Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Socarrat (www.socarratnyc.com) has great paella - locations in Nolita, Chelsea and Midtown East (haven't eaten at the latter).
Other favorite Spanish spots are Boqueria (www.BoqueriaNYC.com) in Soho and the Flatiron, and Tertulia (www.TertuliaNYC.com) in the West Village. Enjoy!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, just a reminder that this is the SPG forum and the topic of this thread is the Four Points Diagonal hotel, Barcelona. @:-)
/mod
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, just a reminder that this is the SPG forum and the topic of this thread is the Four Points Diagonal hotel, Barcelona. @:-)
/mod
..which actually is a real good hotel - value for price. I've stayed there 1,5 week ago and I've had a bit a disruptive week: flying out from Brussels I was both affected by an air control strike in France (Sunday / Monday) and the terrorist attack in Brussels on Tuesday.

I've planned a night at the W Barcelona and then some nights at the FP. Unfortunately I've had to change my travel schedule due to the unforeseen circumstances and what a difference between W Barcelona and FP Diagonal.

I've booked rooms with non-refundable rates, so there is no legal obligation for any kind of compensation - only from a hospitality perspective I would have expected better as a plat50. The W just said it's not their problem or fault. In FP we've had a nice chat with Steven, the GM, who showed compassion and they had in advance blocked my room until I would be able to fly back to Brussels.

Apart from the situation: I can recommend the food in the hotel. Breakfast is pretty good and the bar is surprisingly well priced (mainly compared to other SPG properties) - you should definitely try the tapas or the paella! Bar staff is really friendly (we've been served by a 21yr old guy named Ramon, really enthusiastic, funny and helpful). Take the white bottle of "Anna" cava, sparkling local wine, seved by waitress Anna.

The hotel is located in a quiet area where you can easily walk around without looking after your Ray Ban and wallet every second. There is a shopping mall just across the street, some nice restaurants for lunch (go for a extended lunch on a terrace) or dinner, the beach is only a 15 min walk away. Take a T10-ticket for multi-person 10 tram/bus/metro journeys for 11 USD at the vending machine at the tram stop in front of the hotel.
Trams to the city center run all day and there is a 24h bus driving to the touristic center.

Rooms were pretty standard - platinum upgrade included a corner room at the 4th floor, there are no suites.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by arjen05
..which actually is a real good hotel - value for price. I've stayed there 1,5 week ago and I've had a bit a disruptive week: flying out from Brussels I was both affected by an air control strike in France (Sunday / Monday) and the terrorist attack in Brussels on Tuesday.

I've planned a night at the W Barcelona and then some nights at the FP. Unfortunately I've had to change my travel schedule due to the unforeseen circumstances and what a difference between W Barcelona and FP Diagonal.

I've booked rooms with non-refundable rates, so there is no legal obligation for any kind of compensation - only from a hospitality perspective I would have expected better as a plat50. The W just said it's not their problem or fault.

. . .
I hope you also posted something in the W Barcelona master thread.

Our thoughts and prayers continue for those directly impacted by the terrorism in Brussels.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I'm trying to find the public transportation route to get to the hotel from the airport, but I'm failing miserably.

I read in the OP, there is a train station direct from the airport, but I can't find the route via google.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linies-de-metro -> I tried to search on that site, but it tells me to take 2 buses.

Is there an easy way to take the metro to the hotel or should I just cab it?

I'm also landing at 11:20 PM at night. I'd like to make it to the hotel before midnight, is that even possible?

I also have the option at landing at 9:30 PM if that makes travel on metro easier.
If I get in at 9:30, are restaurants still open at 10:30 near the 4 points for me to find a good dinner?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:54 pm

So I kept googling and finally figured it out!

It looks like it'll be ~45minutes

Take R2N train to Barcelona-Clot-Arago, Spain stop and walk to hotel

How safe is the Barcelona-Clot-Arago area to the hotel? Are there pickpockets looking to get me on a weekday night as I'm walking to the hotel?

The cab ride looks like it's going to take 1/2 hour so I don't really save much time by getting a cab and it costs 40 Euros vs 2 Euros if I buy the T10 card.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fr33b13

How safe is the Barcelona-Clot-Arago area to the hotel? Are there pickpockets looking to get me on a weekday night as I'm walking to the hotel?

The cab ride looks like it's going to take 1/2 hour so I don't really save much time by getting a cab and it costs 40 Euros vs 2 Euros if I buy the T10 card.
personally i wouldn't want to do that walk as a tourist dragging a suitcase that late at night. you could grab a cab from clot-arago station though. it's not a short walk and it's very circuitous so you'll probably have your smart phone out or a map.

another thing is that if you're landing in T1 (the new terminal) it's quite a trek to get to that R2N line. that might take you half-an-hour by itself. R2N is not a metro, it's a Rodalies train and doesn't run as often as metros do.

I would do one of the following:
  1. take the new L9 at T1 to Torassa. Switch to the L1 line (red) and go to (placa de las) Glories. from there it's a short walk on a big street (Diagonal) or you could hop on the tramvia T6 for a couple of stops to the hotel.
  2. take the aerobus to placa catalunya (around 5 eur) and then the L1 from there to Glories

i would definitely take the earlier flight if you can. landing at 11:20 means you won't be at the hotel until well after midnight under the best of conditions. eating shouldn't be a problem if you take the earlier flight but it might be if you get to the hotel after midnight. if you do take the later flight, i would spring for a cab for sure.

Last edited by BenSenise; Apr 5, 2016 at 8:40 am Reason: corrected T2 to T1, I had then backwards. T1 is the new terminal
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by BenSenise
oh, oh, paco meralgo, one of my faaaaaavorites. high end stuff and $$$$$ if i recall. haven't been there for a few years. i'm jonesing for a trip to BCN now!!!

as an aside, do you get the meaning of "paco meralgo?" it's para comer algo, to eat something, with para shortened to "pa" kind of like we say gonna for going to.
While staying at the Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, I too suggest Paco Meralgo as one of my favorites in Barcelona. Not cheap, and not traditional decor but really good Pa amb tomŕquet (tomato bread) and the Bomba piccante. Can't wait to go back there.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:58 am

Taxi will be around 35€ (based on a similar distance that I have to go from the airport) and maybe 20 minutes.

None of the routes mentioned by BenSenise can be done entirely on the T-10 card. The L9S line from the airport needs a special airport ticket (4,50€) that allows you to switch to other metro lines but not to tram, bus or train. (Plus that new line is really slow.) And I agree that walking from El Clot - Aragó is not a good idea.

I would go for the Aerobus + L1 option already mentioned if you land at terminal 1. From terminal 2, if the wait for the train is not too long (trains at :08 and :38) take the train to El Clot and a taxi from there. If not, A2 + metro L1.

If you land at T1, you can't buy a T10 card at the airport in the evening. You'll have to buy at the Plaça Catalunya metro station.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure what the issue with walking from El Clot - Aragó is. The park? I suppose there are few cities in the world where a first-timer should be walking at 11 p.m. with luggage and a map out.

Maybe I've been living in Barcelona too long but I would happily walk around this area at night rather than the main Ramblas, Barrio Gotico, etc. at night. I would also rather be walking from the Cercanias train station than being on any metro line trying to get closer to the hotel...

If one is at all concerned about safety, take the Aerobus to the centre, but get off a stop or two before Plaza Catalunya and hail a taxi from along Gran Via street.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Did the walk from El Clot train station to the hotel as a first time visitor several weeks ago after taking the R2N from the airport. At no point did I feel unsafe. By that time, it was close to midnight on a Friday night and there weren't many people out walking at that time. Although I am glad that I had my phone in order to get my bearings when leaving the underground station.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
4PointsBarcelona: RooftopGym with a view: Pictures and review of 4P Barcelona 2016

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/857937...57665551948160

In February 2016 I have stayed for the second time in the 4P Barcelona. The first time, some years ago, was not a success regarding the offered quality. The service was however very friendly and warm.

I took the bus at rushhour to the hotel, and yes it was very crowded and a relatively long ride. But is was nice to be with the very friendly Catalans who helped me out where to stop for the hotel!
Close to the hotel is a small modern and attractive shoppingmall and many offices. The metro is approx. 10 min. walking away. I do not find it easy to take the metro with a suitcase of heavy baggage, since you have to take a lot of stairs,
Upon entering the hotel, I noticed the receptionarea/lobby had been renovated in nice way, with a comfy and attractive bright seating area and some tables.
The check in was efficient and somewhat impersonal. According to the receptionist (trainee) she would not need to give me any information since “You know how it works”.

I was very happy with my Executive room, since it was a spacious cornerroom with a great view of the Sagrada Familia on a high floor. The last time I had a similar room, but it was called a Comfortroom but the view from this room was much better! I did not receive a welcome message or welcome amenity.
The room offered a relatively comfortable kingbed, a small desk with chair, a smallish coffeemachine, a dockstation/radio/clock, a safe in the closet and a nice size flatsquare tv.
I was not able to find the small instruction of the safe. I had to call the reception twice, since they forgot about me. They told me to enter a 4 digit code but it did not work. When the service man came to help me out, it appeared it was a 5 digit code.
The clock in the room confused me, I could see a timedifference of one hour… So I thought it was wise to adjust my watch. I was happy since now I had more time to go into town. ( However when I asked the time at the reception it appeared the clock in the room was not giving the right time…)
I could use a cup of coffee so I used the machine. No instruction how to use it however but I was able to use it. No available paper cups which would fit in, they are just too large. So one has to maneuver the cups in the right position and hold the cup in your hand when the machine is working. Not a comfortable way to make your coffee and not up to Starwood standards.
Only two sachets/cups of coffee appeared to be complimentary, one decaffeinated. A small complimentary offer for an executive room. I did not see a way how to order more cups. I did ask at the reception, they told me this was standard and I could have one free ordered coffee a day ( excl of roomservicecosts). They made an exception an did give me some more sachets/cups, and they repaired/adjusted the clock.
The lights in the room were energysavers. I am happy the hotel has a green way of operating. Just as the lamps in the bathroom, the lights in the room give cold bright umpleasant ambiance. More over, the bedlamps are far from stylish and look very inexpensive/cheap in this Executive room.
I missed a comfychair. I did enjoy the tv and many tv channels which I had to watch sitting on the bed..
I experienced the kingbed as comfortable and was happy the hotel arranged a blanket, since I am allergic to a duvet with feathers! Though Element hotels ( Westin) offers the Heavenly bed, 4P does not offer the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper.

The thermostat did not go below 22 C, so it was a very, very hot in the night. I was very lucky I could open the small window a little wich made the night more comfortable
The Comfortrooms used to offer a bathtub, but since the rooms were “renovated and upgraded” the bathtub was gone….. which I truly regret….. Instead one can have a shower in a very narrow showerarea. The bathroom did offer a bidet. The light is very bright and together with the white tiles and standard interior the bathroomambiance was rather cold and unpleasant..
This Executiveroom did not offer any slippers or bathrobe, which one can expect in a executive room.

I liked the spaciousness of my room and was happy I could even do some gym exercising.

The restaurant seemed the same as some years before, and with the big tv and bar I experience this place more or less as a canteen to me. Nevertheless, they serve a very decent basic breakfeastbuffet, especially considering the very economic price when making a reservation before arriving.
The buffet offered a limited range of breads and healthy grain products, a nice range of cheeses and colt cut meat. I did find some healthy muesli though, and it was great to find out the buffet offered low/non fat yoghurt.
This time I enjoyed my coffee, self-service at the WMF coffeemachine. The quality of the breakfastitems seemed to have improved since my last visit. Service was friendly and they even “take a step further” to please. It just happened the small muffins were finished but the kitchen wanted to make some for me! Though I did not want them to do this especially for me, the buffet was almost closed, they did serve some muffins to me. It was so friendly and serviceminded!

At the rooftop is the gym with some nice modern and uptodate machines. You will have one of the greatest views when doing the cardio!

Resuming, The Executive room is not on par with the expectations I have in Starwoodproperties. I offers a sterile and standard bathroom without a bathtub with a very smallish/narrow shower and white lights, no slippers or a bathrobe, a coffee machine ( no Nespresso or Illy btw) without instructions and cups/mugs which fit do not fit into the machine, only one sachet coffee one decaffeinated coffee and one tea, a hot room with a thermostat whith minimal of 22C degrees, a not so pleasant/cozy ambiance when the lights are turned, no comfortable chair and no stocked minibar.
On the positive side the executive room is spacious, does have large windows and a great view, a small window which can be opened for some fresh air, a comfy kingbed, a nice flatsquare tv with many channels. The bathroom is also spacious and even offers a bidet. The lamps in the room and hotel are energysavers and f.i. near the elevator are separated garbage bins.

I did have a much better stay compared to the one before, regarding the offered quality of products, friendliness of service and trying to keep in mind this is a 4P hotel and not a Whotel. I want to thank the FOM for the arrangement he made for me!

So, yes I will return again for a short stay, before I will leave for the WBarcelona, which has become one of my favorite Starwoodhotels!

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/857937...57665551948160
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by econ
Did the walk from El Clot train station to the hotel as a first time visitor several weeks ago after taking the R2N from the airport. At no point did I feel unsafe. By that time, it was close to midnight on a Friday night and there weren't many people out walking at that time. Although I am glad that I had my phone in order to get my bearings when leaving the underground station.
Thanks for the reassurance! What phone service did you use? I'm only there for three days, is there a reliable prepaid service for X gigs of data?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:53 am

First time in Barcelona, trying to decide between the 4P and Whotel, I have the pros and cons for both but still difficult and can't decide. Can anyone help provide some additional insight between my options? Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by sxc234
First time in Barcelona, trying to decide between the 4P and Whotel, I have the pros and cons for both but still difficult and can't decide. Can anyone help provide some additional insight between my options? Thanks.

If you expect to walk or take transit, you'll much prefer the 4P location (1 minute walk to tram versus 20 minute walk to metro for W). If you expect to take cabs/drive then W will provide a better view and a beach for an evening swim.

Last edited by ftrbt; Aug 30, 2016 at 8:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.