Wiki Posts
Search

Minibar charges for items I didn't buy

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Minibar charges for items I didn't buy

I recently stayed at the Park Lane Sheraton in London for 6 days. Upon checking out, there were a bunch of minibar charges on my bill. Each item listed what it was for--diet coke, Pringles, etc. Maybe 7 different charges. I did not use the minibar. Actually, I didn't even know I had one. I asked that the charges be removed. The front desk attendant did remove them, but his attitude made me feel like he didn't believe me and he thought I was trying to cheat them. So, I asked how this might happen. Could they have not restocked before I checked in? Maybe put the wrong room number down?

I've had this happen once or twice before at other hotels, and it's always made me feel bad. Any ideas why this happens? I do know some hotels have sensors to know if an item has been picked up, and charges you. That is not the case here, as I did not touch any of the items.

Just curious, and I'd like to avoid it if possible in the future.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Argonott
I recently stayed at the Park Lane Sheraton in London for 6 days. Upon checking out, there were a bunch of minibar charges on my bill. Each item listed what it was for--diet coke, Pringles, etc. Maybe 7 different charges. I did not use the minibar. Actually, I didn't even know I had one. I asked that the charges be removed. The front desk attendant did remove them, but his attitude made me feel like he didn't believe me and he thought I was trying to cheat them. So, I asked how this might happen. Could they have not restocked before I checked in? Maybe put the wrong room number down?

I've had this happen once or twice before at other hotels, and it's always made me feel bad. Any ideas why this happens? I do know some hotels have sensors to know if an item has been picked up, and charges you. That is not the case here, as I did not touch any of the items.

It happens occasionally, they removed it. If you felt there was an issue with that FDA, you should have spoke to his manager.

If it happens again, just deal with it at checkout.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I agree, it happens sometimes and goes both ways. There are times (with the sensors) things ive taken out from the minibar were not charged upon check out (i write everything down on a piece of paper what ive consumed and for reconciliation).

And IMEces, Sheraton Towers Hyde Park do have snotty front desk anyways. So dont take it personally
Old May 18, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm sure that I stay at many fewer properties than most here; but this has never been a problem for me. When I use the minibar, I keep track on the provided tally sheet and take it with me to the FD when I checkout. On those few occasions when there's been a discrepancy, never a problem, and never an attitude. IME errors have gone both ways, too.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Error on your bill, you brought it to the right person's attention, they fixed it. That should have been the end of it.

Unless you're an auditor for the property, asking the next question apparently led to the poor attitude. I would drop it.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
OP, no drama here, move on and enjoy your vacation/trip.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I got charged for wine (that I did not lift/remove) from the minibar from the Park Lane Sheraton in May 2013, and it showed up as an extra charge on my CC a week after I checked out. A quick email to my ambassador took care of it.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This happened to me at this hotel about 12 years ago. I cleared out the whole fridge to put my own soft drinks. I had a fat charge.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The discussion at the front desk never bothers me regardless of agents attitude. If I did not use/eat/drink it there is no reason to pay. What is insidious is the CC charge a week or so later. They know most people if they discover it will not dispute it. Also as a CC charge all you know is the hotel charged you for something else - it never says what.

I'll have to think about the Ambassador part; I'm of the mindset to contact my Ambassador only for really "important" things (ie. is my wife with me on the trip .
Old May 19, 2014, 5:07 pm

How does this happen? Easy. The 'mini bar checker person' writes down the wrong room number.

Cheers,
Old May 19, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007
This happened to me at this hotel about 12 years ago. I cleared out the whole fridge to put my own soft drinks. I had a fat charge.
At most properties, they will do this for you if you ask.

Cheers,
Old May 19, 2014, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flews
How does this happen? Easy. The 'mini bar checker person' writes down the wrong room number.
These days, many minibars are fully automated so you can get charged if you bump the refrigerator or sneeze too hard.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
These days, many minibars are fully automated so you can get charged if you bump the refrigerator or sneeze too hard.
I have never seen one of these, but all my stays are in either Australia, India, or Asia so maybe it is a regional thing.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Originally Posted by camsean
I have never seen one of these, ………. maybe it is a regional thing.
No, it's an exaggerated thing.

Last edited by clublounger; May 20, 2014 at 10:07 am
Old May 20, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I first saw the automated minibars in 2001. Since then, I see them less and less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.