Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hiroshima, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

As of February 2015

Limited Rollaway Bed Availability

On the following dates, rollaway beds are unavailable:

• July 27 August 7, 2016
  • August 9 13, 2016
  • August 18 20, 2016

The available number of baby cribs is also limited during this time. Please contact the hotel at reservation dot hiroshima at sheraton dot com for further Information.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hiroshima, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Thanks Luna6 for the above. This was a great help.
The Breakfast Promos are great and ideal for us - but the prices for Oct 11-18 are way too high.

We've just tried booking a reservation here and the prices for the week we need are the most expensive over the three months SEP-OCT-NOV.

Anyone have any idea why the weekending Oct 18th is the most costly over the three months?

We may have to go back to the Granvia's matchbox rooms because the price increase more than wipes out all the breakfast surcharges!
Base on the hotel categories listing, it indicates it's peak season for the hotel: 7/31/2015 - 8/29/2015. Interestingly the Starpoints redemption increases from 12k-16k for that Oct 18th weekend as well as for the previous weekend. The later weekend however is standard 12k.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
We just gave up on overpriced Sheraton Hiroshima!

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Base on the hotel categories listing, it indicates it's peak season for the hotel: 7/31/2015 - 8/29/2015. ??? Interestingly the Starpoints redemption increases from 12k-16k for that Oct 18th weekend as well as for the previous weekend. The later weekend however is standard 12k.
Just had a final look at King Deluxe flexible rate with Breakfast: rate for our arrival date October 18th 24,000 Yen; unbelievable.

Rate for preceding and following Wednesdays 18,000 Yen.

We stayed at the Hotel Granvia opposite four years ago and had looked forward to staying at the not-yet-opened Sheraton next time. (The pictures on our Mar 04 posting are of the Sheraton as seen from our Hotel Granvia room in 2010)

Now we've given up on Sheraton and are returning to the Granvia for four nights - at half the Sheraton's price! Age and health will likely preclude another visit to Hiroshima - ironically our favourite city in Japan so far!
Old May 17, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Just had a final look at King Deluxe flexible rate with Breakfast: rate for our arrival date October 18th 24,000 Yen; unbelievable.

Rate for preceding and following Wednesdays 18,000 Yen.

We stayed at the Hotel Granvia opposite four years ago and had looked forward to staying at the not-yet-opened Sheraton next time. (The pictures on our Mar 04 posting are of the Sheraton as seen from our Hotel Granvia room in 2010)

Now we've given up on Sheraton and are returning to the Granvia for four nights - at half the Sheraton's price! Age and health will likely preclude another visit to Hiroshima - ironically our favourite city in Japan so far!
Sorry I overlooked the year, should be 8/1/2014 - 8/30/2014 listed as peak season.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Sorry I overlooked the year, should be 8/1/2014 - 8/30/2014 listed as peak season.
Anyone know why this is peak season?

We are going there tentatively Aug 14 for 2 or 3 nights. I can do C&P (6K SPG + $110 USD), 16K SPG or over Y30,000 per night. I'm not paying that last one I can tell you.

Initially I planned on a 3 nighter in Hiroshima but I think I'm knocking this down to two nights as I'm not sure there is a lot to do with the kids and once we see Peace Park, that will be what I went there for; the prices may as well be in Tokyo.

Since i have no status, I won't be getting CL access. So that isn't a draw for me.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyone know why this is peak season?

We are going there tentatively Aug 14 for 2 or 3 nights. I can do C&P (6K SPG + $110 USD), 16K SPG or over Y30,000 per night. I'm not paying that last one I can tell you.
School summer holidays run from 7/21 until 8/31, but more importantly it is Obon time.

There are 3 peak travel seasons for Japanese: NY holidays, Golden Week (end of April/beginning of May) and Obon in August. These are most expensive times for travel.

C&P looks very reasonable. Also, consider going to Miyajima - you can catch a speedboat from Peace Park or take a train to Miyajimaguchi and catch a ferry from there. Definitely worth it.

Last edited by MichaelJapan; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:45 pm Reason: add more info
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is an pretty average international Sheraton hotel, based right next to the Shinkansen exit of the JR Hiroshima station. If you take the airport limousine bus from the airport, it drops you off half a block away from the hotel entrance. The location is not central to Hiroshima, but has a great variety of transit options. For example, all trams start at the JR station, and theres easy access to the Miyajima ferry via JR Rail. The Sightseeing Loop Bus starts in front of the hotel as well. There are also plenty of food options nearby in the JR station, and across the street accessible via a walkway on the 2nd floor.

When I checked in, there were no upgraded rooms available, and I was put in a Deluxe Room. Its a pretty standard size, with an open bathroom layout. There was a box of Japanese sweets waiting for me in the room, and are given two bottles of water a day. The room felt a bit humid, even with the AC on. Other than that, I had no complaints.

For breakfast, you can have 500 points and eat breakfast in the lounge. If you want to eat in the restaurant downstairs, there will be a 1028 Yen surcharge (about 50% off). I didnt ask if you could choose breakfast downstairs in lieu of the 500 points though. The Lounge is open all day, and serves a traditional continental breakfast, along with hot items such as scrambled eggs, potatoes, fish, waffle wedges, sausage, and bacon. Soft drinks and wine are available all day. In the evenings, the lounge puts out extremely light appetizers. A bit of a disappointment, really. Beef salad, tater tots, veggies, and such. One day I didnt even find anything of interest to eat! I expected a heartier selection, especially in Asia!

The gym is pretty standard, and contains all the necessary cardio machines and weights. Its open 24/7. I passed a neat looking lap pool too. The pool/jacuzzi fee is 1620 Yen/person, and the Sauna is 540 Yen/person. Fitness center is free.

The hotel staff are all friendly, and the ones I dealt with all had a great grasp of English. WiFi speeds are about average. Sometimes it would drop out, and I would have to disconnect and reconnect to get things going again. All in all, this is a pretty solid Sheraton, and I would definitely stay here again.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Just stayed here and we were really pleased. The report by Condition One is generally accurate, but I would add the following:

1. We had 2 rooms (My wife and I plus second room for 2 adult children). They put us into "Deluxe Corner" rooms across the hall from each other, which was just perfect. (One had a King bed, one had 2 Queens). They are only required to "upgrade" one room.

2. They gave all 4 of us lounge access (both rooms, even though they only had to do my room).

3. The food offerings in the lounge, while not stunning by Asia hotel standards, were a little better than described by Condition One. My wife had her light dinner there and was very pleased with he lamb stew. We all had breakfast and other snacks in the lounge.

4. They are currently offering 50% off on the dinner buffet for room guests. My kids and I had the "french" buffet for about 2,500Y each (50% off on Sunday night). It was quite acceptable.

5. Instead of the 500 points I took the Sake. I was pleased.

6. Staff was more than helpful. One night stay and they still recognized us as we moved around the hotel.

7. Didn't have problems with the Wifi. Used the luggage storage while we went out to sites, came back and luggage was waiting on the first floor (lobby is on 6th floor). Very convenient.

I think they did a great job.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:27 am

Nice reviews.

I'm planning to stay here for a few days in Mid Feb next year. Gonna take the Shinkansen from Osaka.

Last edited by lcpteck; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:40 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:40 am

Added Instant Awards catalogue found in the room to wiki.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Great property, very modern. Room huge, bathroom enormous. Lounge excellent. Close to station, good transport options. Breakfast good. Would stay here again.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

Wiki updated.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Here now for one night.

Booked a deluxe room at 13500 Yen, got "upgraded" to a deluxe corner room - no suites in the upgrade pool here. The corner room is little bigger than de regular deluxe room, and with better views. The room is ok, but the furniture is of low quality. Seems like they went for the lowest prices, cheap fixtures in the bathroom also, can see wear and tear already. But, nice views from the sitting group and the tub and a nice bed

The club lounge is nice. Great views, and I found the offerings to be good. Yeah, you could definately make it a (light) dinner there during happy hours (which is from 5PM till 8PM, by the way).

Wifi works very well throughout the hotel as well.

Received a nice welcome box from the manager with Japanese treats. Nice gesture.

Staff is attentive, just like most hotels in Japan. Location is great for me Would stay here again.

UPDATE: I phoned down to the FD to inquire about the pool charges. They informed me that they were still in place, and at 1620 Yen per person per entry. There was no free entrance for platinum members. ONLY for those staying in Club rooms, which is at 20th and 21st floor, she said. So unless you get upgraded to one of those floors you have to pay the fee. I got a room at the 17th floor, so no free access for me

Last edited by skrosvik; Sep 3, 2015 at 6:09 am
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:54 am

Stayed WAY back here in the middle of the summer 2011-2012, it was something like a cat ii or iii and SUPER cheap on cash+points. Connected to the JR station, got beautiful suite as a plat, club lounge had amazing dinner and breakfast. Location was amazing for mostly everything that we did (long distanced day trips). I'd love to come back but now I'm seeing spg nights for 16k spg devluation or was i lucky to have this hotel 3 nights for less than 10k spg and $120?

I know, useless, but this was one of my most favorite SPG stays ever. I even remember the only machine I have only seen dispense green apple chu hi that was just 3 blocks away...haven't seen nor tasted it since
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Stayed here for one night last week using 16,000 points. Got upgraded to a Club Room using an SNA (I suppose SNAs are not only for Suites then). The room itself was quite nice and modern - much nicer than Sheraton rooms in the US. Would probably be better than most Westin rooms in the US for that matter.

Breakfast in the lounge was okay.

One interesting thing was that I was going to be arriving around 10 am and had asked for Your24 which was approved pre-arrival, but when I tried walking into the hotel from the Shinkansen station, I was stopped by the lady at the ground floor who insisted that no one is allowed up to the lobby until the official check-in time of 3 PM. Had to ask for the Manager to be called before it was finally sorted out.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by phbl
Stayed WAY back here in the middle of the summer 2011-2012, it was something like a cat ii or iii and SUPER cheap on cash+points. Connected to the JR station, got beautiful suite as a plat, club lounge had amazing dinner and breakfast. Location was amazing for mostly everything that we did (long distanced day trips). I'd love to come back but now I'm seeing spg nights for 16k spg devluation or was i lucky to have this hotel 3 nights for less than 10k spg and $120?
The 16k Starpoint rate is the "high season" rate, which is a little puzzling because "high season" frequently coincides with revenue rates in the 14k yen range. IMO, the hotel is absurdly miscategorized, and extremely poor value on points most of the year ... basically, at the "standard" rate of 12k Starpoints, cash rates would have to be >25k yen to make it a redemption worth considering, and >35k yen to make it a great redemption. Do your own math for "high season" rates. I have three stays here this year (in Spring and Fall), with paid rates from 13k to 15k yen, which is less than the cash component of C&P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.