FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Minibar charges for items I didn't buy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1578135-minibar-charges-items-i-didnt-buy.html)

Argonott May 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Minibar charges for items I didn't buy

I recently stayed at the Park Lane Sheraton in London for 6 days. Upon checking out, there were a bunch of minibar charges on my bill. Each item listed what it was for--diet coke, Pringles, etc. Maybe 7 different charges. I did not use the minibar. Actually, I didn't even know I had one. I asked that the charges be removed. The front desk attendant did remove them, but his attitude made me feel like he didn't believe me and he thought I was trying to cheat them. So, I asked how this might happen. Could they have not restocked before I checked in? Maybe put the wrong room number down?

I've had this happen once or twice before at other hotels, and it's always made me feel bad. Any ideas why this happens? I do know some hotels have sensors to know if an item has been picked up, and charges you. That is not the case here, as I did not touch any of the items.

Just curious, and I'd like to avoid it if possible in the future.

KENNECTED May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Argonott (Post 22885580)
I recently stayed at the Park Lane Sheraton in London for 6 days. Upon checking out, there were a bunch of minibar charges on my bill. Each item listed what it was for--diet coke, Pringles, etc. Maybe 7 different charges. I did not use the minibar. Actually, I didn't even know I had one. I asked that the charges be removed. The front desk attendant did remove them, but his attitude made me feel like he didn't believe me and he thought I was trying to cheat them. So, I asked how this might happen. Could they have not restocked before I checked in? Maybe put the wrong room number down?

I've had this happen once or twice before at other hotels, and it's always made me feel bad. Any ideas why this happens? I do know some hotels have sensors to know if an item has been picked up, and charges you. That is not the case here, as I did not touch any of the items.

It happens occasionally, they removed it. If you felt there was an issue with that FDA, you should have spoke to his manager.

If it happens again, just deal with it at checkout.

supatight80 May 18, 2014 6:38 pm

I agree, it happens sometimes and goes both ways. There are times (with the sensors) things ive taken out from the minibar were not charged upon check out (i write everything down on a piece of paper what ive consumed and for reconciliation).

And IMEces, Sheraton Towers Hyde Park do have snotty front desk anyways. So dont take it personally :)

Dr. HFH May 18, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm sure that I stay at many fewer properties than most here; but this has never been a problem for me. When I use the minibar, I keep track on the provided tally sheet and take it with me to the FD when I checkout. On those few occasions when there's been a discrepancy, never a problem, and never an attitude. IME errors have gone both ways, too.

Often1 May 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Error on your bill, you brought it to the right person's attention, they fixed it. That should have been the end of it.

Unless you're an auditor for the property, asking the next question apparently led to the poor attitude. I would drop it.

remymartin May 18, 2014 8:00 pm

OP, no drama here, move on and enjoy your vacation/trip.

yyznomad May 18, 2014 8:45 pm

I got charged for wine (that I did not lift/remove) from the minibar from the Park Lane Sheraton in May 2013, and it showed up as an extra charge on my CC a week after I checked out. A quick email to my ambassador took care of it.

tfong007 May 19, 2014 2:20 am

This happened to me at this hotel about 12 years ago. I cleared out the whole fridge to put my own soft drinks. I had a fat charge.

MikeFly May 19, 2014 5:18 am

The discussion at the front desk never bothers me regardless of agents attitude. If I did not use/eat/drink it there is no reason to pay. What is insidious is the CC charge a week or so later. They know most people if they discover it will not dispute it. Also as a CC charge all you know is the hotel charged you for something else - it never says what.

I'll have to think about the Ambassador part; I'm of the mindset to contact my Ambassador only for really "important" things (ie. is my wife with me on the trip ;).

Flews May 19, 2014 5:07 pm

How does this happen? Easy. The 'mini bar checker person' writes down the wrong room number.

Cheers,

Flews May 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007 (Post 22887179)
This happened to me at this hotel about 12 years ago. I cleared out the whole fridge to put my own soft drinks. I had a fat charge.

At most properties, they will do this for you if you ask.

Cheers,

mahasamatman May 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flews (Post 22891116)
How does this happen? Easy. The 'mini bar checker person' writes down the wrong room number.

These days, many minibars are fully automated so you can get charged if you bump the refrigerator or sneeze too hard.

camsean May 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22892105)
These days, many minibars are fully automated so you can get charged if you bump the refrigerator or sneeze too hard.

I have never seen one of these, but all my stays are in either Australia, India, or Asia so maybe it is a regional thing.

clublounger May 20, 2014 2:46 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22892105)

Originally Posted by camsean (Post 22892647)
I have never seen one of these, ………. maybe it is a regional thing.

No, it's an exaggerated thing.

remymartin May 20, 2014 4:07 am

I first saw the automated minibars in 2001. Since then, I see them less and less.