses verify this and the management genuinely seems interested and working hard to bring the property up to global standards.

HOTEL SANTA ISABEL
- Status unknown; Marriott was coy about whether or not the project will be joining the Luxury Collection.

OTHER
- Marriott has their eyes set on Havana for expansion into Cuba for the time being, but they are open to prospects across the entire country and are actively looking for new projects.

All in all, interesting developments but a bit frustrating that things are - understandably so given the state of things - moving so slowly. Hopefully some more good news is waiting in the wings.

khabah
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Just checked out of Four Points, and I have to agree with some of the tripadvisor comments that this is the worst SPG hotel evel. Even sold me fake cigars from its inhouse cigar shop.Will post more details in the hotel thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.