Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Starwood Cuba

I am interested in beach resorts...Havana is so run down
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
But how to pay? If I understand correctly, US-bank issued credit cards still cannot be used in Cuba.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mediator
But how to pay? If I understand correctly, US-bank issued credit cards still cannot be used in Cuba.
I've been wondering about that too. Would a prepaid rate be allowed with a USA credit card? Maybe with the lifting of restrictions, we'll still be allowed to use USA credit cards there. Otherwise, i don't know what would be the safe and practical solution. I wouldn't want to carry cash and I wouldn't count on travelers' checks being accepted either.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand that USA regulations currently prevent earning airline miles on flights to/from Cuba. I wonder whether there's a similar regulation affecting hotel program points and elite benefits. If so, are these restrictions expected to end soon?
It'll be a frosty day in hell when the US Congress tells me, as a Canadian, I can't get hotel points and/or benefits when I travel to a non-US country...

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
How did Obama pay for his stay last night?

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Flews
It'll be a frosty day in hell when the US Congress tells me, as a Canadian, I can't get hotel points and/or benefits when I travel to a non-US country...

Cheers,
However, SPG is a US-based company so it has to abide by US regulations (until they're changed). I'm sure there's fine print in SPG program (well heck, probably all of the programs) re: rules of program are subject to laws of country, etc, etc.

On a more hopeful note, since it looks like end of year for the properties getting renovated there's potentially time to get it changed.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
However, SPG is a US-based company so it has to abide by US regulations (until they're changed). I'm sure there's fine print in SPG program (well heck, probably all of the programs) re: rules of program are subject to laws of country, etc, etc.

On a more hopeful note, since it looks like end of year for the properties getting renovated there's potentially time to get it changed.

Cheers.
Sorry, that's simply not accurate. Companies are governed by the laws of the countries in which they do business.

Cheers,
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry, that's simply not accurate. Companies are governed by the laws of the countries in which they do business.

Cheers,
Well given Cuba laws that may or may not be a good thing

Is SPG going to change its software to accept non-US credit cards/give points in Cuba but not accept US credit cards/don't give points? That could be a mess. Marriott & other US hotel chains that start doing bizness in Cuba could potentially face the same thing (although hopefully once there's more trade btwn US & Cuba, the restriction re: miles/points could be lifted).

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:50 am

Well given Cuba laws that may or may not be a good thing

Is SPG going to change its software to accept non-US credit cards/give points in Cuba but not accept US credit cards/don't give points? That could be a mess. Marriott & other US hotel chains that start doing bizness in Cuba could potentially face the same thing (although hopefully once there's more trade btwn US & Cuba, the restriction re: miles/points could be lifted).

Cheers.
I've used non-US credit cards at Starwood (and other) properties on five Continents and some 60 countries around the world, so I am not sure what "software change" would be required to accept non-US cards.

As for Cuba, surely it's pretty clear by now the normalization of diplomatic relations with the United States means Americans will no longer have issues doing business in that Country. Cuba's approval of these new Starwood properties in and of itself is clear evidence of that.

Cheers,
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I am not sure what "software change" would be required to accept non-US cards.
Read the whole sentence...
Is SPG going to change its software to accept non-US credit cards/give points in Cuba but not accept US credit cards/don't give points?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
So...

The Four Points and Inglaterra are now on the master directory... with dates.

Four Points by Sheraton Quinta Avenida - Opening May 30, 2016
Inglaterra, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Havana - Opening July 1, 2016

No live sites or bookability just yet but hey, dates! Can't wait to have these options available and to see how the renovations will turn these hotels around - especially the beautiful but painfully dated Inglaterra.

khabah
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by se17
I stayed in the Inglaterra one month ago. It needs a lot of renovation, it has the potential to be beautiful. At the moment it's a bit of a disaster.

I'll be fascinated how Starwood instills customer service. Cuba- well for obvious reasons, there's no real concept of customer service. You get what you get and you like it. It's one big project, I hope they make it work.
Stayed there as well. It's one of the worst three hotels I have ever stayed at in the last decade but there is loads of potential. And you're right re: lack of customer service.

It says opening date 1 July 2016 ... I will be back on 13-22 July but doubt any real renovations will have started by then, so looks like I will be staying in a three bedroom apartment, high floor, overlooking the Malecon for 90USD/CUC per night.

Someone mentioned The Nacional ... stayed there too. That could be a great Luxury Collection Hotel - after extensive renovations obviously - but oh well.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Inglaterra delayed to November 1st as per the Starwood master directory; based on recent TripAdvisor reviews and whatever photos I could dig up, the place REALLY didn't look ready for Luxury Collection primetime by the August 31st target they had originally set. Let's hope this third delay is a charm.

khabah
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by khabah
Inglaterra delayed to November 1st as per the Starwood master directory; based on recent TripAdvisor reviews and whatever photos I could dig up, the place REALLY didn't look ready for Luxury Collection primetime by the August 31st target they had originally set. Let's hope this third delay is a charm.

khabah

I was there two weeks ago and it looked the same when I stayed there four years prior

Three months to bring it up to LC standard - ha ha ha ha ha they are dreaming - we stayed in two nice LC properties on the same trip (Palace SF and Bristol Warsaw) and they are both solid LC properties (hard and soft products). The Inglaterra will nowhere be like those examples, anytime soon. Maybe in 5 years or more .... serious!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Did at least the 4Points open at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.