Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2016 : Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG
If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using any other category of room - if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will be modified to match the room type you are claiming for
Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
Room types must be the same for a BRG.
If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.
Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities that are included in the external website's rate but which are not included in the Starwood rate may or may not be provided.
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. Your initial booking should also be only for one occupant. If you require a room for more than one, indicate this in the comments section. The BRG team will verify if additional charges are required for more than one occupant and the rate will be modified accordingly.

Differing currencies
"The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Company Room Provider:
Other Company Room Provider:
Competing rate:
Comments:

Q: Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?
A: Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2016 : Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I think the reason for refusal is that the agent compares only the rate w/o taxes and fees... If you compare all included rates, the rate on expedia is indeed lower that the rate on SPG... No idea which rate is supposed to be used in the case of BRG...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Tommys888
I think the reason for refusal is that the agent compares only the rate w/o taxes and fees... If you compare all included rates, the rate on expedia is indeed lower that the rate on SPG... No idea which rate is supposed to be used in the case of BRG...
Booked a non-refundable/non-changeable rate of 92 USD at a Sheraton, then I found on expedia.com a rate of 82 USD (same type of room, same condition), but SPG website now offers a rate of 87 USD (same type of room, same condition). I BRG the 92 USD rate and got refused. How possible? This is what I got from agent - it seems that she only looks at the rate w/o taxes - I thought we should looked at rates all included, right?

I have reviewed the rates for our Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel for the dates of your claim on our website and found a rate of $74.48 USD plus all taxes and fees which is lower than the rate of $78.40 USD plus all taxes and fees found on the expedia app. Since the rate is lower on our website, I am not able to honor your claim. However, for your future booking convenience I have enclosed a live link, that will allow you to view and book our best available rates.

You have an interesting situation.

In general, yes you do look at the "all-included" rate, but then you have to deduct the taxes and fees from both to get the final rates which will be compared against each other. So it's not just comparing the final rates.

In your particular case, I noticed:

1. SPG has 2 taxes - a service tax (ISS) of 5% and a room tax of USD$9
2. Expedia has only 1 tax - they don't state the amount and what it consists of but a simple calculation shows that it is 5% ie the service tax (ISS)

Using your rates of $82 for expedia and $87 for SPG:

a. Expedia: $82 less 5% = $78.09
b. SPG: $87 less $9 and then less 5% = $74.28

which is what the BRG agent quoted you.

Now, this is the fun part:
. by right, the BRG agent should have deducted 5% and $9 from the Expedia rate. That would have made it even lower than the SPG rate . But they only deducted 5%
. I'm not sure if they are supposed to vet the OTA rates for missing fees etc which they appear to have done in this case - I've never personally encountered this sort of situation

Anyway, I would clarify with the hotel and Expedia, asking if the Expedia rate includes the Tourism Tax of USD$9. If you can get in writing that it IS included, then you can send that back to the BRG team and request that they review the claim.

However, I personally feel that the hotel and Expedia will tell you that you have to pay the $9/room/night at the front desk...

Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
ah, clear. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

I will see what I can do - my first feeling is that it is probably too overwhelming to go through too many steps just for 2K points...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
ah, clear. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

I will see what I can do - my first feeling is that it is probably too overwhelming to go through too many steps just for 2K points...
Maybe next time book a flexible rate, then submit your BRG claim. If its denied, you could always cancel should you not like the rate. I guess this is one of the best features of the SPG BRG process.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
You have an interesting situation.

In general, yes you do look at the "all-included" rate, but then you have to deduct the taxes and fees from both to get the final rates which will be compared against each other. So it's not just comparing the final rates.

In your particular case, I noticed:

1. SPG has 2 taxes - a service tax (ISS) of 5% and a room tax of USD$9
2. Expedia has only 1 tax - they don't state the amount and what it consists of but a simple calculation shows that it is 5% ie the service tax (ISS)

Using your rates of $82 for expedia and $87 for SPG:

a. Expedia: $82 less 5% = $78.09
b. SPG: $87 less $9 and then less 5% = $74.28

which is what the BRG agent quoted you.

Now, this is the fun part:
. by right, the BRG agent should have deducted 5% and $9 from the Expedia rate. That would have made it even lower than the SPG rate . But they only deducted 5%
. I'm not sure if they are supposed to vet the OTA rates for missing fees etc which they appear to have done in this case - I've never personally encountered this sort of situation

Anyway, I would clarify with the hotel and Expedia, asking if the Expedia rate includes the Tourism Tax of USD$9. If you can get in writing that it IS included, then you can send that back to the BRG team and request that they review the claim.

However, I personally feel that the hotel and Expedia will tell you that you have to pay the $9/room/night at the front desk...

Good luck!
Your explanation is absolutely correct and very clear - I had thought of posting something but it was all too complicated for me.

My experience has been that these city tourism taxes in Brazil are never included in prepaid OTA rates. Often they are actually optional contributions to the local tourism bureau/hotels association. I had a similar rejection at the Sheraton Salvador which I documented a page or two back. The BRG desk is I think correct in rejecting these claims even if they don't explain the reasons clearly. For that you need to come to Flyertalk
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
Run into an interesting new issue. SPG.com showed USD 413.40 rate when searched, but changed to USD 436.80 when clicked. I can only book USD 436.80 on spg.com while expedia.com can book at USD 413.60.

I booked USD 436.80 and filed BRG. BRG team denied it as I didn't book the lowest rate. I responded with detailed instruction then BRG team agreed but still cannot approve BRG. The spg.com rate displayed is the same as expedia.com, although that rate is not bookable on spg.com. BRG team says will contact hotel for resolution in five business days. IMHO, spg should at least honor the lower displayed, but not bookable, rate.
Update: Hotel did honor the lower rate initially displayed.:-: Nevertheless, the website rate-changed-when-clicked issue persists. It is sometimes higher, sometimes lower.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Hotel Name : Royal Palm South Beach Miami, a Tribute Portfolio Resort
Date(s) : 4 nights in late December 2016
Number of Adults : 2
Room Type : Deluxe city view room, non-smoking
Starwood Rate : USD 600.21 per night (taxes and fees included)
Competing Website : galahotels.com
Competing rate : USD 1279 per stay (taxes and fees included)
Comments : Resort fee not included in both starwood rate and competing rate.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent
Actual confirmed rate : 224.38 USD per night plus taxes and fees (280.48 USD less 20%)

Very fast response time (less than half an hour). Kudos to BRG team.

However, after doing some research on this property, I don't think i want to stay there anymore.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
That is an absolutely huge price difference.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by tfong007
That is an absolutely huge price difference.
With my last brg I can stay 3 nights on the price of one... Nice for me, but for the hotel...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I understand that the BRG requires you to have created a reservation prior to submitting a claim -- can you make this reservation over the phone, or does it have to have been made with the app/website?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pewpew
can you make this reservation over the phone, or does it have to have been made with the app/website?
Either option works.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by pewpew
I understand that the BRG requires you to have created a reservation prior to submitting a claim -- can you make this reservation over the phone, or does it have to have been made with the app/website?
The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to existing reservations that are not booked through a Starwood Website, and Starwood is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel (e.g., a call center, a non-Starwood booking channel).

Has to be booked on Starwood site or app. Had a claim denied long time ago when I booked through call centre
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:43 am
Suspended

the competing rate is more then twice the Starwood rate posted so how did this ever get BRGed?

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Hotel Name : Royal Palm South Beach Miami, a Tribute Portfolio Resort
Date(s) : 4 nights in late December 2016
Number of Adults : 2
Room Type : Deluxe city view room, non-smoking
Starwood Rate : USD 600.21 per night (taxes and fees included)
Competing Website : galahotels.com
Competing rate : USD 1279 per stay (taxes and fees included)
Comments : Resort fee not included in both starwood rate and competing rate.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent
Actual confirmed rate : 224.38 USD per night plus taxes and fees (280.48 USD less 20%)

Very fast response time (less than half an hour). Kudos to BRG team.

However, after doing some research on this property, I don't think i want to stay there anymore.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:05 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by leeky
the competing rate is more then twice the Starwood rate posted so how did this ever get BRGed?
The competing rate is $1279 for the entire stay of four nights, thus $319.xx per night all inclusive, so once you take out the taxes and other fees, less 20%, it becomes $224.38 per night.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal
The competing rate is $1279 for the entire stay of four nights, thus $319.xx per night all inclusive, so once you take out the taxes and other fees, less 20%, it becomes $224.38 per night.
Thank you ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.