Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:25 pm

Disney Dolphin info needed

What should I expect to upgrade to? Is their a club level lounge (what amenities)?

Any other info to pass on would help.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 1:43 pm
ski

Very impressed with Dolphin platinum treatment. Status acknowledged at check-in. Platinum amenity card given. Past stay was upgraded to club floor room with adjoining parlor. Club floor rooms are newly renovated with PT Simmons Beauty Rest mattress for Starwood and Westin type linens. The new decor is very attractive. King room also had sofa bed that opened to twin. Parlor was the size of 2 individual rooms with a double Murphy bed and a sofa that pulled out to about a Queen size bed. Small table and chairs. Parlor had an extra bathroom with a shower/bathtub and an additional minibar, tv, safe, etc. This was our first suite upgrade at Swan/ Dolphin. Other stays always upgraded as platinum to club or given club access. Club is open for breakfast and in eve for appetizers (1 hot), fruit, cheese, veg, soft drinks, etc. Lady working in eve in club went out of her way to help us. Turn down service in evening. Amenity and points posted about 2 days after check out.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:59 am

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
The Swan is my favorite, but we are splitting our stay between the two this trip (23 days) so that we can see the upgrades at the Dolphin. The club is great (wish it was open during the afternoon) at the Swan and I expect no less at the Dolphin since Mama T is splitting her days between the two now.

The service from these hotels are wonderful, friendly, happy to help. Like Disney Resorts USED to be. Platinums are always upgraded if possible, I know we have been. This time it's a suite upgrade at both hotels.

All of that and discounts that are not available at any other Disney resort, oh and the all important POINTS of course!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
A couple of suggestions

If you get the end room with the balcony, you may want to ask whether it faces Epcot. If so, you can see the fireworks. Our was on the other side of the hall and with a sleeping baby, we were happy with the location.
Also, I think we were on the 6th floor. If we were one floor lower, we would have had the palm trees in the way of our view.
We got the upgrade, even though we were staying on a free night. Very nice.
A couple of complaints. We were there during a convention. They said the self parking was just a few feet away. The lot was packed and I ended up with a space a few feet (about 5000 of them) away. It looked like I got the last space available. Not sure where I would have had to of parked if it was not available. There were other cars circling, looking for spots. I just lucked out.
We had a couple issues with our room. One was corrected, one was not. But at no time did they offer us any compensation. I did not press them or even suggest it.
Overall, the staff and hotel was great. Would go back again.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:11 am

Since someone mentioned the Swan... We were there over the weekend. I posted some photos online in case anyone is interested.

View WDW Swan Photos

Last edited by Tummy; Jun 7, 2004 at 1:18 am
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
WDW Dolphin mini report 6/6/2004

We knew in advance we were upgraded by looking at our reservation at spg.com. Thank you Dolphin. Upon check-in our room was not ready. The front desk staff took our cell phone number and called fortunately before we left the property. Was not offered a P amenity and given card after asking. Points please. The Club is located on 12. There are a total of 20 floors. The Club is open for continental breakfest at 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM. On Sunday until 10:30 AM. It does not reopen until 5:00 PM offering some cold items and one hot item. The Club room was newly renovated and nice in that Disney sort of way. The odd number rooms face the Swan. When looking towards the Dolphin try and get a room to the far left side. These rooms overlook the lake and you can see the fireworks from Epcot every evening at 9:00 PM.

Some pointers. Check the mini bar when you arrive into your room. This was our biggest complaint. It took our entire two day stay to get a charge off our room. When we arrived we noted and called down about it having been used. It took three more calls. Also we noted lapses in room cleaning especially with clean but soiled bedsheets and pillow cases.

Have change in the form of dollar bills and quarters before you leave MCO. You will most likely be directed towards the Florida turnpike which means tolls. It was about 30 minutes plus in each direction. If we remember correctly $2 to WDW and $2.50 from WDW. The worst is that when you get on the turnpike from WDW you must deposit 50 cents in cash. No toll attendent. So get or take some change.

Parking. There is no charge for self parking at the Dolphin. Reach the lot by driving to the next entrance AFTER the Dolphin entrance sign. Make a immediate right into lot. The sign does say self parking is to the left. But we have and continue to use this lot with no problem. I think they try to keep it clear to expand their valet section when they wish. A much closer walk to the convention center entrance which winds into the Resort area.

There is a $10 resort fee.

Kimonos is a restaurant located in the Swan. A good value IMHO. Has a short menu but more than enough to make a meal.

The Sheraton Service Promise is quoted even with the Dolphin being a Westin. Press 66 for assistance. I did not test the Promise since we were pretty happy.

Outlets are plentiful in Orlando. There is a Orlando Premium outlet pretty close to WDW and another one down International Drive towards the end of it. At the MCO Premium take your AAA card to the info station in the food court for a discount coupon book. A good value. You can also buy it for $5. The other complex down International Drive is in two different sections. The outdoor one has a Coach, Ann Taylor and Off Saks Fifth. Good size stores. The Coach at this outlet center has a much better selection. Get your discount book at the cashier counter at Off Saks Fifth. Back of this complex. Fortunately we did not make it to the other complex.

Lines at MCO look long but are not that bad. The TSA representative was saying two hours but that would be on the high side. The move pretty efficient. Also UA has a RCC just beyond gate 42. Nice and spacious. The UA line is a problem even for persons in F. Slow as heck. Finally resorted to easy check-in. The line for Y is pretty bad. So try easy check-in.

You will get a USA Today. The Club has the NY Times, WSJ and Orlando Sentinel. So get all you papers there. A strict sign in policy with names/room numbers checked promptly. Free high speed internet access in rooms with a number of wireless connections popping up. A Hess gas station before the Resort offers a good value to fill the tank before you return the car. BTW. I priced my Avis rental again before flying and saved another $30 on our two night rental. FYI. We that is it. If I think of anything else will advise. Oh. The sell park tickets in the lobby. They can also read your old cards and tell you what you have left. Before we needed to visit the park. Good deal. Also I believe on M W and F they have a $12 special for more time in the park if you have a Park Hopper ticket. This is evening bonus time with access to only I believe eight of the most popular rides. Enjoy.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:54 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Note: The WDW Dolphin is a Sheraton-branded resort, ergo the mention of the Sheraton Service Promise. The WDW Swan is branded as a Westin resort.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:09 pm

Smile

RTW,
Timely post, my family and I arrive there on June 17th. Appreciate the report.
John
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I stand happily corrected again.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:28 pm

BTW. I used to stay at the Swan before "finding" the Dolphin. The rooms above the Club level in the Swan have HVAC units and are rocking/rolling all night long. Hence the Dolphin.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:18 pm

FYI. Our credit card was charged for the mini bar item that went back and forth after we checked out. I called the Resort to get it taken off ala extension 66.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
FYI. Our credit card was charged for the mini bar item that went back and forth after we checked out. I called the Resort to get it taken off ala extension 66.
If that doesn't work, call Hotel Customer Service. 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:30 am
Xev

If I'm not mistaken, the Coral Cafe at the Dolphin may still have a character breakfast (buffet) on Sunday mornings. Chip, Dale, and Goofy. Since the summer is busy, and you may not be able to get reservations for character dining, this might be a solution.

Disney Dining 407-939-DINE

Dolphin Hotel: 407-934-4000
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:31 pm

When we were waiting to get into Kimonos at the Swan Resort I asked the Cafe about Disney friends. The Cafe at the Swan had Disney friends in the evening and at breakfest. FYI.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:05 am

I've stayed at the Dolphin twice as Platinum SPG and both times recieved a Jr. Suite with CL privs. We requested the far east wing with an Epcot view instead of the club floor. You do have to request these perks or they are not offered to Plats. The Dolphin have several fine restaurants inluding Todd English's new BlueZoo (outstanding). The location is great and you can't beat the Starwood perks! We are headed to the Swan in Feb and booked a studio room. Sadly we are no longer Plat. I have no idea what upgrade I will recieve as Gold at the Swan. Probably zilch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.